evl thoughts of amending the evlblksbs to 6"....

Well, simply put, the evlblksbs is boringly reliable at 8", even with MD-20s at full spring tension. I have tried all kinds of ammo from Winchester Universal to 1oz #8 birdshot and I can't seem to find its nemesis. It even runs when held with one hand like a pistol. It runs so well that I think it will run bulk birdshot at 6" when shouldered. Amendments process very quickly compared to Forms and they are free, so I figure it is worth a shot, literally.

Shall I? I think so, but just wanted some opinions other than the little evl voice inside my head.... do you think I can do it?

Professional opinions are welcome here too. Don't be shy....

evl....

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Why not you have perfected the 8in . The work you do is amazing (wish I had those skillzs )im sure you will have it working in notime so go for the challenge . I mean thats whats makes people happy to c how far you can take something and succeed so good luck in whatever you take on next.

If it ain't broke... ;)

Besides trying to make it less reliable ... :wacko: ... would taking two inches off make it "better" in any other way? I can't imagine it would be more portable or lighter by much.

What spread on the shot pattern do you get with the birdshot from that shortie?

Edited by Ronin38
  • Like 1

Well, it being as short as it is makes it a lot of fun to shoot, but I feel the urge to go further.... to go outside of the box that contains that which most people consider possible or practical. I'm thinking that a couple of inches less would yield even crazier fireballs and make it all the more fun. I built this for use indoors and it is almost perfection for that purpose. It is light and I can easily tuck the stock under my arm with the weapon at ready and open an inward opening door, like my bedroom door to the main hallway. 2" less will make that action even easier. The spread with Winchester 3" 15 pellet 00 buck is about torso-sized at 21 feet. That is actually on the long side of typical SD distance. I would like to achieve torso-sized patterns at around 15 feet. I have no idea if 6" will achieve that, but it is worth a try and I am getting bored with the weapon at 8". Outside of function, I think it will look super nasty at 6". If nothing else, I know it will run with heavier loads at 6". I am about to type up the length amendment. If the NFA Brach is on par with my last amendment, I will have this done inside of 14 days. I will definitely post some fireball video.

I will succeed.

evl....

my opinion is that 8" is just right.

6" gets into the territory where you have to be careful about where your fingers are, and where you actually are losing significant velocity.

I like most of my powder to explode inside the barrel. 6" would be blinding at night and subjecting yourself and bystanders to a lot of powder burns.

I am confident that you could easily make it work at 6" so that wouldn't really prove anything to me or to you.

IMO the only reason to make it 6" is because you want it to fit inside a particular object.

I would want to thread the barrel though so that you can use a comp sometimes.

• Like 1

I was about to type up the amendment and remembered that the amendment is merely notify of a change of the length to be on file at the registry, not to ask for permission, so I chopped to 6.5". It just wasn't going to look right at 6", especially if I decide to start using an Autoplug in it or one of the aftermarket multi-position regulators. Hopefully, I can test fire tomorrow. Fireballs! Damn it looks evl ;)

I'm not really worried about the fingers. I always hold this one by the mag and make it very clear to others that holding by the mag is the only way I will allow them to fire it.

For now, I'll just post a couple pics of it in my poor man's discreet case wink.png

post-22401-0-78857900-1362411793_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-74016900-1362411804_thumb.jpg

Just noticed that I can clearly and easily see the breech face from the end of the barrel as it lays on my bench.

Now that is evl....

• Like 2

This is reminding me of an old A-Team episode where they baked their M10s or whatever into loaves of french bread.

I think that is your clear next step.

• Like 1

Well, I like a challenge, lol

I test fired with Winchester XX 3" 15 pellet 00 Buck and it ran fine. The fireball was disappointing though. Either I am becoming hard to satisfy, going blind, or the fireball was smaller than before. I tried some really old brass base Federal Multi-purpose 1 1/8oz 3 dram 8 shot and it choked on the first shot in a MD-20 drum, which sprayed some chunks of burning powder. I topped it off again and it ran flawlessly through the entire drum. The video that I took of this was fine, but showed some things that I would rather keep under wraps, so I am not posting it. I decided to go to the outdoor range to get some distant video and try some brand new Federal Top Gun 1 1/8oz 2 3/4 dram 8 shot. It choked every shot in a Russian 5 round mag, every shot in a Russian 8 round mag, for most of a brand new SGM 12 round mag, and every shot that I fired with an MD-20. I applied 6 wraps of teflon tape to the gas regulator, it choked on the first two rounds, and fired the last 10 of the SGM mag fast and flawlessly. This tells me that the weapon is very close to reliable with stick mags, at least. I can't say that I am surprised and I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't already GTG with the existing porting before I did more gas work.

I think I could thread the barrel externally and use a Russian choke with good results and no additional port work. It would only end up slightly shorter than 8". However, I'm not interested in doing that and I would have to address a clearance issue with the gas regulator. For kicks, I might try my CSS puck and see what happens with weak loads. I think I will eventually add one more port at .078" and it will meet my reliability standard. I might do it sooner than later.... you never know.

The experience....

This thing is uber loud. I could feel the pressure wave on the front of my shirt and pants while I was firing the 3" indoors. I had a few rounds of 3" laying on the table and they were jumping with every shot. It was amazing. I am going to review the indoor video in slo mo and see if maybe I just missed the hugegantic fireball. People had a look of shock on their faces when they saw the tiny shotgun. It doesn't get much more evl than this....

So much for more pics. I just realized that I dumped the wrong card before going to the range to shoot video. It's ok, I'll take more....

• Like 1
Mmmm...I'm waiting for this video you speak of.

This ammo shortage is killing me. I really wish I could just test with some regular 7.5 shot Win, Fed, or Rem bulk packs. I cleaned the evlblksbs for the first time last night. The gas block had a little loose debris in it, but the internals looked like the side of a high mileage Dodge slant 6 with a leaking valve cover gasket, lol. I lubed it and found a gas regulator that was a little less worn to use in it. I may get an opportunity to get some footage today, but ammo is still an issue.

I approve of the 5th port.

Do you have a chrono?

No chrono, but I'll gladly accept one if you want to send it ;)

;)

I'm tired of going through the effort to keep the other under wraps.... it may give it to AZG for the next few years.

evl....

SURE! I'll take it! :up: I can keep a secret. Hehe. I kid Edited by AZG