I Wondered How Long It Would Take...

I thought the whole thing could be debunked but it's not encouraging to have an ATF type actually say there's a loophole. I don't know enough about NFA weapons and parts but it's always been my impression that anything NFA is scrutinized much more than "regular" firearms transactions.

But it only makes sense.

A criminal will usually want to go to a lawyer and spend hundreds of dollars setting up a trust, then pay another two hundred to the government, then wait 6-10 months before creating a weapon which is still 100% traceable to him, which he's still not legally allowed to possess, instead of simply sawing off the barrel in his garage with nobody being the wiser.

/sarcasm

If this has ever happened even one time I'd be surprised. And if it has, chances are that the guy who did it didn't even realize he was a prohibitted possessor.

And the arguments about avoiding cleo signoff and lack of background checks is now moot, given the recent changes in the rules.

• Like 2