New MKA-1919 on the way

Reading forums and reviews lead me purchase the gun, and it is on the way. Not sure whether to be excited or worried. I own a number of hand guns (Bersa Thunder 380, Bersa Pro 9mm, Kahr KM9, Ruger LCP), but never owned a shotgun. When I decided to purchase a shotgun, I went with this because I like being able to change magazines fast, instead of slower reloading on a standard pump or auto shotgun. I still feel I made the right decision.

Questions:

1. Should I expect it to shoot well out of the box? Alot of reviews are mixed. Some say they shot good with no problems, some said that it needed broken in, and some said it needed modifications to shoot well.

2. I really expect a gun that costs this much to be reliable. Am I going to have to modify it to get it to shoot reliably?

3. I picked up 100 rounds of Winchester 8 shot 1300 velocity to break it in, but am now not sure if this is the right ammo.

The new gun is being delivered to my FFL tomorrow, and am ready to take it out this weekend, so your comments would help.

Thanks.

Welcome to the sickness that is MKA! Even after you have it modded, you cant stop reading about the damn thing! Suggestion: Plan your mods well. Have them done all at once, and be willing to pay for exactly what you want the first time! It gets expensive to kep upgrading...Enjoy!

OK. So what kind of velocity am I looking for. I have #8 shot with a 1300 velocity, and have only found a couple of manufacturers that are more than that. If buckshot and slugs are the same velocity, how are they better for break in?

Also will a gas booster bushing help with feed issues, or is it snake oil?

MOST will do just fine with 1300fps, if yours is the new XN, it should run close to 100% out of the box.

I like to run them WET, after break in it doesn't seem to matter as much.

A gas booster will usually help during the break in, most times you can remove it later on, and get by shooting the CHEAP bulk pak stuff, a few guns never* seem to be able to operate without one.

Never is a BROAD term, and by that I mean there are some with 3-400 rounds that still need the booster, both my personal one had no problems after about 100 rds of the cheap stuff.

I sold my first one when it had about 2500 through it, probably should have kept it just to see how long it would run. But it was still tight ,never had a problem with anything.

Thanks for the input. I didnt realize it would be as hard to find high velocity shotgun ammo as it is for my handguns!

Today I bought 100 rounds Kent Fasteel 3" #6 shot at 1560 fps. Will use these first, then find some better quality ammo as needed.

My wife used to think I was crazy by modifying all my cars. She "thought" that would stop when I got into guns!

• Like 1

OMG!!!

IF you have a new XN gun I say 50 rounds of 1250 fps or so and it's ready to go!

I ran two boxes or hunting loads through it and went straight to target loads.

Since those 100 rounds I basically run My loads in her.

1050 fps Lee 7/8 oz key drive slugs.

They cycle every time!!!

The newer the gun the quicker the break in. IMO

I find it really funny that people say there are a lot of mods for our mka's.... the problem is that most are sold out and have been for a while. kinda disappointing to say the least. makes me wonder if I wasted my money on this shotgun knowing that I can't get everything I need for it. Tooth and Nail Armory seems to be the only supplier with some parts.Carolina Shooter Supply is a joke when it comes to getting anything.

I find it really funny that people say there are a lot of mods for our mka's.... the problem is that most are sold out and have been for a while. kinda disappointing to say the least. makes me wonder if I wasted my money on this shotgun knowing that I can't get everything I need for it. Tooth and Nail Armory seems to be the only supplier with some parts.Carolina Shooter Supply is a joke when it comes to getting anything.

Carolinas Hooters Supply does well. You just have to be patient and monitor their site constantly to get what you want. Dont give up hope on the MKA! Mississippi Auto Arms is the frustrating one! I have never been able to get anything from them. I do my best to stay with T&N cuz he is RELIABLE! BTW, is your MKA an XN or an older one???

I have an older model MKA and it has cycled EVERYTHING it has been fed staight out of the box without exception.

Reguarding the post about a shortage of upgrades understand this, Obama has been nominated firearm salesman of the century. Everything is in short supply thanks to him and his fellow libtards.

Patience, we shall prevail!

looking to make my MKA like most of you have already, I don't really like the stock look at all. I would like to change the forearm, stock, trigger, add a muzzle brake, etc. I would like to complete this all in one transaction. There is no one in Utah who can do this for me so it looks like I will have to send my shotgun off to someone?

I am afraid that I will get it apart only to have trouble putting it back together again. This is my first shotgun and let's just say for the record that I am a dummy. I have lots of stupid questions to ask, that's because I know absolutely nothing about this platform.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="stewie3" data-cid="877375" data-time="1363565585"><p>

I am afraid that I will get it apart only to have trouble putting it back together again. This is my first shotgun and let's just say for the record that I am a dummy. I have lots of stupid questions to ask, that's because I know absolutely nothing about this platform.</p></blockquote>

I went through this forum from the beginning (two years worth of info!) and found lots of great info from owners and pro gunsmiths. This forum is awesome. I made my decision to buy mine based on it. I too am not confident about cutting the stock for an adapter. I will have that part done for me.

• 2 weeks later...