Huntertown Arms Kestrel 762 AK Suppressor

It sucks on a Mini Draco. I haven't tried it on anything else because I can't mount it on anything else. I bought it to use on my SLR-107UR, but their "universal mount" is actually a blank endcap with no bore and no threads. "some gunsmith fitting" per HTA's site? Yeah, right. Hundreds of $ later, I just don't find any humor in it. That's ok. I'm having 11- 24x1.5 endcaps made. I don't need them all, but I am sure I can't be the only one wanting to use a Kestrel 5.56 or 7.62 on a 24x1.5 threaded host.

The 9mm, .22, and 5.56 cans perform good for the money. My next 7.62 can will be a Surefire SOCOM. Had I known this Kestrel 7.62 was going to be an acto of congress to use, I wouldn't have bought it. If you want to use it on a 14x1 LH threaded host, you will probably like it, for the money.

I went over to the gunsmith that is building my M92PV SBR and he had a novel idea. He is going to pull the barrel and cut the flash hider threads (26x1.5) back to about 4 - 5 threads to allow the 4 pc flash hider to be installed. He will then thread the barrel for .5" with 14x1 so that the Kestrel 7.62AK can be installed. He will make a thread protector for the barrel that will fit under the flash hider when the suppressor is not in use. He has an extra M92PV to try it on to be sure it works before doing mine. That just leaves the SGL-107FR to do the same thing on. Then no worries about adapters to fit the suppressor to various AK platforms. :) Hope it flies.

It sucks on a Mini Draco. I haven't tried it on anything else because I can't mount it on anything else. I bought it to use on my SLR-107UR, but their "universal mount" is actually a blank endcap with no bore and no threads. "some gunsmith fitting" per HTA's site? Yeah, right. Hundreds of $ later, I just don't find any humor in it. That's ok. I'm having 11- 24x1.5 endcaps made. I don't need them all, but I am sure I can't be the only one wanting to use a Kestrel 5.56 or 7.62 on a 24x1.5 threaded host.

The 9mm, .22, and 5.56 cans perform good for the money. My next 7.62 can will be a Surefire SOCOM. Had I known this Kestrel 7.62 was going to be an acto of congress to use, I wouldn't have bought it. If you want to use it on a 14x1 LH threaded host, you will probably like it, for the money.

If you've got a beef you think you can get them to address with some coaching, let me know. They're in my home town.. (Actually, they were founded about 2 miles from my house).

If you've got a beef you think you can get them to address with some coaching, let me know. They're in my home town.. (Actually, they were founded about 2 miles from my house).

The wording on their site about the "universal mount" is misleading unless you are intentionally analyzing their choice of words. First, they should just be honest and call it an "endcap blank" and clearly state that it has no bore or threads and cannot be used until it is machined for whatever threading you want to use it on. When I called them, I was, in essence, told to pound sand. There was no "We're sorry, you can return it. We'll send you a call tag", "Didn't realize the wording was misleading. We will look at it." or anything like that. We won't be ordering anymore of their cans for shop inventory. It is a matter of principle. I really hate to cut off an underdog company like that as they are usually the type I try to support, so they can have a fighting chance in the industry, but I have my limits and they have been met. If I offered that kind of CS at my pool companies, I would be out of business already.

If you know them and someone wants to contact me and actually offer some help, I'm all ears and will certainly give them a chance if they offer what I would deem acceptable CS. Have them send me an IM.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

I don't know them from Adam, but I *DO* know that a customer pissed off on the phone is a lot different than someone standing in front of them at their shop.

If they're not dealing a straight game, I'll be happy to do what I can to get it changed.

Thanks for the heads up. I'd read elsewhere that the 24x1.5mm omni-mount they speak so much of doesn't actually exist until you find a smith to do he cutting of the threads. Kind of pointless since the idea is to run it on multiple AKs with that thread pitch. I guess the hunt for an AK-threaded can continues.

Thanks

Edited by towerofpower93
I don't know them from Adam, but I *DO* know that a customer pissed off on the phone is a lot different than someone standing in front of them at their shop.

If they're not dealing a straight game, I'll be happy to do what I can to get it changed.

I wasn't pissed, lol. I was polite and really just wanted some help. I offered to pay them to do the machining as well, which they have apparently done before, but was still left hanging. If I can't be nice and get a solution, fair enough, everyone I come in contact online and locally that asks about them with will hear about it. Don't bother. When you need CS, a company will show you their true colors. I will never forget and I will tell others of my experience, as I have here. That will hurt them more than any hell raising will.

Thanks for the heads up. I'd read elsewhere that the 24x1.5mm omni-mount they speak so much of doesn't actually exist until you find a smith to do he cutting of the threads. Kind of pointless since the idea is to run it on multiple AKs with that thread pitch. I guess the hunt for an AK-threaded can continues.

Thanks

Had I known the HTA Kestrel 7.62 would be this big of a pain in the ass, I would have bought a....

http://www.surefire.com/tactical-equipment/sound-suppressors/rifle-carbine-suppressors/762-mm-308-caliber/socom762-rc.html

and a....

http://www.surefire.com/sf3p-762-m24x1-5.html

It will be a lot more money, but at least I can use it on the weapon that I want to suppress and it will probably blow the HTA can away in sound reduction.

Interesting....wasn't aware they had a 24x1.5mm mount for it. If money was the straw to break the Carmel's back then I wouldn't be in the NFA game to begin with. An extra $200 to every purchase adds up quickly once one discovers how easy it is to buy XYZ :)

Edited by towerofpower93
Interesting....wasn't aware they had a 24x1.5mm mount for it. If money was the straw to break the Carmel's back then I wouldn't be in the NFA game to begin with. An extra $200 to every purchase adds up quickly once one discovers how easy it is to buy XYZ smile.png

They do not make one. They craftily word the description of the universal mount to make you think that is what it might be. It is a blank endcap, no bore, and no threads. Do not think for a second that they offer anything that will attach to 24x1.5 threads. The one for the MAC channel videos must have been a personal favor or something and is not available to us regular common folks. That video does not state that you can't mount their cans to a 24x1.5 FSB, like the can mounted to the 24x1.5 FSB would have you think.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Was talking about the Surefire mount. Only issue there is the fact that I lose the ability to run the standard brake/FH/booster when that thing is attached.

Stalking Rhino Industries supposedly has something in the works....

Guess the waiting game continues since I'm not going to Rocksett a Surefire mount onto any of my AKs and the Huntertown Arms route is not as perfect as they make it out to be.

Was talking about the Surefire mount. Only issue there is the fact that I lose the ability to run the standard brake/FH/booster when that thing is attached.

Stalking Rhino Industries supposedly has something in the works....

Guess the waiting game continues since I'm not going to Rocksett a Surefire mount onto any of my AKs and the Huntertown Arms route is not as perfect as they make it out to be.

Are you referring to the 24x1.5 mount or the 14x1 LH mount? If the 24x1.5, it does not Rocksett. It is likely held on by the indexing pin. Same may be true for the 14x1 LH mount, but I am not sure. I want to find out ;)

24x1.5mm

I don't own an AK with 14x1LH that I'm worried about running a can on. The large majority are 24x1.5mm.

Issue I see with not having the mount firmly secured to the threads is if you allow the suppressor to cool and then trying to wrench it off. Got a 51T mount stuck in my SDN6 that way once. Those mounts now get blind pinned and welded onto AR uppers. I imagine it would be easier to remove since the mount has something to put in a vice, but could still be a pain compared to a swappable mount or even a dedicated 24x1.5mm thread pitch. Since the can has plenty of hosts to play on I'd be down for a permanent thread pitch of 24x1.5mm along with the swappable mount design of the 762 AK Kestrel.

For those considering putting a suppressor on an AK I will share what TROSUSA told me regarding barrel/thread concentricity.

"The problem is that the threads on the sight tower will never be concentric with the bore. The only safe way to use a can on those guns, in my opinion, would be to thread the barrels directly with the appropriate thread."

So it would seem that the adapters are just asking for a baffle strike. Worth what it cost you but these guys do a lot of this sort of work.

• 3 months later...

Hows this can performed for you are you happy with it.

I would be interested if price is right.

For my slr 107cr

• 10 months later...

Sorry bring back a dead thread but I have tested the Kestral in x39, x45, x51, .22lr.

I was told when purchasing them I would be able to purchase 24mm end cap No Joy!. I machined a few up at the shop and started testing the cans.

8.25 blbl in 545 or 762x39 not even hearing safe

10 to 12.5 not hearing safe

Really anything under 16" the can is not hearing safe.

51 can on a PSL 18.5 bbl was horrible.

On AR pattern rifles better results but not on par with other sub 500 cans.

20130822_111425_zps2ade1633.jpg

No I will not machine more of these out.

20130822_111457_zps58688374.jpg

20130822_111444_zps4b41dda7.jpg

For my 5.45 guns I purchased a CNC Warrior 24x1.5 to 5/8x24 adapter and mounted a 51T muzzle brake to it. I then run cleaning rods through the whole set up over and over, with the weapon laying at different orientations, to see if the cleaning rods contact any part of the mount or SDN-6.

So far I've got one Krink I'm running suppressed with no issues. As other builds get completed they'll get the same treatment since suppressed AKs, while not hearing safe or "quiet" compared to ARs, are still quieter than unsuppressed.

While I could do the same thing to my 103 clone, I'm too much of a puss to test and test and test and then pull the trigger on a round. The .221 in .30+ suppressor bore doesn't spook me after checking with the cleaning rods, but a full .30 bullet going through the can would give me some serious pucker factor.

Edited by towerofpower93
  • 1 month later...

Did you watch a video that said there would be a 24x1.5 mount for it.... before you purchased the can? Was that a big part of your decision to buy that can?

When you have the owner of the company sitting in your shop telling you "we will be offering a 24mm mount as well as many others" you dot need to see it on the net.

Jim

Did you watch a video that said there would be a 24x1.5 mount for it.... before you purchased the can? Was that a big part of your decision to buy that can?

When you have the owner of the company sitting in your shop telling you "we will be offering a 24mm mount as well as many others" you dot need to see it on the net.

Jim

Well, I suppose he didn't lie. He offered it, just never actually let people buy it.