has anyone tried this type of stock?

I really like the under folding AK stock but im happy with my 7.62 rifles the way they are already. Im picking up an S12 real soon and was curious if anyone has installed a under folder or if it is even possible. If so how does it look and function?

Just checked a few pics. Think i might go underfolder on a future 5.45 and go with a DPH & side folder on the S12. I REALLY would like to SBR it but im not even sure where to start as far as how to apply. I understand bringing the S12 down to say 12" or so will require alot of patience, modding of the gas system and probably $$$ but considering how long it'll probably take to get a SBR stamp, I'd have time. Maybe it'd be best to get the stamp, save my pennies and buy one already done.

My wheels are spinning at this early hour. Getting too excited to pick this S12 up.

That's one of the projects that make more sense to have a pro do for you in most cases. SBS should be done by a smith who has cranked out a bunch, not just a guy who has done SBRs and a few S12 conversions and figures he can probably do it.

Yes it costs money.

One way to speed up the timeline is have the smith short gas it for you, and apply for the stamp. When the stamp clears, chop the barrel yourself and enlarge the new ports if needed.

• Like 1
Just checked a few pics. Think i might go underfolder on a future 5.45 and go with a DPH & side folder on the S12. I REALLY would like to SBR it but im not even sure where to start as far as how to apply. I understand bringing the S12 down to say 12" or so will require alot of patience, modding of the gas system and probably $$$ but considering how long it'll probably take to get a SBR stamp, I'd have time. Maybe it'd be best to get the stamp, save my pennies and buy one already done. My wheels are spinning at this early hour. Getting too excited to pick this S12 up.

Cutting your S-12 barrel down to 12" would make it an SBS, not an SBR. I just want to make that clear as they are not the same thing and they are not always both permitted in every state.

Okay so after a little research i found out if i want my SBS S12 i need to move 4 hour's west into SD. Only C&R SBS are allowed so I'm done with that idea. Looks like ill cut it to 16.5 and weld on a flash hider/MB. I'll be probably save an extra grand now i can put into a 5.45 build at least. Damn...

Seems like I remember a guy building an underfolder saiga on here. And it seems like he lived in a commy state that required him to permantly fix it open, after all the work he had done.May have been on another site too. I would love to do that ot my 7.62 saiga.

Okay so after a little research i found out if i want my SBS S12 i need to move 4 hour's west into SD. Only C&R SBS are allowed so I'm done with that idea. Looks like ill cut it to 16.5 and weld on a flash hider/MB. I'll be probably save an extra grand now i can put into a 5.45 build at least. Damn...

Bummer... I'm in the same camp. :( You can probably have an AOW s-12 though! I've been thinking about it...

You can't make an AOW from an S12. You'll need a virgin receiver to do so. AOWs can't have stocks, ever. If it ever had a stock then it's a weapon made from a shotgun (SBS) even if you take the stock off. Cadiz is making AOW S12s, maybe a few others. In the case of the S12 an AOW is basically a pistol. Cost for tax stamp to make an AOW is $200, cost for tax stamp to transfer is $5.

Smoothbore handguns, handguns with vertical fore grips, pen guns, wallet guns, cane/umbrella guns, etc. are all examples of AOWs.

Yes, it can still have a short barrel. Pretty much everything Nov said is right on. If it ever had a stock it's AOW days are behind it. You can't put a stock on an AOW shotgun either. That would make it an SBS. Virgin, never built, receiver is the key. The way I understand it Cadiz makes their own receiver for the S12 AOW.

Wow for $3k ill have to pass! Im not sure if i really like a shotgun without a stock anyway, i like a folding stock for concealability when needed but a stock is a must for a serious shotgun IMO.

A SBS with side folder is what i really want but for ~$1k i can build a S12 with 18" barrel (perm attached brake), Chaos Titan and DPH side folder. Realistically more like $1300 but its no three grand plus tax stamp & the long wait. Oh well.. thanks guys!

ive done 2. the recoil is brutal, ya cant fold up the stock with longer than probably an 8rd mag, but they are fun!

i had bought whole underfolder kits from centerfire for 69 bucks or something (hehehe 69 he he) that came with stock, trunion and mechanism... kinda hard to find now...

IMG_20110403_195224.jpg

ms12folded.jpg

Edited by saltydecimator
Wow for $3k ill have to pass! Im not sure if i really like a shotgun without a stock anyway, i like a folding stock for concealability when needed but a stock is a must for a serious shotgun IMO. A SBS with side folder is what i really want but for ~$1k i can build a S12 with 18" barrel (perm attached brake), Chaos Titan and DPH side folder. Realistically more like $1300 but its no three grand plus tax stamp & the long wait. Oh well.. thanks guys!

You have to keep in mind that in that price is a fully professionally converted S12. If you look at some of the other S-12 expert shops pricing, and consider Cadiz is making a one off custom receiver, $3k is actually looking pretty fair. I agree that it's a bit steep, for any gun, to me right now. My preferred approach is just to get SBS allowed in my state. Haven't started that fight yet.

ive done 2. the recoil is brutal, ya cant fold up the stock with longer than probably an 8rd mag, but they are fun!

i had bought whole underfolder kits from centerfire for 69 bucks or something (hehehe 69 he he) that came with stock, trunion and mechanism... kinda hard to find now...

Exactly why I didn't lust for an underfolder on my S-12. As much as I love my Yugo, I just thought it was be too punishing with a 12ga... Seems like a good idea on a .410. Centerfire still had the underfolders in stock in January. Can't be found on their site now. :(

That's one of the projects that make more sense to have a pro do for you in most cases. SBS should be done by a smith who has cranked out a bunch, not just a guy who has done SBRs and a few S12 conversions and figures he can probably do it.
LOL! I was that guy, fo the most part. The OP could have some hidden talent. I think he should go for it and find out what his limitations are, if any. You never know, he may be a sleeper.

ETA: .... after he gets out from behind enemy lines. I'm on my phone, sorry.

Edited by evlblkwpnz