Fully Dissassemble the Saiga?

Im going to sandblast and refinish my saiga 12. I just converted it and dont like the factory or the touch up paint i added. I know most of you guys just sandblast and prep with the barrel attached to the receiver but i would like to detach them as well as the side rail but i dont know how i would put it back on after... can you guys offer some help or guidance?

Well for one thing, even if you do it right and don't mess anything up, you still have to set rivets and a barrel pin after you paint, which will then require a re-paint. If you don't know how to set rivets, then you likely don't have the tools, and likely also don't realize there is a learning curve to properly setting them(not for me of course, every rivet I ever set was absolutely perfectwink.png )

There is also no reason to paint with the barrel pulled, you cant paint in between the barrel and the trunnion anyway, as it is a toleranced interference fit, so you would have to mask off the area, which would be impossible to get perfect and you would have a nice hard line to worry about.

So basically you would be doing a lot of work, that you admittedly are not experienced/skilled at doing, for the sole purpose of having an inferior finished product.

The factory paints them already assembled for a reason.

• Like 3
Hard to argue with ObiWan's advice and logic.

So I won't.

+1

I guess if you have money to burn and time to waste you could argue with ObiWan.

Personally, I really like how Saiga 12's and other AK's factory finish looks when they have been used and battle worn. Looks more like it is a weapon and not a toy.

I am not against refinishing your rifle though ChunkyMonkey. If done right you could have a nice looking shotgun like the pictures below (photos posted by diable_noir on another site).

post-45752-0-74994400-1361716665_thumb.jpg

post-45752-0-04964100-1361716976_thumb.jpg

Edited by sweetcostarica
Im going to sandblast and refinish my saiga 12. I just converted it and dont like the factory or the touch up paint i added. I know most of you guys just sandblast and prep with the barrel attached to the receiver but i would like to detach them as well as the side rail but i dont know how i would put it back on after... can you guys offer some help or guidance?

Sure. Don't do it. Seriously. Don't even paint it

Please leave the gun alone :'(

alright alright... i wont take it apart. But im still gonna sandblast, parkerize, and moly it. I do it to all of my weapons and this one will be no different;) i can come to terms with leaving the barrel on, but id really like to remove the side rail mount and put it back on after. I know its not painted under it and its killing me to know theres exposed metal (even if its under another piece of metal). Are rivets the only way you guys have reattached the side mount? If so, its looking like i wont get to take that off either.

If you really really want to, you could probably thin the crap out of the paint and get it to flow under that side rail. It's going to leave one hell of a mess on the rest of the gun to clean up, then recoat.

I'm OCD as hell and probably wouldn't do that. ;)

Once you get it painted and cured just spray some oil around the rail to get oil under it. Remember that the trunions don't have paint under them either. You're looking at this rifle ass if it's going to be outdoors in a marine environment for a prolonged period of time. I doubt that's the case..but regular care will negate those effects despite the lack of a Maine grade coating.