• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not that I don't like the Burris MTAC but it's heavy and bulky and that just seemed to go against the purpose of a bullpup. This setup is better.  The BCM keymod grip is the only way to go.    

Hopefully going to the range soon... just a Primary Arms red dot until I decide what I will end up putting on it permanently.

Posted Images

I just became aware of an issue with PMAGs and some other poly mags in the Tavor.  If the notch on the back of the mag body is not deep enough the mag body can push up the bolt catch.  This has resulted in damage on some Tavors.

The fix is easy.  Just file the notch slightly deeper until you can insert a loaded mag without the bolt catch moving at all.

The best way to check is to remove the bolt carrier and put your thumb on the bolt catch while inserting a loaded mag.  You will feel if the mag body hits the bolt catch.

USGI mag.  Deep notch, no problem.  Poly mag causes problem.

post-4831-0-13462800-1398314214_thumb.jpg

Fixed on the right.

post-4831-0-85867600-1398314233_thumb.jpg

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 1

I will be receiving my shipment of gen 3 PMAGs tomorrow so I'll test that theory.  But there are still tons of mags out there that can cause problems.  Just want people to be aware.  Better safe than sorry.

Got the gen 3s today.  No problems.  The mag body just touches the bolt catch but doesn't move it.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 1

Took the Tavor out today.  I didn't get to do much other than a rough sight in and some fun shooting.  The wind was kicking pretty hard.  I was also spending most of my time gunsmithing my wife's Walther KP380 and the SIG556R, both of which would not eject due to extractors not holding the rims.  The KP380 I was able to adjust the extractor so that it is reliable.  The SIG no joy.

But the Tavor and the Pit Bull:  Much Joy.  Those are definitely my 2 favs, for now at least.  The Tavor (which I have named Bernice for no reason) ran flawless with wimpy 223 loads and hot 5.56mm loads.  With the 223 loads it felt like shooting a 22.  My wife loves it.

I did the spring removal mod on the trigger first thing when I opened the box.  I tried the stock trigger and it felt like it was 20lb.  Now, spring removed and a couple hundred trigger pulls and it's not bad.

The Burris MTAC is really a great scope too.

The Tavor was really getting the eye-fuck from the guy at the next bench.  He didn't even glance at the Pit Bull or the SIG.

EDIT

Well I've always thought the idea of naming a gun was silly.  But today I named my Tavor Bernice.  

I told my wife that she and my Tavor are my two favorite ladies and she asked what's the other woman's name.  I just said Bernice.  Don't know why.  The name just popped into my head.

But here's the effing weird part.  I looked up the meaning of Bernice.

Bernice \b(e)-rni-ce, ber-nice\ as a girl's name is pronounced ber-NEECE. It is of Greek origin, and the meaning of Bernice is "victory bringer".

That shit is almost spooky.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 2

Second range trip for the Tavor today.  This time I shot up the 200rds of Wolf 223 steel case that I've had laying around for a few years.  That makes 500 flawless rounds now.  5.56 and 223, brass and steel, 55gr, 62gr, 75gr.  USGI mags, PMAGs, SWT mags.

I love this rifle more every time I shoot it.

I'm also really liking the Burris MTAC scope. 

Still getting used to mag changes.  Once that becomes second nature I'll move it to the primary carbine role.

I also see that Atlantic has dropped the price to $1679.  Sure, right after I buy.  beaten.gif haha.gif

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 2

We will pass also. Right now our nuclear family and close friends are locked into the M1-M2 USGI .30 Carbine platform. There is not enough extra money available to justify the switch over. Our dinky M1 Carbines work just dandy down to about age 10 and up to about...88 now. The M2 has proven to be a great cartridge power multiplier. HB of CJ (old coot) All US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

• Like 1

I haven't heard any news about the Blackout barrel that IWI promised.  I hope they do it, and it doesn't cost as much as the 9mm conversion.  I don't think I'll ever part with $700 for a caliber conversion.

• Like 1

Blackout could be a long way off or never at all. Piston systems are not very viable on the Blackout, not enough gas pressure. I tried two different piston conversions on my Blackouts and had to go back to direct impingement. PNW was advertising Blackout piston uppers but I don't know if they ever made it to the street.

Blackout could be a long way off or never at all. Piston systems are not very viable on the Blackout, not enough gas pressure. I tried two different piston conversions on my Blackouts and had to go back to direct impingement. PNW was advertising Blackout piston uppers but I don't know if they ever made it to the street.

I herd Arsenal is working on an Ak in .300 blk. I'd like to see it.

I have never been a fan of the little nato round.  I had some hope when the new green tip SS109 "armor piercing" round was issued.  Obviously it's not armor piercing, and as it turns out not a better performer than the M193.

For many years after I got out of the Corps I refused to buy an AR because I didn't have any use for the round.  I stuck to cartridges with a proper 30 caliber bullet.

But the performance with heavy bullets changed my mind.  I now have 3 5.56mm bullet launchers and I keep a good supply of 75gr ammo for serious situations.

I haven't heard any news about the Blackout barrel that IWI promised.  I hope they do it, and it doesn't cost as much as the 9mm conversion.  I don't think I'll ever part with $700 for a caliber conversion.

I'm waiting for that plus cash. I'm not really interested very much in .223. At least not until the projectiles are truly cheap again. Maybe someday I will buy 10,000 pulled military bullets, and then .223 will make sense for me. Not knocking the round or anything, but I really like 300 BO. It's lovely with a can and home cast subsonics. I like a round that is always in stock and so forth. The 300 BO 230 cast subs recoiled a tad softer than .223 and had about the trajectory of .22LR. So a quality 22 regulated scope with dots works great, or you can get the NiKon BDC scope which has circle and dot tic marks on the reticle. Dots for high velocity trajectory, circles for subs. So that's the plan Tavor with the nikon on it, and a can when I can.

I got to try one of these out a month or so ago. The guy had come right to the range from the gun store. They must have changed the trigger at the factory, because I didn't have any gripe about the trigger at all, and I am a trigger snob. It was every bit as nice as I had hoped it would be.

200 more rounds today.  6 mags in about 3 minutes.  Got her so hot she was smoking.  The polymer handguard was even too hot to hold.

Again, no failures.  Ho-hum.

• Like 1

200 more rounds today.  6 mags in about 3 minutes.  Got her so hot she was smoking.  The polymer handguard was even too hot to hold.

Again, no failures.  Ho-hum.

Who gives a shit Saigus!

I'm just butt hurt cuz I was at my LGS gawking at one and I can't afford it.anger.gif

• Like 1

"I have some good news for you guys.  IWI plans to bring the X95 to the US market in the future.  It’s at least 2 years down the road, but it’s something they’re currently considering and have plans to do.  I don’t know what the final configuration will be for the imported rifles — it could be a SBR only firearm.  I’ll pass along more info as I get it."

http://www.thebangswitch.com/on-the-range-with-iwi-x95/

I'm not holding my breath for an SBR only import.  Doesn't make financial sense.  The sales volume would be hundreds at best.  The build it here option does make sense considering they already have the production facility and many parts are interchangeable with the SAR.  And obviously an SBR version could be built on the same line for NFA and LEO sales.

The X95 does have improvements over the SAR but for the average non-nfa non-leo public the differences aren't game changers.

But a Tavor SPR in 308 would have people storming the gates.  I'd sell body parts for that.

Edited by Darth Saigus

My understanding is that deal fell apart years ago.  First Barrett was going to build the Tavor, then Daly was going to do it.  Finally IWI decided to do it themselves.  The best possible option.  We get a true IWI built Tavor.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...