Yeah I was thinking the same Big John! Figured for some peeps a quick stop by Wallyworld and a hacksaw would just be easier. I'm gonna check with a local scrap yard and see what I can find for steel rod or even square bar stock.

Well a few hrs later and about 45 minutes walking the tracks, and here I am back from my first mission with a bag o "rusty gold", as the Pickers would say! smile.png

post-1293-0-76306000-1362337837_thumb.jpg

I Managed to find two good plates and another steel door off some kind of box.... already setup to swing! Coolness... wink.png

And of course a few spikes and other small hardware that will work for small targets if hung from a steel rod or chain. Prolly coulda found more but noticed some dude watching me from behind a local business and decided I should mosey on and quit while ahead. Now time to go make some nice pock marks and splats on em... woohoo! 022.gif

Oh and speakin of Rusty Gold..... I had to pull over and snap a few pics of a local guys antique farm machinery collection in a nearby field. Man I love this old iron!

027.gif

post-1293-0-07770100-1362337888_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-15287000-1362337943_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Heres my homemade reactive targets, nothing special just some random scrap steel I found laying around.

While they dont look like most peoples targets they work great and are very portable, everything comes apart. The poles come off the stands, the cross bar comes off and the targets just hang on the cross bar.

I like it. Are you able to shoot whatever caliber you want at that steel? FMJ's as well?

No its just some mild steel plate, sourced for free. I have exactly ZERO $ in this setup. Everything was rounded up for free one way or another(legally of course)

It handles 9mm 40 and 45 FMJ's just fine and thats really all I wanted to make it for. Eventually I'll get a piece of AR500 for my rifles but this serves me well for handguns.

Heres my homemade reactive targets, nothing special just some random scrap steel I found laying around.

While they dont look like most peoples targets they work great and are very portable, everything comes apart. The poles come off the stands, the cross bar comes off and the targets just hang on the cross bar.

I like it. Are you able to shoot whatever caliber you want at that steel? FMJ's as well?

No its just some mild steel plate, sourced for free. I have exactly ZERO $ in this setup. Everything was rounded up for free one way or another(legally of course)

It handles 9mm 40 and 45 FMJ's just fine and thats really all I wanted to make it for. Eventually I'll get a piece of AR500 for my rifles but this serves me well for handguns.

Awesome! I never really thought of even trying to use mild steel. It's on now. I may have to build a reactive trailer to take to the range so I don't have to carry a bunch of heavy steel every time I go. Hell if I made something like that, my range would let me store it there. All I would have to do is hook it up and haul it down to the berms and have at it.

Be careful with the railroad scrap... From what I understand, the biggest problem is how you get rid of it later if you decide you don't want it any more. The recycling centers won't touch it... So, if you ever don't want it anymore, just take it back to the train tracks.

Be careful with the railroad scrap... From what I understand, the biggest problem is how you get rid of it later if you decide you don't want it any more. The recycling centers won't touch it... So, if you ever don't want it anymore, just take it back to the train tracks.

Yep, I dug up a bunch and tried to scrap, no way, the guy said.

My AR put the hurt on it with xm193's. It's still going though...

0767932F-FF47-406E-A306-AC61D5C47B4F-812

I'm suprised the AR didn't punch through that. In my experience, a 7.62x39 round will penetrate railroad plates about 3/5 of the time. x54R cuts through them like butter. DDpleks 12 ga Monolits, that are advertised as penetrating engine blocks, leave a nice dent.

Yep, I dug up a bunch and tried to scrap, no way, the guy said.

Around here they'll call the sheriff on you...

I'm suprised the AR didn't punch through that. In my experience, a 7.62x39 round will penetrate railroad plates about 3/5 of the time. x54R cuts through them like butter. DDpleks 12 ga Monolits, that are advertised as penetrating engine blocks, leave a nice dent.

Interesting. x54, 30.06, x39 and.308 don't even come close to penetrating these. Impacts are 2-4mm deep at the most. 5.56 even less.

Interesting. x54, 30.06, x39 and.308 don't even come close to penetrating these. Impacts are 2-4mm deep at the most. 5.56 even less.

Mine had a lot more rust but they were still solid. I would assume that they changed metals through the years?

Edited by Beretty

This is one of my favorites. Old medium sized oxygen bottle cut off and a chain welded to the top. I just hang it on a tree branch over a cut bank.

Slugs really get it ringin and a swingin. Drums loaded with Centurion single ball ammo is just a kick.

It holds up to pistol and shotgun slugs with just dents and no penetration. Some rifle hits go through the first wall and drop out the bottom.

I like it because the bell tone report back is better than any flat plate could be especially at long range. Farther is gooder I guess because you gotta wait for it. That delay as the rifle shot echo dies down and then the bell tolls always brings on a round of shit eating grins.

ETA,

post-39558-0-46871200-1362955943_thumb.jpg

Edited by Long Shot
  • Like 3
This is one of my favorites. Old medium sized oxygen bottle cut off and a chain welded to the top. I just hang it on a tree branch over a cut bank.

Slugs really get it ringin and a swingin. Drums loaded with Centurion single ball ammo is just a kick.

It holds up to pistol and shotgun slugs with just dents and no penetration. Some rifle hits go through the first wall and drop out the bottom.

I like it because the bell tone report back is better than any flat plate could be especially at long range. Farther is gooder I guess because you gotta wait for it. That delay as the rifle shot echo dies down and then the bell tolls always brings on a round of shit eating grins.

ETA, It won't let me put up a photo

Pm'd you my e-mail address so I can post the pic for you. I want to see how this one works.

• Like 1

ETA, It won't let me put up a photo

Pm'd you my e-mail address so I can post the pic for you. I want to see how this one works.

Pic sent.

If you know of a hydrostatic test facility near you, that's the place to get dead gas cylinders.

Also, look at scuba cylinders. ALL old aluminium scuba from 1992 and earlier need to be scrapped due to alloy problems. The alloy can fail explosively. Let's recycle!

For fun, one facility on the lakeshore near Chicago had a launch ramp for decomissioning cylinders. They'd fill them, put em on the ramp, and sledgehammer the valve, launching the cylinder out into Lake Michigan.

• Like 2
Where are you guys finding such nice RR plates? They look like they belong in a locomotive museum. I still don't think surface rust would make the results vary, as I'm seeing.

Also the plates I have are twice as thick as these and larger like the ones BJ posted.

I have a few of the thick and a few of the thinner ones. If I keep the AR away from them, they don't even knock the rust off. I forgot slugs the other day or I would have tested them. Next time fer sure!

I need to head over to the RR and see if they'll let me take a few off of their pallet of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok... Here's my family of RR targets and rebar stands I welded together. I bolted the chains on so that I could bolt on other plates after they wear out without having to buy more chain. If the coil spring works like I'm expecting, I know where to get plenty more. I smacked it with a hammer in it sounded pretty damn cool. The orange paint is only on there cuz there are many other similar stands at my range and I plan to just leave em there so I'll easily know which are mine. I'll take a darker color paint with me just in case the primer doesn't show the hits well.

FC389707-15AB-4503-AD27-D8EED2B8D7CD-519

Dang. I knew there was a good use for the springs I took off my car.

I have a feeling I'll be making more of those. I used to do off road fabrication and have a pretty unlimited source for coils. I just need to try this one out first and see if the plate is big enough. I want to make some swingers next. Gonna try to test these out tomorrow, but it's supposed to possibly rain. So may have to wait till Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

Reviving this topic. Here's what I scored at work today. 1/2" Titanium plate that was subjected to Explosive Cutting Charges. Got them on one of the ranges the EOD school uses here. (I work Range Support). I think I will use them as is like pistol poppers and just stick them in the sand. I will try various rifle calibers as well to see what they can withstand.

When I was in Afghanistan, we found ruins of an old Soviet Field Hospital and there was an area out the back door with shit tons of clothing scraps, belt buckles, and the Titanium plates they used for body armor that they had obviously discarded during the Triage of Casualties. The plates are around 1/8" thick and my buddy found several with .22 sized holes through them, either 5.45 or 5.56 so we know that thickness isn't effective.

Here's my scraps.

IMG_20130405_100133_zpsd069a46b.jpg