Am I being realistic? AR-15 canted sight

Maybe I misunderstood the issue, but I thought the gun was actually hitting point-of-aim with the rear sight position only being a couple clicks off center. That rear sight position is fine. So if that is the case, if you knock the front sight back to top-dead-center, it will no longer hit point-of-aim and you'll have to move your rear sight way off to one side to "hopefully" get it on target.

Those retainment pins in the front sight tower don't hold the sight perfectly straight every time, and will allow for some rotation if you hit the tower with a large dead blow hammer. I would suspect that when the upper was assembled, there was some sort of debri caught in the barrel extension seam, causing the barrel to be cocked to one side. When the assembler installed the front sight, he probably inserted a bore sight in the barrel, then knocked the front sight into alignment with the laser. Unfortunately, with the barrel cocked to one side, the front sight had to be jacked over as well to get it to hit point-of-aim. Knocking the front sight back to TDC, is just going to move the problem back to the rear sight.

Tony

Yeah Tony that is making the most sense. That's gotta be it. The upper gets here tomorrow and after work I'll take a good look at it and measure to see if the entire barrel is crooked. If that's all the case, I think I'll just say screw it and keep it how it is. Maybe even cut the front sight down to run an extended quad rail or something. I'll post pics ASAP tomorrow afternoon for whoever is still interested.

Hold a straight edge against the top rail that is long enough to reach the muzzle. Look down from the top of the rifle, the straight edge will make it easy to eyeball weather or not your barrel is crooked.

Ok, so I got my upper back today, mounted it my lower and what do you know? The sight HAS been adjusted! I noticed thick grease coming out of where the barrel is threaded into the receiver, so I believe the barrel was taken off. Maybe the guy I talked to on the phone had his information incorrect and my upper was actually worked on properly? After all, he wasn't the smith actually working on it.

I snapped some pics with my phone, but I will wait until tomorrow to post them using my computer. Whenever I try to post pics off my phone to this site, it never seems to work.

So... $10,000.00 question... Is it straight?

Yep, the barrel was worked with.

That grease or anti-seize, is to keep the barrel and receiver from galling.

Some people put up to 80#s, or more, of torque tightening down a barrel nut.

So is it straight?

• Like 1

I don't know if you guys can really see the detail in these pictures, and they aren't the best, but I think you could get the idea about where the sight lines up. In some of the pics, the whole gun is angled and the flash being slightly to the left of the camera lens gives misleading shadows on the gun. I would say it is probably still off by a half of a degree or so, but it is good enough for me and is definitely better!

What do y'all think?

image_zps9f4f59d2.jpg

image_zps52a8fd2e.jpg

image_zpse3db4868.jpg

So... It sounds like Tony was on the right track?

Yeah, I'd say that was probably it. I'm not gunna go through the hassle of confirming it with them though.

Edited by socom688
  • 4 weeks later...

well what do you know...I took out my PSA upper, took the optic off to site in the irons for the first time and the front site is canted to the left. I'm not going to worry too much about it though. This is my beater AR. I tried to put it together as cheaply as possible. But I might put a low profile gas block on and a quad rail. But for what I paid for it, I'm just happy it goes bang every time.

I wouldnt cut a sight down. Replacing it is very simple with a couple dlars worth of tools and there are youtube videos on how to do it. Get a low profile gas block and replace it and be done with it. I had an issue with a Stag lower i built not too long ago. They fixed it with no problem and even fit the lower to my upper for free and removed any and all chance of movement while they had it. The guy i talked to was a dick but it seemed more like his personality than how he was toward me.

I would personally make them fix it since you paid for a product with certain expectations and as long as they are reasonable the company should meet them. Never hurts to go to the top (guy in charge) and have him delegate down. Things tend to be handled the right way then.

like Max, I can't stand not having it be off. I mean if it were a Kalashnikov, I wouldn't even be posting this.

Blasphemer! I'll have you know, Mr. Fancy AR, all my AK sights are straight! wink.png

If you truly can't stand it, and the manufacturer has walked away, then it's your problem. It wouldn't change the outcome for me. I'd get them lined up to the receiver and the bore as well as possible, without damaging functionality. If you can't do it, take it to someone that can.

Or I guess you could put a couple of lasers and red dots and scopes on it, since it's an AR. 021.gif

Yah! watch your mouth Mr Fancy AR guy.

like Max, I can't stand not having it be off. I mean if it were a Kalashnikov, I wouldn't even be posting this.

Blasphemer! I'll have you know, Mr. Fancy AR, all my AK sights are straight! wink.png

If you truly can't stand it, and the manufacturer has walked away, then it's your problem. It wouldn't change the outcome for me. I'd get them lined up to the receiver and the bore as well as possible, without damaging functionality. If you can't do it, take it to someone that can.

Or I guess you could put a couple of lasers and red dots and scopes on it, since it's an AR. 021.gif

Hehehe... I couldn't resist the fun! :)

Eeasy lads, I own 3 Kalashnikovs and have since before I got the AR! And trust me, it's not the AR I will be grabbing if SHTF ;)

• Like 1

Seriousl

Eeasy lads, I own 3 Kalashnikovs and have since before I got the AR! And trust me, it's not the AR I will be grabbing if SHTF wink.png

Bahaha! Seriously, I was just rattling chains!!! I just couldn't resist after the "if it were a Kalashnikov" line! :)

My main hobbies are cars, guns, audio, and video games. The good news about all of those hobbies is that there is a lot of variety out there and no one answer is the right one for everyone. Therefore, I try to collect them ALL!!! :)

I have used DPMS, Doublestar, a few BCMs, and a few PSA uppers over the years.

I had one with a canted sight from PSA- but they took care of it. They move a LOT of product. And... while I'm not surprised as accidents happen... they did a great job of fixing it. Aside from that one, little hiccup- it's my favorite middy.

If you still aren't happy- send it back until they get it right. JMHO, but that is what I'd do. They don't like it when things go out the door jacked up... because it gets all over forums like this and it is very bad for business.

ADD: Get a laser pen and point it down the carry handle toward the front site. That should help you determine if it is still off. Hope that helps!

Edited by Vulcan
I have used DPMS, Doublestar, a few BCMs, and a few PSA uppers over the years.

I had one with a canted sight from PSA- but they took care of it. They move a LOT of product. And... while I'm not surprised as accidents happen... they did a great job of fixing it. Aside from that one, little hiccup- it's my favorite middy.

If you still aren't happy- send it back until they get it right. JMHO, but that is what I'd do. They don't like it when things go out the door jacked up... because it gets all over forums like this and it is very bad for business.

ADD: Get a laser pen and point it down the carry handle toward the front site. That should help you determine if it is still off. Hope that helps!

All is well, they fixed the cant and it still shoots lights out. I was shooting rocks about an inch and a half in diameter from 35 yards away (I was shooting at my friend's property and we ran out of targets, so I needed something small but would still pop/react when I hit it!).

Edited by socom688
  • Like 1