Hello everybody my name is Dion. Long time lurker first time poster. I have converted 2 saigas now but this is the first time I have used a magwell. Can somebody point me in the direction of how to modify the sgm mags for the j&e magwell? All I have seen is basic picture that is supposed to come with the magwell. But it looks like the front and rear lugs and the side "stripes" need to be ground off is that true? If so how much?

Welcome. I don't run a magwell, but IIRC you remove material from the sides and the front lug. You'll need to keep the rear lug b/c your mag latch will still need to function normally. You're just removing the need to set the front lug and rock the mag into place.

Welcome. I can point you in the right direction.

Jack Travers. He made that magwell and he is very good about answering questions personally. PM him and give him a phone call.

Mainly though, the forward edge of the cutout in your receiver should be flush with the corresponding surface of the magwell. The magazine needs the front lug removed and a rib around the edge. You want to go slowly and check often because putting material back is a pain.

I suggest leaving it a bit snug, because they will get a little looser after you have shot them a bit. So a bit tighter than drop-free will end up drop-free.

One point where I differ from his great advice is that I do not recommend filing the mag cutout in the receiver wider (which he says to do in the event of a little rim showing inside of the magwell). I used a bit of epoxy like drywall putty to smooth the transition from my magwell to the receiver. It accomplishes the same thing but is completely reversible.

It does feel like you are removing a lot of material from the front, but it is OK. Just slow down and fit check often when you get close. Then quickly rough your other magazines to a bit oversize to the first template mag, and use a file to finish them carefully. A belt sander is a very good tool for quick even material removal if you have one.

If you remove too much from the front your mag will still latch in, but it will droop downward and you may have shells feed into the bottom edge of the barrel.

The magazine is held in alignment by the lower back edge of the magazine well pushing forward, and pivoting off of the release tab. The upper surfaces of the magazine and the front face hold this engagement snug.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey thanks for the info guys. Been a few days since i have been on here. As for the avatar yeah i thought it was funny. Another question I may have removed a bit off the rear of one of my mags... how would i build that back up or would you say it is garbage?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Hey thanks for the info guys. Been a few days since i have been on here. As for the avatar yeah i thought it was funny. Another question I may have removed a bit off the rear of one of my mags... how would i build that back up or would you say it is garbage?

Plastic welding. take your stock that you were going to throw away and use it as fill material. Clean everything with alcohol and cut the stock into thin strips. Then use a soldering iron on low temperature with the cutting tip to massage the fill material into the area you want to build up. There are some helpful videos on youtube.