ATTN CNY AK builders: can this receiver be salvaged?

I got this Saiga receiver in a trade a few years ago and just found it again today. Not sure why someone would hack up a Saiga though?

Anyway, when the front and rear trunnions were removed, the rivets weren't drilled on center, so some of the holes in the receiver are slightly out of round now. It doesn't appear that anything else on the receiver is messed with, so I was wondering if the holes can be welded and re-drilled? I've attached a few pics of the receiver, below.

Anyone in the CNY area that has experience welding on guns/receivers? I'm about 30 minutes east of Syracuse and I wouldn't mind driving a bit if I can find someone that can fix this.

Eric

101_1802_zps3b05c172.jpg

101_1806_zps6b4f0335.jpg

101_1805_zps2a57c16e.jpg

101_1804_zps1852637e.jpg

101_1803_zpscbd28881.jpg

Hell yes. Saveable. You truely don't need to weld and redrill. A good rivet squisher can fill the holes and make it solid. I would use it.

weld the hloes that need welding, use it.

Sweet! Now I need to get the rest of the parts.

Do you or anyone you know do build parties? I have no AK building tools and I'm really starting from scratch on this one

I'm willing to help you out. LOL Your a few weeks later, I sold a complete matching #'s front end parts kit.

Story of my life, HA! I appreciate the offer for help. I'll get back to you once I have all the parts I need.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

try AK-builder.com or Apex gun parts.

I was hoping to find someone nearby to help out/guide me through re-building the receiver. So far I've got all the receiver parts but im missing the barrel, etc. At the least I'd like to get the trunnions riveted in.

• Like 1

I don't know any builders around Syracuse, there are AK build parties that spring up once in a while near the coast. The advantage there are people with tools and skills to help you along, but it's doable to find other people in your area or at least get your local friends interested in building. That way you can split the cost of jigs, tools and help each other.

You can get a receiver from Childer's for something like $50, so it's not that hard to get one. You'be better off getting a kit that comes with a barrel that was populated to the trunnion. One less thing that you have to do means less tools and less headache.