A buddy of mine is offering me a LAR-8 .308, elite operator version, with 36 rounds through it. It has a Leupold scope (I don't have more details at the moment on the scope, but once I do, I can figure more).

It has a 20" barrel, (its about 2-3 years old), and shoots extremely well.

I don't know if now is the time to get into buying this, but what do you guys think it is worth (sans scope, I can figure that out later much more easily on my own). He wants a secondary motor I have in partial trade, and is asking $2K plus my motor. I know he told me the gun was $2500-2600 when he purchased (new, unknown if it included the scope but I think it must, as current price is about 1800), and I know my motor is $2500 new (purchased 2010).

I think its not a good deal as it stands, but I also think he is basing it off the current pricing of rifles.

What you do you guys think the rifle (LAR-8, 20" barrel, sans scope) is worth for real (not overinflated pricing).

I think he is a friend. He always bends over backwards to pay more than his share when we are out offshore fishing. I haven't ever met a guy who has been near as consciencious as this one. I do think, however, he doesn't really know the value of his firearm. I think he also knows I won't be taken by anyone, he's known me for a while. So, I seriously doubt he'd try to pull one over on me. Heck, for all I know his leupold is a $3000 scope.

That aside, I have to consider carefully, because I DO NOT want my motor -- its sitting in my shed gathering dust, and the rifle would be much easier to sell if I want to do it (my motor is a kicker for my boat, and for me, it sucks @#*$).

If I put it up for sale I think I could move it fairly quick at about $1800. Its only got about 20-30 hours on it, and its been maintained meticulously. I dropped it because I have an essentially bulletproof motor, it really sucks in offshore wind, and it throws the whole boat off balance. Its a high-thrust motor so its useless to anyone but trollers and sailing vessels, but its very good for them.

So he wants the equivalent of $3,800.00... Well, it is a sellers market.

In today's market, if I REALLY wanted it, I would probably go up to $2,300.00 for the gun alone, that's $500.00 over MSRP, and the premium is worth the no paperwork attached.

Is it going to come with the scope mounted, that is the determining question, is the scope and mounts worth the additional $1,500.00?

Again, I would have to REALLY want this rifle before I'd take the deal.

I agree with Chile on this one. You know your friends character much better than any of us on this forum, so I wont make any assumptions, but what he is asking for is not a good deal for you. .308 AR's have really skyrocketed in price since the scare began, and even if you were able to order one at MSRP, my guess is you would be waiting indefinitely on "backorder" to receive the rifle. If it has a nice scope and rings, I would offer him the motor and maybe $500-600 depending how badly you want the rifle. Anything more and you are getting taken.

• Like 1

.... Exactly, and this is why I am wondering what people feel the real value of the LAR-8 is, alone. I need to figure out what the scope is worth, and if its a scope I would keep on the rifle, or exchange for another. I do think I want this firearm, even if just to see if I like it, but I think it will be good to take my 7mm mauser out of action. Its a great rifle, but its worth quite a lot, and I think it might be better to keep it for the future should I need it (it was inherited from my namesake). The LAR-8 is a great rifle, and I think its particularly suited to deer hunting, so I'd be able to use this in next year's season.

That said, I am, speaking from my gut, thinking the rifle itself is worth about 1500-1800, but what the heck do I know? That's why I am asking. In the end I need to value the scope and add it depending on whether I want it.

I figure once I value it, I'd just counter offer and see if he is really interested. He might have to offer a deal too, due to the offer being made on our friendship. I wouldnt push it either way, just offer what I felt is fair.

Hello

I have a LAR-8, but it's a 16" carbine model, when I purchased it, the only one available (I was on the waiting list for 18 mos.)

It was kind of "no-frills" flat-top w/ extend. stock, I think I gave about $1050 for it back in 2007 or so.

They are nice guns, but anything you hang on 'em except glass has to be RRA stuff. Well, I did fit a PRS stock on mine, but the handguard had to go through RRA.

It groups about 1-1/2" @ 100yds. w/ 180 grain boat tail ammo.

-guido in Houston

"God Loves Liberty"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...