Just received a Halo Mfg 4 rail handguard

Something like the DSA Predator set up for AR's?

Yes, definitely 6500rpm it would look fantastic designed for a Saiga 12, and It would be extremely functional. You could put a flip up adjustable rear sight on the picatinny rail, another one at the front of the rail, or use a front barrel sight. I've come up with an invention of solving the dust cover accessibility problem with a rail going all the way to the rear reciever of a Saiga 12. If I had the funds right now I would be working on a prototype. Maybe this summer I will. I'm sure that they would sell like very well. The choice of different optics that you could use with a system like this would be would be quite large as can be imagined.

Edited by TacticalResponse

If you slap a rail on there and use M16 type sights, you may just end up raising the sighting plane high enough to screw up your cheekweld on a standard AK stock. In addition, you might end up getting excessive "drop" at close CQB ranges kinda like the M16. I've always liked the AKs because of their low sighting plane.

Edited by ForGreatJustice
If you slap a rail on there and use M16 type sights, you may just end up raising the sighting plane high enough to screw up your cheekweld on a standard AK stock.

If you slap a rail on there and use M16 type sights, you may just end up raising the sighting plane high enough to screw up your cheekweld on a standard AK stock. In addition, you might end up getting excessive "drop" at close CQB ranges kinda like the M16. I've always liked the AKs because of their low sighting plane.

I've considered making an AK front and rear flip up sight for a picatinny rail for over a year now. It would be designed with the proper sighting plane.

• 2 months later...
Halo has not yet set a price, but I believe it will be around $295.

My saiga was only like $305, with rail sight and 22" barrel.

All I could ever ask for is a wooden stock, to balance the long, heavy, barrel, and possibly a rifle sight... I can manage with the rail, but rifle (v-notch) or peep sights can improve accuracy significantly... just not for the price of the gun itself.

How much are new Saiga-12's going for now? Without the conversion.

I can understand some people's thoughts of "I'm not going to spend that much... it's almost as much as I paid for the shotty."

My first thought was 'damn that is cool and functional and I've got to have one' then closely followed by.... the "I'm not going to spend that much...." But then I started looking at the cost of other options for a rail systems and sights.

1. Consider what you're going to spend for an AR quad rail system and the time to convert it.

2. Consider the cost of Kreb's sight system for the S12 plus the rail in 1.

3. Consider the cost of an original Russian clamp-on sighting system plus the rail in 1.

4. Consider Tony's HK sight conversion and single pic rail mod.

All of these approaches can be nice, and depending on what you're looking for - may be your cup of tea. But for a quality rail system with sights, you not going to find a much cheaper option unless you make/machine it yourself. Additionally you have another US compliant part... and you have no permanent modification to your shotgun.

For me... I'm buying at least two.

Edited by RDSWriter
For me, it will depend on how I like the sights, or whether the upper plane can be removed. But it's the only game in town for a true rail system on the S12. So I may ignore my sight preferences this once. It's definitely worth the price in the sense that the price accurately reflects the cost and market forces.

Last I heard from Halo. It has adjustble sights, it is 2 pieces and you can mount just the lower tri-rail portion by itself if you want, and it is a direct 1 screw replacement of the factory handguard. Add to that Tony's seal of approval, I am definately waiting for it.

Hopefully I will have the $250 ready when they get to my name on the list. ;)