Safety lever in safe position disengages upward when trigger pulled ha

One thing I noticed and that worries me is that when the safety lever is in the safe position and with the dust cover off, the lever will disengage and move all the way up when the trigger is pulled hard enough. I understand normally one wouldn't or shouldn't have any ammo loaded with the dust cover off, but still worries me.

The lever that engages the trigger in the safe position is slightly angled so that enough pressure is put on the trigger, and with the dust cover off to stop the lever from going up all way, it forces it upwards and releases the hammer.

I have a converted Saiga 12 with the Tromix trigger group and have had it for a year and shoots with good performance. I just noticed this this past week when cleaning the gun. I never modified the safety lever and operates as normal otherwise.

Is this normal or something I should be worried about?

Edited by rpav99
  • 2 weeks later...

If you have the dust cover off, you can force the safety selector to disengage via pull of the trigger, but it should take a lot of pull (i.e. more than the weight of the firearm with fully loaded magazine). The dust cover doubles as the final stopping mechanism for the travel in the safety selector. The first rule in performing any type of functional check, inspection, part removal (of any kind), etc. is to unload and clear the firearm. As long as you do that, and have the dust cover installed during live fire operation, you will have no issues with the safety disengaging (assuming proper FCG installation, which from your description sounds like is the case).