I regularly try my best to help people, but....

This beautiful American Staffordshire Terrier was beaten daily by the person that should love her the most. She will be loved and protected here. I have no doubt that she will do the same for me. She isn't very big, but she certainly looks imposing, so I named her Li'l evl.... wink.png

post-22401-0-34471400-1362020533_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

She is a sweetheart. I never want to meet the people that had her. I am a nice guy, but have my limits. She is so skittish, I can only imagine how bad it was. Hopefully, she will get used to finally being loved and cared for and loosen up a bit. She is a little undernourished, but in good shape otherwise.

I got my bully dog Wag when some low lifes moved out and just left him. I live out in the sticks so it’s the dumping ground for unwanted animals. Now I have the one bird dog I started with, Wag, two female lab mixes, and in the last couple of weeks I can add a rooster. So far the rooster is the least trouble and cheapest.

post-26137-0-13719800-1362058516_thumb.jpg

My Beagle LuLu was beaten. She's sweet heart. It has taken a couple of years for her to really learn to trust the family, and she stiils cowers at times over little things until we reassure her it's ok and get her to act like a normal dog. She's come along way, but the scars in her memory may always be there.

Congrats brother, saved another one.

• Like 1

This winter a friend of mine helped out a stranger by taking in his American Bulldog/Pit mix. Big dog and presumably well tempered. Just didn't understand why his previous owner named him trigger. Last month while letting the dog outside trigger attacked a neighbor's black lab pup. The vet bill was $1200. Animal control got involved and here my friend found out that trigger has a rap sheet. This is the 3rd dog he's attacked and the 2nd this year. I guess the previous owner left out some pertinent details.

File this story in the back of your mind until you fully trust your new pack member. Like humans, dog's that have been abused need some sort of rehabilitation. You are now providing security for her that she has needed for quite some time. Just be mindful when introducing her to new situations.

You did a good thing getting her off the street. I wish more would do the same.

I honestly wish the penalties for beating and abusing animals were as stiff as for beating or abusing people. People who beat their animals are nothing more than animals themselves and should have the same fate as those they beat. Or have the same fate as he animals that stake out their pets for weeks without food, water or shelter.

In all the pitbulls we have owned, bred or raised we have never had a single one that was not a loving, well mannered, member of the family. Yes some were dumber than others, just like people, but they were all great dogs. As I type this I have my pitbull Lilly laying next to me. She is the best dog I have ever had. She is a 45 pound red nose and as much as some people think it isn't possible she does care and does show compassion. Lilly knows when I am having a bad day because of a helicopter accident I was in and stays with me the entire day. Lilly loves being close to us all and enjoys meeting new people. I hope your new found best friend does the same.

They are the only breed that I know that can come back from horrific circumstances. And 99% of the problems they have are related to their owners not socializing them or mistreating them. All they want to do is please their owners.

I am not sure if this is your first but if it is you will understand how great these dogs are.

Dolomite

• Like 1

Any dog can become aggressive, if conditioned to do so. Pitts get a really bad rep. I suspect its mostly from media hype, and the fact the bad stories travel farther and faster than their good counter parts. Some of the best dogs Ive known have been of the evil pit breed. Congrats again evl. A good deed will be rewarded my friend.

When she cowers I try to think back about what movement I just made and what it could have meant to her. I go out to check on her at night and the flashlight seems to add an element of extreme fear. She perks up when I turn it off. I am thinking that she may have been beaten at night while someone was holding a flashlight. Other than reaction to "triggers", she is slowly coming around. She gets a lot of good attention here.

All my dogs are/were throwaways. BoJangles didn't get much food, and if he wanted water he had to eat snow. I don't know what he did in the summertime. Every once in a while, I will trip or something, or change direction, and he still cowers like I am going to hit him. It bothers me. After at least 5-6 years with him. I wish that he could trust me. Scoubie Doo was rescued from a caged 4 foot by 5 foot enclosure with no food and mud in the water dish. She had a sibling. I don't know why I didn't take her as well. It still haunts me to this day. Goddammit. It really bothers me. Monaco is the sweetest dog you will have ever met. Yellow lab. She likes to kill cats, lol. Vet was going to put her down unless he could find an owner to take her. They are the best, sweetest dogs you could ever imagine. I just came from Wal=Mart, where I had spent $100 on food and chewies. it's at least $100 every month, plus the treats I give them. They eat better than I do! lol. I couldn't imagine my life without them. Good luck evlblkwpnz.

Edited by coronet