Adding rails to original stock?

Has anyone thought about adding rails to the existing stock by filling in the grooved/textured sides with a hardening filler compound such as a bondo-like substance (not actual bondo, wouldn't hold up) and adding the rails after sanding and appropriate paint? Kind of a frugal/white trash approach, however just wondering if it has been done.

Did a Google + whatever you are looking for + Saiga forum and didn't find anything.

I've done it to the factory 762 handguard but it's different. On that i Dremeled out part of the rib on the inside bottom then drilled holes and added a MOE rail, ended up sturdy and looked good. I actually want to do it to a Kvar S12 handguard but im not sure what the inside looks like.

Has anyone thought about adding rails to the existing stock by filling in the grooved/textured sides with a hardening filler compound such as a bondo-like substance (not actual bondo, wouldn't hold up) and adding the rails after sanding and appropriate paint? Kind of a frugal/white trash approach, however just wondering if it has been done.

It ain't trash unless it looks like trash or isn't strong enough. Nothing wrong with saving a few dollars by doing modifications yourself.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure Cobra can give some guidance here. I thought about doing the same thing a few years back. The trick is dealing with mounting a flat rail on a tapered forend, obviously.

Search on his page in the main page. Long-time member of the forum (since S12s were in the $200 range, I suspect). His work is professional, and he's done a bunch. Even if you don't send him the work, he's a great guy and will point you in the right direction. Also does good-looking and functional venting work on forends.

• Like 1

Did a Google + whatever you are looking for + Saiga forum and didn't find anything.

Actually rather than fill it in, I prefer to mill it out to get rid of the checkering. Then drill through the rails and use a flush mounted allen screw / machine screw, with threaded backing nuts.

If adding a bottom rail I use a tapered piece of rail designed to fit the top of an AR-15 carry handle. That way the rail surface stays parallel with the bore.