I'm not really sure of your question..? The difficulty of any shot depends on the size (and movement, if applicable) of the target you're shooting at. Using a magnified optic at any range except point blank is going to make the shot easier to see and therefore place... and generally easier as you go up in magnification. What a magnified optic can't do is make you a better shot without apply the fundamentals of marksmanship. Sight alignment and sight picture is taken mostly out of the equation as the scope will do that for you, but controlled breathing, trigger control, and proper rifle support is still going to make or break your accuracy.

a 300 yard shot on a half silhouette target (dog target) should be plenty doable with irons if you're eyes are sharp enough. A scope will make that much easier to see... I don't think there would be a significant advantage in a 6x over a 4x for that kinda shot, though. 6x would be more useful a little further out or for smaller targets like clays at that distance.

• 3 months later...

In a firefight, I would expect you to be at 100yd and less ranges, were the iron sights (peep sights on my SKS work fantastic at this range) or a red dot are advantageous. Out at 300yds, there aren't too many prosecuting attorneys who would consider that range "self defense". Not saying you would never get in that situation, but it has to be a consideration. Look up Masaad Ayoob, he runs the MAG40 events, and he is a self defense expert witness in home defense cases. He gets interviewed quite a bit, he was on the Survival Podcast about 2 months ago, and talked about things you need to do immediately after a self-defense action.

• 4 weeks later...