• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not that I don't like the Burris MTAC but it's heavy and bulky and that just seemed to go against the purpose of a bullpup. This setup is better.  The BCM keymod grip is the only way to go.    

Hopefully going to the range soon... just a Primary Arms red dot until I decide what I will end up putting on it permanently.

Posted Images

I am on the fence about color and barrel. The 16.5 looks better, but has a pinned flash hider due to overall length requirements. The 18" you can change muzzle devices and you get higher velocity but it doesn't look as tight.

Since the barrel is quick-change I assume that different length barrels will be available at some point.

This also seems a perfect candidate for a can. One that overlaps the 18" barrel back to the bayo lug would be sofa king awesome.

post-4831-0-53026500-1362323629_thumb.jpg

I am on the fence about color and barrel. The 16.5 looks better, but has a pinned flash hider due to overall length requirements. The 18" you can change muzzle devices and you get higher velocity but it doesn't look as tight.

Since the barrel is quick-change I assume that different length barrels will be available at some point.

This also seems a perfect candidate for a can. One that overlaps the 18" barrel back to the bayo lug would be sofa king awesome.

attachicon.giftavor suppressor.jpg

Its a bullpup, its already way tighter than an AR. Which is why im going with the FDE 18". It also has a bayonet lug. Who wants to use a bayo ever, but you never know and why not have the capability? if you dont like it that much you can just take it off. Im sure it comes off easy. plus, there is capability for the can to mount to the bayo lug. unlikely, but possible. Only Neg. about 18" is the time it gets released compared to the rest. Its near the back of the pack from what I hear, but could be wrong.

• Like 1

Hey Darth,

Where did you hear the 16" model has a pinned flash hider? I know the early model for last year's shot show had it, so they could bring it into the US and show it, but they were supposed to be full 16" barrels for the production runs that are soon being released (like mine...). Unless you know something different?

Something I read. Don't remember where.

I just looked up the overall length and it's 25.2" with the original 15" barrel including flash hider. If you make the barrel 1.5" longer it would pass overall length but not without the flash hider. So it makes sense that the shorter barrel would need to be pinned to be legal.

I just got a reply on the Bullpup forum and the IWI Facebook page... the barrels are 16.5" before the flashhider and the overall is 26".

I'm going to keep looking into this as it makes a big difference on some plans (*coughcough*suppressor*coughcough)

• Like 1

Wonder if they will have an 18" bbl model? Assuming a 1x7 twist? You would have to run a dedicated can as the barrel muzzle is too close to your eyes and ears. Also wondering why I really really want one, but simply can not afford it. Also...a 9# trigger pull? Oh my. Oh well. HB of CJ (old coot) :( :( :(

There are 18" models already coming... with Bayonet lugs super_man.gif

9# sucks, but MAC did a review and mentioned somewhere it's not as bad as you'd think. And since the entire trigger group is one assembly, there is hope of an aftermarket, lighter trigger in the future. Either way, it's gonna be fun.

• Like 1

9# sucks, but MAC did a review and mentioned somewhere it's not as bad as you'd think. And since the entire trigger group is one assembly, there is hope of an aftermarket, lighter trigger in the future. Either way, it's gonna be fun.

I'd say there is certainty of an aftermarket trigger. Where there is a market...

Great another gun to not shoot for lack of ammo.

Best line in the thread right here.....

heres a could'a would'a should'a for you both, "buy it cheap, stack it deap." of course I didnt do this either but I still have enough. Its ludicrous to buy but there is .223 ammo out there

I'd say there is certainty of an aftermarket trigger. Where there is a market...

Anyone willing to drop ~$2k is not likely to flinch at another $120...

I'd like one for sure. In 300 BO, it would be my ideal carbine for my personal uses.

Compact, reliable, simple standard mags, fairly easy to operate with either hand, modular and light... Yes please.

The price doesn't really strike me as all that steep considering how much you would spend on a piston AR SBR to get it into the same neighborhood with magpul furniture, extra handles and all that stuff. Oops, forgot to mention cost of Tax stamp and hassle of NFA.

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 2

Confirmed by IWI US:

.300blk barrel in the works!

On their Facebook page...

Will there ever be a 7.62 barrel released for the SAR?

• IWI US No, probably not.
  • kCellus That-Guy Clar Ah well, a guy can hope right? Thank you for taking the time to answer.
  • Jim Sterling Not even .300blk (7.62x35)?
  • IWI US Good catch Jim. My bad. We are working on a .300blk.
  • Cellus That-Guy Clark Oh that is GREAT news!! Do you have an estimated release for it?
  • Jim Sterling YES!! this will be a day one, must have for me! Beside my Tavor of course...
Edited by SwissyJim
  • Like 2

Welp. now I know what I am getting when I get outa law school and start earning moneys.

300 BO Tavor + can. I may have to make the can to save cash.

• Like 1
Here? Where? The pre order has come and passed. July?

From the Atlantic website:

Atlantic Firearms is Proud to offer the Israeli Tavor rifle, these should be shipping out to customers in late March early April. If you are Interested in purchasing a Tavor rifle please click the Add to Cart Button, then sign up for the product notification list, we will Contact you with details once we start accepting orders. The Tavor will be available in limited numbers but we do expect subsequent orders in April and May.

The first US built units are in the hands of reviewers. When I see a real person shooting a real US made (by the definition of the law) Tavor, that's "here". See OP for video.

Welp. now I know what I am getting when I get outa law school and start earning moneys.

300 BO Tavor + can. I may have to make the can to save cash.

You could always get a solvent trap...

Edited by Darth Saigus

I have friends and family with lathes. I suppose there is solvent trap + form 1, but I'd rather have a real one with some durability suitable for multiple calibers. Not to mention the risk that the can gets redefined as a worn out filter I can't rebuild.

I have friends and family with lathes. I suppose there is solvent trap + form 1, but I'd rather have a real one with some durability suitable for multiple calibers. Not to mention the risk that the can gets redefined as a worn out filter I can't rebuild.

I was perhaps being a bit sarcastic. I'll leave it at that so that this thread doesn't turn into an argument about "solvent traps".

Confirmed by IWI US:

.300blk barrel in the works!

On their Facebook page...

Will there ever be a 7.62 barrel released for the SAR?

Well well well...

Evidently there IS a 7.62x51 Tavor in the works... (new rifle, not conversion)

http://www.guns.com/2013/03/06/iwi-possibly-developing-tavor-in-7-62-nato/

“In addition, there will be an experiment to improve the level of lethality … by replacing the regular 5.56mm [with] 7.62mm, the same cartridge in the MAG that is currently used — and the weapons will become more lethal.”

Wait. What?

Are you saying... the 7.62x51 is more lethal than the 5.56mm? Wow.

Oh, and I saw the first pricing on caliber conversion kits. $750-$899. Ouch. I really don't think I can spend that on a conversion kit. Maybe $500. Actually the 300blk conversion should be alot cheaper. You only need a barrel.

Edited by Darth Saigus

I sold the RJ S12 today. The money is tucked safely away for my Tavor and a good optic. I'm thinking the Vortex Viper 1-4 looks like a great piece of glass for the price. I say "for the price" but it would still be the most money I ever spent on a scope. But then again, the Tavor will be the most I ever spent on a rifle. I'm a cheap bastard. 021.gif

There is something about an X95 in the 2013 IWI catalog, but it's not a conversion for the current Tavor SAR... I think the X95 is the .308 version. But I'm only looking at the Tavor SAR options... Already got a couple of .308's ;-)

MAC's video of the Tavor, and his recent posting on the Bullpup forum, has him on record as saying the Tavor is shaping up to be his fav bullpup, and that the trigger is the best he's seen in one. There's hope...

I got my invoice today for mine, so money is on the way!! greedy.gif Just not sure what optic's I'm going with. The wifely unit© may have my head if I buy another round of fancy optics... (EOtech w/magnifier, Vortex PST, Leupold, Aimpoint...)

• Like 1
I sold the RJ S12 today. The money is tucked safely away for my Tavor and a good optic. I'm thinking the Vortex Viper 1-4 looks like a great piece of glass for the price. I say "for the price" but it would still be the most money I ever spent on a scope. But then again, the Tavor will be the most I ever spent on a rifle. I'm a cheap bastard. 021.gif

No Mepor (mepro)? That's not kosher!

• Like 1