RAAC OEM 10 round mags will not lock into magwell

Brand new RAAC 10 round mags appear to not seat deeply enough to lock into the magwell. Are others having the problem and what is the best method to fix?

I assume that they can be fixed by removing material to allow the mags to seat deeper into the magwell. Probably possible by removing material from either the mag or even the magwell (ie. magwell is not my 1st choice). Also, I assume that the mag catch slot can be modified too. What have others encountered and how is your success with how you corrected?

One a side-note, it looks to me as though these magwells are in desperate need of opening up the magwell for easier insertion of a magazine. Just playing with these new 10 round magazines, looks to me as though some hand file work is desperately needed. Anyone agree?

Mine is before the XN model (ie. pre-XN if you will).

After some more checking, I believe that I'll try opening the magwell slightly with a hand file. Not only will this hopefully assist with mag insertion, but it appears as though it may allow the mag to seat slightly deeper for the magazine to lock. I did find that one of the new OEM 10 round magazines will lock into place if very firmly inserted. Therefore, I don't believe that it'll take much...

I beleive its the mag catch slot, you have to open the top a little more vertically to get it to lock properly

Thats what I had to do on one of my 10rd mags. Just file a little at a time till it locks.

Will opening the mag catch slot allow the magazine to sit lower within the magwell and therefore possibly lower than necessary for the bolt to pick up the next round?

If so, trimming the overmold on the magazine or slightly opening the magwell opening might prove better for reliability.

Bill

Wait, so the mag catch slot is the part on the reciever? And the overmold is on the actual magazine? I filed the top part of the square hole on the magazine where it locks in.

What you described would be one of 3 possible ways that I'm learning this could be resolved. But, understand that by filing the top of the square hole on the magazine, this should in theory lock the magazine into the magwell but slightly "lower" than intended. Possibly not "low" enough to cause a problem with feeding, but something to consider.

The other 2 possible ways include "A" removing some of the overmold from the magazine so that it will lock into the magwell, or "B" opening the bottom of the magwell so that the overmolded magazine can be inserted deeper into the magwell until it locks. Overall, both A and B do not involve modifying where the magazine would ultimately "lock" into the magwell and possibly cause a feeding problem.

So overall, 3 possible ways to skin-the-cat. For myself, I'm going with opening the bottom of the magwell. This choice if done correctly, should also provide a benefit of allow faster magazine insertation into the magwell.

I'll report back when I get a chance to report my success/failure. Too many gun projects in front of this one at the moment, but it's not a bad problem to have...

Edited by Barely

My issue was that mag would not lock in. It felt like it was locked but if you pulled on it or shot it it would come out. I don't have any issues with it now. Feeds fine. I just filed a little at a time until it would lock. I don't have any problem with any of my other magazines so that fix works for me.