So … when I told this info to the man from AR500, he kind of chuckled and told me "that's funny, because I talked to a guy this morning that we do business with, he buys used brass, tumbles it, refurbishes it and re-sells it. He also makes new casings and sell those. He said he received a phone call yesterday from the gov't asking if he would fill a 50 billion round order for .223 casings."

"Did you say 50 billion? With a "B"?" I asked him.

He laughed and said "that's exactly what I said. And the guy told me he laughed at the caller from the gov't and asked the same thing ….. Did you say billion, with a B?"

Yes, the gov't official said. 50 billion.

http://www.stevequayle.com/index.php?s=33&d=311

Ok, the drying up ammo thing IMO is plausible.

But the other aspect, ammoing up for an action against whomever, when do you reach a point of diminishing returns? I mean from an "offensive readiness" point of view when does it no longer matter whether you have 10 million, 50 million or 100 million rounds?

Just think about all the sweet US made surplus ammo deals we'll be getting in 20 years.

We used to be able to buy military brass for reloading. That p.o.s obummer put a stop to that and all that brass is now shipped to China as scrap metal. So your plan to get surplus ammo is never ever going to happen

Just think about all the sweet US made surplus ammo deals we'll be getting in 20 years.

We used to be able to buy military brass for reloading. That p.o.s obummer put a stop to that and all that brass is now shipped to China as scrap metal. So your plan to get surplus ammo is never ever going to happen

Well, not all of it.

http://www.govliquidation.com/events?cmd=details&event=8815

Most of this is reloadable brass and mutilation is not required. Reloading anyone?

Hopefully Mao/Nero/Comacho won't be our pres forever... I'm no economist, but my eyeball estimate gives us about 10 years at this rate before we are forced to make a 180, or just become North Mexico.

The military surplus brass decision was reversed. You can buy brass right now on government surplus sites.

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/search?cmd=results&fromsearch=true&words=Brass

As far as the theory that DHS and other domestic agencies are buying up ammo to starve the civilian market, here's my thought on that: you will know that it's true when the first large domestic purchase order is made for a non-NATO caliber such as 7.62x39 - since we don't supply Iraq or Afghanistan any longer so far as I know, a purchase order for the second (third?) most common military rifle cartridge in the US would be a dead giveaway that this is the goal.

At this point, the alternate explanation seems more sinister to me. The fact that domestic agencies appear to be stockpiling for their own use says that they expect to have a need for this amount of ammo which goes far beyond training requirements.

I am not sure this is a profit making venture for the government, but maybe I am wrong.

However, I'd note that planning to outspend the public is a poor move on the government's part. They are already broke and we collectively, even only the half of us that are armed, have much more buying power. We are already staring down the guns of a USSR-like debt that will kill us, and buying up the ammunition will only bring that looming crash faster, and make it larger. That said, maybe they plan to move faster than I am thinking.

Ugh, I hate not being able to shoot.

So … when I told this info to the man from AR500, he kind of chuckled and told me "that's funny, because I talked to a guy this morning that we do business with, he buys used brass, tumbles it, refurbishes it and re-sells it. He also makes new casings and sell those. He said he received a phone call yesterday from the gov't asking if he would fill a 50 billion round order for .223 casings."

"Did you say 50 billion? With a "B"?" I asked him.

He laughed and said "that's exactly what I said. And the guy told me he laughed at the caller from the gov't and asked the same thing ….. Did you say billion, with a B?"

Yes, the gov't official said. 50 billion.

http://www.stevequayle.com/index.php?s=33&d=311

That's fine. The gov surplus liquidation auction site sells their once fired brass by the truck loads.

It'd be nice if there was a rich person with nothing to do with his money out there. It'd be a very interesting exercise to file a complaint that the hoarding of ammunition by the government is infringing on his/her second amendment rights.

It'd be nice if there was a rich person with nothing to do with his money out there. It'd be a very interesting exercise to file a complaint that the hoarding of ammunition by the government is infringing on his/her second amendment rights.

Like mancat said, we're doing this to each other. Either dealers looking to hose us or us hosing ourselves!

I'm still open to conspiracy theories, but I think mancat's point crushed this one. I think it's more likely that Mao just wants to shoot all of us 13 times.

Here is an article vetted by a viable news source and verified by the governemnt of a billion plus purchase by DHS. While it is only 1.6 BILLION rounds, it does go a long way in feeding the fears of citizens and conspiracy theorists.

http://www.foxnews.mobi/quickPage.html?content=88878987&page=22995&pageNum=1&intcmp=obinsite

What i find interesting is based on their numbers quoted for training in the article they are purchasing a centuries worth of ammo for the whole department, consequently it happens to be in a time where budget constraints are supposed to be limiting training and training budgets.

I am pretty convinced that they are trying to starve us until they can pass a ban. I am also very worried it will happen. I wish I was more optimistic, like Squishy.

They waited WAAAY too long to "starve" a player like me... I'm 10,000 rounds deep in assorted calibers. That's should do it. wink.png

Edited by Maxwelhse
  • Like 1

I wish I could say the same, coffee boy!

I have what I would consider a year's supply of practice rounds, and another 500, for my defensive weapons. However, I have recently begun worrying that my year's supply is not enough, so I am curtailing my practice.

Edited by Remek