SAM7K SBR or not to SBR

Advantages of keeping it in pistol configuration?......

Advantages of going SBR?.......

Currently happy with it as a pistol

Not that this would be the most comfortable pistol to carry......I can still carry it in a vehicle with my carry permit.

Also it is very controllable. I didnt do any accuracy testing yet, just dumped a quick mag to see how she ran....it was freezing out and my son wanted to shoot his Ruger 10/22 on the indoor range. Next trip I will set up multiple targets and go through a few mags to see how it works out

post-22193-0-45607500-1361973087_thumb.jpg

post-22193-0-69397200-1361973154.jpg

• Like 1

To SBR or not SBR....this should not be a question.

Advantages to having it as a pistol:

-maybe a little bit lighter than a SBR,

-you have a range toy(kindof joking)

-get to do that one point sling setup you've always wanted to do(joking)

-you don't have to pay $200 to get your stamp

-no wait for any paper work or filling out paper work, passport photos, etc.

-slightly more compact, might fit in truck as a truck gun better than SBR. are you really going to use a stock in your truck/car? but if you get out? maybe.

-fits in the safe a little better

Advanteges of SBR:

-Can attach foregrip legally, EDIT: and a buttstock legally, how'd I forget that.

-better control=better accuracy=more bang for your buck if you will. unless you like the one point sling or shoot'n willy nilly?

-ITS AN SBR(cool factor of owning one, some states don't have this luxury.)

-get to nudge stuff around with a buttstock now too instead of just a brake/booster/hider.

-well, if it was a rifle prior, which its not, It would be lighter having a shorter barrel, but again, not in this case.

that's all I got for now.

Edited by AZG
  • Like 1

GUYS,

IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THESE DRAGO-TYPE AK'S, THERE'S A WAY TO GET NEAR SBR ACCURACY OUT OF ONE WITHOUT DOING THE PAPERWORK DANCE WITH THE ATF.

I HAVE A COUPLE OF CAI's C39 CENTURIONS WITH THE MILLED RECEIVER, AND I HAVE HOOKED ONE OF ARMAGEDDON GEAR's BUNGEE TYPE SLINGS TO THE SWIVEL LOOP AT THE REAR OF THE RECIEVER.

THIS SLING IS INSTANTLY ADJUSTABLE FOR LENGTH, AND IS THE "IT" SLING I'VE SEARCHED FOR FOR 40+ YEARS.

IT'S WORN ON THE RIGHT SIDE, WITH THE GUN SNUGGED-UP ABOUT 7-9" BELOW THE ARMPIT.

WHEN NEEDED, GRASP THE (HOGUE) PISTOL GRIP AND ROTATE IT OUT AND FORWARD, INTERCEPTING THE FOREND WITH THE LEFT HAND WHEN THE MUZZLE IS ABOUT A FOOT IN FRONT OF YOUR TOES.

ON THE FOREND, MOUNTED AT 9 O'CLOCK, IS A STRIKE INDUSTRIES COBRA TACTICAL FORE GRIP, UTILIZED AS A HAND-STOP. IT GREATLY RESEMBLES A MAG-PUL AFG, BUT SMALLER, AND THE BACK SIDE OF IT IS DEEPLY INDENTED TO CATCH THE WEB OF YOUR LEFT HAND.

I HAVE A GREEN LASER MOUNTED AT 6 O'CLOCK; THE LEFT INDEX FINGER LIES BETWEEN THE END OF THE LASER AND THE BOTTOM-SIDE OF THE FOREND, THE OTHER THREE ARE WRAPPED AROUND THE BODY OF THE LASER.

THE GO-PAD FOR THE LASER IS SECURED TO THE SLOTTED UPPER HANDGUARD WITH MINIATURE TIE-WRAPS (TACTICAL BLACK, OF COURSE;~) ), AND LIES IMMEDIATELY TO THE RIGHT OF MY THUMB.

I HAVE THE SLING PRE-ADJUSTED FOR LENGTH (THE 7-9" IS THE "YARDSTICK"), AND AS IT COMES UP, I LEAN INTO IT FROM THE WAIST UP, AND THE SLING RUNS OUT OF STRETCH, JUST AS MY LEFT ELBOW SNAPS OUT STRAIGHT.

DAMNED STEADY, I'LL TELL YOU.

ODDLY ENOUGH, IF WORN ON THE RIGHT SIDE, WITH THE SLING COMING OVER THE TOP OF THE LEFT SHOULDER AT THE NECK/SHOULDER JUNCTURE, AND THE SLING THEREFORE LAYING HARD ALONG THE LEFT JAWLINE, IT'S EASIER TO SIGHT THE RED DOT WITH THE LEFT EYE.

TO TRY TO SIGHT RIGHT-EYED, YOU WOULD HAVE TO TRY TO TURN YOUR HEAD LEFT AND AGAINST THE SLING.

REVERSE FOR LEFTY'S.

I ALSO HAVE PARABELLUM ARMAMENT RAILED RECEIVER COVERS ON BOTH, WITH A FF III ON ONE, AND A SPARC ON THE OTHER.

I TRIED OUT A HALF-DOZEN MUZZLE BRAKES AND FLASH SUPRESSORS ON THESE THINGS TO DETERMINE THE MOST EFFICATIOUS.

FIRST OF ALL, RECOIL IS REALLY NO PROBLEM, AT LEAST USING THE TECHNIQUE DESCRIBED ABOVE (I'VE EVEN FIRED IT BENCHREST, SUPPORTED FORE AND AFT FOR ACCURACY AND KICK WASN'T A PROBLEM), SO THE HUNT WAS MORE FOR FLASH SUPPRESSION.

IN SHORT, THE WORST WAS AN AK-74-TYPE (ABOUT 3' OF FLASH TO EITHER SIDE!), AND THE BEST WAS A SMITH ENTERPRISE VORTEX.

THE VORTEX PRODUCED ABOUT 6-8 SPARKS, THAT'S IT.

VERY IMPRESSIVE, AND THAT WAS WITH BARNAUL BROWN/SILVER BEAR.

IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THESE WEE BEASTIES, OR ACQUIRE ONE, TRY MY ABOVE TECHNIQUE, I THINK YOU'LL BE SURPRISED WITH THE STEADINESS OF IT.

I SEEM TO RECALL THAT THE COUSINS SAS-TYPES USED THE BUNGEE PUSH-OUT TECHNIQUE WITH THEIR STOCKLESS MP5-K's.

THEY'RE NOT KNOWN FOR FAILING VERY OFTEN.............

IF YOU'RE DETERMINED TO SBR IT, TRY THESE TWO STOCK MOUNTING OPTIONS:

JESS1344