NRA Sponsors Its First NASCAR Sprint Cup Race, The NRA 500, At Texas Motor Speedway -

The NRA will title sponsor the race on April 13, 2013 at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth, Texas. Will we battling the "rednecks" and "gun nuts" stereotypes or will this do both entities some good?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nascar-from-the-marbles/publicity-nra-500-detriment-benefit-nascar-042823232--nascar.html

I think it can be good and I hope the NRA gets Mr. Colion Noir http://www.youtube.com/user/MrColionNoir some national air time. I think he is a much needed younger fresh face for the NRA (much like the GOP needs).

I detest NASCAR as a motorsport, but I'm all for the NRA raising awareness and possibly attracting new blood to shooting sports.

The NRA is a damn sight better than NASCAR paying 50 Cent to molest reporters on camera in the hopes of attracting minority fans.

• Like 2

I think the money could be better spent. I feel the same way about the Army and Navy stock cars and drags. I understand the need for promotion, but fuck, every US citizen knows the military is hiring, what they do, etc. There's no reason to sponsor a damn race team to promote it. Waste of tax money. As an NRA CRSO, I feel they are wasting my money on this crap too when they should be using it to go to bat against an intrusive govt. for their members.

This is not why I pay my dues, to have a car drive in a circle with a sign on it. Frankly, I'm a little offended.

• Like 2

It's a judgement call. It will lose some respect, but remind some people about the existence of NRA. I don't like charities I donate to to put the money into promotions to gather more money. I believe that is what NRA is doing.

As for nascar, they started with a cool idea, but stand out from the crowd only in that they managed the impressive feat of making travel at 150 mph boring. I would be a hell of a lot more interested if it was people with stock cars (i.e. a car a guy can buy from the dealer without special order [if you want to know how to make that a real thing, look into the drastically more interesting N Class Rally])

Watching middleschoolers race go-karts is a hundred times more interesting.

This is not why I pay my dues, to have a car drive in a circle with a sign on it. Frankly, I'm a little offended.

You don't think the NRA name or logo belongs on a race car? The NRA is sponsoring the entire race, hence naming it the NRA 500. An actual race team sponsored by the NRA would be great as well. Anything to get the name and logo "familiar" with non NRA members is good to go in my opinion.

• Like 1

You don't think the NRA name or logo belongs on a race car? The NRA is sponsoring the entire race, hence naming it the NRA 500. An actual race team sponsored by the NRA would be great as well. Anything to get the name and logo "familiar" with non NRA members is good to go in my opinion.

No I don't, I believe it is wasted money "Preaching to the choir" when there are much bigger things happening right now. I would rather see the money go to activism and gun safety. I totally understand the PR thing and it's intention, however I personally disagree with it.

Going to NASCAR promoting the 2A is the NRA going after low hanging fruit, it's easy, they know it. I want them to be doing battle with Feinstein and the rest of the moonbat asshats. Priorities are very important right now in my opinion, and this just doesn't seem like one of them in the current climate.

Winner gets a gun and gets to shoot it (blanks) in victory lane, how red neck is that! I think you'd be hard pressed to find many NASCAR fans that aren't gun owners, this might also push a few to become NRA contributors. Several gun related/ sporting good related sponsors in the sport alreadynaaaa.gif

Edited by 6500rpm

The NRA is not made up of stupid people. While I'd like to see my money go to activism. Is it possible that the NRA going after this "low hanging fruit" will generate double the revenue spent?

If the NASCAR fan is the stereotypical hunter then yes, this is good for the NRA to open their eyes too to the fact that they are coming for the hunting guns as well, and not just the "evil black guns". I see it as a good move

What is the largest single followed sport in the USA? Football? No. Baseball? No. Car racing? YES!

What is the biggest followed car competition in racing sports in the USA? Forumla 1? No. NASCAR? YES!

I know there are more "rednecks" who follow this in proportion, but there are a legion of followers of all walks and races. Moreover, I do not "follow" NASCAR, but I respect the idea of such closely matched cars and leaving the deciding factors to the drivers and very small changes in the car's parts. It appeals to the intellectual, as well as the "redneck" (note: I am a "redneck" at heart, so I don't think a redneck is stupid).

This is a great form of advertising, because the media cannot ignore it! Good Job, NRA.

Fighting political battles are great, but they take place out of the spotlight, and we NEED more public exposure. This is a great first step!

Unless we increase public exposure, we can win battles in the legislatures, but we will continue to lose the long-term war on the second amendment.

Edited by Remek

I do see all your points, and I admit I am coming around to the idea now. It would make me feel better though, if the admission price included a year's membership (optional maybe, don't force anyone) and subscription to American Rifleman. How cool would that be? Any NASCAR fans here know how many spectators attend these events on average? Tickets have to be at least $35 right? I'd be ok with my dues going to something like that.

What do you guys think?

^^^ Personally, I know money is tight for many, but I would feel bad if my "dues" went to pay for attendance at such an event. I want my organizations to also be able to work.

Its a bit off the OPs thread, but while I think we need more public exposure, if the funding disappears in public exposure, we only harm the organization. I think the NRA is making a good move, and I trust them to "grow" it properly to help us in the future. Who knows, maybe they will provide discounts for these events for NRA members in the future!

I was thinking that since they are running the whole deal, that the admission is not paid by the NRA, but membership (optional) is included in the price of the ticket. I have no idea how much NASCAR tickets are, but if they're like concert tickets they're around $60 or so? I'm just saying take $35 out of that and apply it to a membership for one year. Still making a hypothetical $25 profit on admission, and you'd get a member too.

That's my idea at least.

I was thinking that since they are running the whole deal, that the admission is not paid by the NRA, but membership (optional) is included in the price of the ticket. I have no idea how much NASCAR tickets are, but if they're like concert tickets they're around $60 or so? I'm just saying take $35 out of that and apply it to a membership for one year. Still making a hypothetical $25 profit on admission, and you'd get a member too.

That's my idea at least.

Being the "sponsor" does not mean they run the event. The bankroll the cost of "sponsorship" as the main sponsor. That doesnt mean that they make any profit from it.

I'm not a huge NASCAR fan, but I guess it's more fitting than something like an "NRA Pro Tour" golf tournament.

The NRA just isn't really choosing ways to enhance its "everyman" image, though, by catering to traditional redneck-ish events such as NASCAR races.

I'm not a huge NASCAR fan, but I guess it's more fitting than something like an "NRA Pro Tour" golf tournament.

The NRA just isn't really choosing ways to enhance its "everyman" image, though, by catering to traditional redneck-ish events such as NASCAR races.

I think you have to think long-term. NASCAR does get exposure outside of "rednecks" and it may be sort of an "olive branch", allowing them to move to other venues in the future. They should, at least to start, move into events that also provides wide exposure to their base, and also exposure outside their base. As the exposure grows, so does their base, and then they move into venues that provide even more wide exposure. If they just jumped into something with largely non-red neck exposure, they'd simply be considered nuts for doing so. Their move seems very well thought out and good to me.

No I don't, I believe it is wasted money "Preaching to the choir" when there are much bigger things happening right now. I would rather see the money go to activism and gun safety. I totally understand the PR thing and it's intention, however I personally disagree with it.

You might think that, but my NRA sponsorship drive on this very forum got at least 5 guys to join fresh or renew their NRA/GOA memberships.

It doesn't get much more "choir" than this place.

Honestly, the NRA is probably so flush with money right now that they can't think of ways to spend it, in a hurry, in this time of immediate need. I say any idea in the next few months is a good one. The gun grabbers aren't taking days off.

The gun grabbers aren't taking days off.

Well, Mao might take some time, but he deserves it. The bill of rights presents some very high hurdles to jump, and he needs to take a well deserved rest now and then.

Edited by Remek

This is great news. All they need to do is start running pro-2A commercials on the Outdoor Channels, take out some ads in Field & Stream, and get some country music singers to endorse them! This is almost as effective as all the constant pro-2A stuff we see on here and other gun forums!! I'm going to take this a step further and open my gun safe, pet on my rifles and tell them, "It will be okay, my babies." We'll win this war, yet!

021.gif

You might think that, but my NRA sponsorship drive on this very forum got at least 5 guys to join fresh or renew their NRA/GOA memberships.

It doesn't get much more "choir" than this place.

Honestly, the NRA is probably so flush with money right now that they can't think of ways to spend it, in a hurry, in this time of immediate need. I say any idea in the next few months is a good one. The gun grabbers aren't taking days off.

That's awesome, and thank you for your forward action.

I am still on the fence on this particular issue though, not that it matters. Just thinking out loud.