who has shortened their barrel length

I was looking into having my barrel shortened and a css molot copy brake added to bring length to legal limit. I was wondering if anyone has done this and what changes need to be done to the gas system to achieve reliability. thank you for any help.

Measure how long you will cut off and mark the barrel. Drill large bores into the barrel to the keasured line. Load and fire. If it works you are fine. If not you know you have work to do. The "self regulating" gas system on the VEPR is overgassed according to most anyway so you could hypothetically lose some of it and not have any issues.

I have contemplated the same project, but am hesitant to mess with something i could have issues replacing. May Try to get a Saiga in the near future to toy with cuttig down and adding a permanent break to. Either that or doing an NFA and pestering EVLBLKWPNS till he either gives technical advice or blocks my number.

• Like 1

I think most V12s would only need some refinement of the action if not going much shorter than 14" or so. Adding a port will keep the gas block cleaner than enlarging ports, if the new port is angled properly. I suggest leaving the ports alone, unless the test firing produces FTE with your baseline testing ammo. Even with a permed muzzle device, the gas block pins can be removed and the block can be slid forward to allow access to the port area, unless you are going insanely short with a perm. It could be beneficial to increase the bevel on the underside of the port orifice before the perming is done, if the shadow of the orifice on the barrel looks too small to allow the free flow of gases from another port to the rear. Let us know how it goes and what works for you.

If I was going for an SBS, and was going to be dealing with timing issues/reliability enhancements from shortening anyway... I would go 12" at a max. Nothing good happens after 12" on a shotty.

And since it's box mag fed.. f it. Nothing to be gained from a longer mag tube either. Chip Chop.

thanks guys for chimming in, drilling " pressure relief "holes for early testing is genius I understand final adjustments will have to be made. I will update with pics when I get time for this ,probably about a month away. again thanks to all.