I've been doing some research but finding that I really want to hear from people with experience and their recommendations.

I don't want to go to ARFCOM anymore, so I am asking here.

I want to deck out my M&P 15 with a laser sight, bottom mounted on a picatinny rail.

I am currently leaning toward red, because its harder to follow the beam to its source.

What I want to ask, is do you recommend red or green and why, and what laser sights do you think are a good value. I'd like to stay below $200, but I guess in the end, any price is Okay if its really just that reliable and functional.

Thoughts and recommendations?

Get one of the 45-50 dollar GREEN lasers on ebay... that mount to a picatinny rail. they are all pretty much the same inside... Sure you can spend 200 dollars for a name brand one... and get the EXACT same LASER DIODE... the metal parts MIGHT be a LITTLE better... but really when it boils down to it... the cheap ones do the same thing. I have had one for YEARS now... still functions just as well and BRIGHT as day ONE!!!

That is if you want to USE THE LASER DURING THE DAY!!!!

If you need it ONLY for dusk/dark use... then a red will work. You will NOT see a red laser outside on a bright day at any range past about 20 feet...

any decent green laser will be visible at 50 -75 yards on MOST days, depending on what you are shining it against...

:smoke:

Get one of the 45-50 dollar GREEN lasers on ebay... that mount to a picatinny rail. they are all pretty much the same inside... Sure you can spend 200 dollars for a name brand one... and get the EXACT same LASER DIODE... the metal parts MIGHT be a LITTLE better... but really when it boils down to it... the cheap ones do the same thing. I have had one for YEARS now... still functions just as well and BRIGHT as day ONE!!!Get one of the 45-50 dollar GREEN lasers on ebay... that mount to a picatinny rail. they are all pretty much the same inside... Sure you can spend 200 dollars for a name brand one... and get the EXACT same LASER DIODE... the metal parts MIGHT be a LITTLE better... but really when it boils down to it... the cheap ones do the same thing. I have had one for YEARS now... still functions just as well and BRIGHT as day ONE!!!

agreed, dont waste your money one red, I bought a green $45 one on ebay and its visible in daylight, In the brightest sunlight they are all a little difficult to see but the green only needs anything less than direct sunlight to be very bright

Mac11 factory sights suck badly, but I can now hip fire bullseye

I know that you had answered my post about the Eotech, are you already running one on your AR?

The Eotech is the only sight on my M&P-15. In another thread we were discussing sightmark sights, and I purchased one for my M&P 15-22 due to the discussion, and I arrived at the "shit your pants" conclusion for the evildoer who sees a red laser dot on themselves.

That led me to start researching for a laser sight to add. Its not so much for aiming (but will serve, should my Eotech fail), but its more for the "oh my god, I think I just shit my pants; time to run!" aspect. Object: terror in the adversary.

Anyway, then I got into this point of what one to get and I am reading all sorts of crap about failures in cheap ones, cheap ones work better, etc. That lead me to ask you guys.

Okay, it seems that Green is a big pull with you guys. Is there a specific brand/model? Is there a model where the batteries are aligned not to wear the contacts due to repeated recoil?

Per the blue light, I am going to look it up. Blue is excellent. It goes the furthest.

Is there a specific brand/model? Is there a model where the batteries are aligned not to wear the contacts due to repeated recoil?

I have had no issues with this model...and you will like the adj knobs, you dont have to carry & fool with or look for allen wrenches

no recoil issues and it holds a zero tested it on my Sagia12, 7.62x39, or 9mm

Item number

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Powerful-532nm-Green-Dot-Laser-Sight-with-20mm-Mount-2-Switch-2-Mount-Hunting-/121076629180?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item1c30babebc

$(KGrHqJ,!h4E+rK!jW38BP7+0gqIYg~~60_1.JP

Edited by wasrNwarpaint
Is there a specific brand/model? Is there a model where the batteries are aligned not to wear the contacts due to repeated recoil?

I have had no issues with this model...and you will like the adj knobs, you dont have to carry & fool with or look for allen wrenches

no recoil issues and it holds a zero tested it on my Sagia12, 7.62x39, or 9mm

Item number

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Powerful-532nm-Green-Dot-Laser-Sight-with-20mm-Mount-2-Switch-2-Mount-Hunting-/121076629180?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item1c30babebc

$(KGrHqJ,!h4E+rK!jW38BP7+0gqIYg~~60_1.JP

I like this item, thanks for posting it, it looks nice and compact, just wish it wasen't shipping from China, and I'm partial to red for no real technical reason. I bought one of those real cheapo varmit lasers a couple of years ago, I guess it's made to go on a 22 or a pellet gun, anyhow....I mounted it on my S-20 and have just shot the hell out of it and it still hits what I point it at, haven't had any problems with it. I have often thought about the "oh...I just shit my pants" factor of someone finding it on them, this one is red, and I also have a Crimson Trace on my FS92 Beretta, cause I basically can't see shit anymore.

Are there any real beefits of having green rathrer than red....anyone??

green is visible in daylight

Green also will transmit further before petering out. That's why I thought the blue would be cool. Blue should reach the furthest.

On the other hand, I think its safe to say people think of the Red as the laser to be scared of, from its use in movies over the years. I wonder if Red might be better for the crap-yer-pants factor.

Check out the Viridian Green X5L RS (rifle shotgun) with the pressure switch. You can find them for around 350 bucks and they will perform a lot better than the stuff you will find for 200 bucks. It's made in the USA and they stand behind their gear. I know it is out of your target range but you already have a fine rifle. You will be rewarded with higher quality if you wait a week and kick it up a notch. This model is the most bang for your buck on your platform.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24V_ndPpSTY youtube video.

Green does not cut of on certain colors like red does. It's much more visible. Red can compensate for the fade by strobe but it still isn't green. Lasers are like tracers, they work both ways. The remote switch is a smart option to use only when you need to shoot. Leaving it on makes you stick out like a sore thumb.

If you only want pipe hitters to see your location when you turn on your sights, use an IR. smile.png

Edited by Stryker0946
  • Like 1

green is visible in daylight

Green also will transmit further before petering out. That's why I thought the blue would be cool. Blue should reach the furthest.

On the other hand, I think its safe to say people think of the Red as the laser to be scared of, from its use in movies over the years. I wonder if Red might be better for the crap-yer-pants factor.

Blue technology is far away. It will bind you at night, consumes a lot of energy, creates a lot of heat and the technology will cost a bunch right now to get anything to work well. The pattern is more square than circular and will be fuzzy and unfocused for less than a grand.

Check out the Viridian Green X5L RS (rifle shotgun) with the pressure switch. You can find them for around 350 bucks and they will perform a lot better than the stuff you will find for 200 bucks. It's made in the USA and they stand behind their gear. I know it is out of your target range but you already have a fine rifle. You will be rewarded with higher quality if you wait a week and kick it up a notch. This model is the most bang for your buck on your platform.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24V_ndPpSTY youtube video.

Green does not cut of on certain colors like red does. It's much more visible. Red can compensate for the fade by strobe but it still isn't green. Lasers are like tracers, they work both ways. The remote switch is a smart option to use only when you need to shoot. Leaving it on makes you stick out like a sore thumb.

If you only want pipe hitters to see your location when you turn on your sights, use an IR. smile.png

Thanks Stryker. I appreciate the help. After watching a youtube video on it, I am seriously considering it. I am beginning to think the option of the flashlight is a good one too, and being in one unit is good, because I hate wasting real estate.

Thanks for that. I was looking at this one myself too. It might be a good way to go.

Human eyes are the most sensitive in the green region of the spectrum. That's why the green stands out better than the red. A green laser at the same power as red will look almost twice as bright.

Here's a chart that shows kinda the way our eyes see.

1-s2.0-S0038109809001185-gr5.jpg

• Like 1

Too bad there's no yellow laser, that color, being the most irritating would be the easiest to see.

I spent a few hours reading and researching, and ended up getting the Viridian. The Viridian is simply amazing, puts a bright flashlight on it (less real estate) and has fantastic settings for strobe effects. And, being American made, its good to support our own businesses, as well as the quality factor. Thanks Stryker.

Now I am thinking a cheaper one for my 15-22. I am not burning that much for the 15-22, so its either a cheap green or red laser, probably with no light.

So, keep any suggestions coming, if you have any!

Edited by Remek
  • Like 1

Only laser I use is on the mouse gun I keep for night time bump in the night stuff. Put a decent led 1" flashlight on it also, not anything designated for firearm use, which only drives up price not quality.

Its very easy to use inside about 35 yards which is exactly how far I need it to operate.

Other than that one firearm I've no real use for them but that one use is sheer golden.

Cheap lasers are a crap shoot, expensive ones just flat out theft as they will still fail also just not as often.

• Like 1
Hope I didn't make a mistake on that one. That video was great too, Stryker. It helped me by showing me the options and how effective they really were.
Sounds like Rhodes never used quality lasers or lighting. Dont let him freak you out. The lasers designed for firearms are over engineered for dust, moisture, shock and heat. Cheap lasers have a poor unfocused beam, suck juice, open circuits from shock and dont stay true. Dont take my word for it. Go beat the hell out of your new beam and light. Quality outfits stand behind their work. Cheap chinese shit is toxic waste that ends up in American landfills.

Emphatically green.

Also, let em follow the beam back to it's source. one of the most useful aspects of a laser is de-escalation. field statistics of police encouters show that lasers change bad guys minds and prevent firefights.

• Like 1

^^^ was that a green laser? I am totally for the shit-your-pants factor. Its really the reason I purchased. However, with Stryker's advice and research subsequent, I learned the advantage and some of how to deploy lights. The combo seems excellent. I like less real estate, and really, the combo with a light already puts you around 150 minimum from what I've seen.

Stryker: I was thinking the same this past day. One of the important things is a housing that can take a beating. I have to assume the cheap ones didnt spend the $$$ on sturdiness. Its hard to know this, as they dont have much of the stats on these things when they are cheap, but therein lies the telltale sign of inadequate build quality.

I tend to be gentle with my rifles, but when SHTF, its good to know that it will handle up to it.

• Like 1