• 2004 "AWB" sunsets
    • 2001 Sept 11 terrorist attack
    • 2000 Y2K
    • 1994 "AWB" passed
    • 1989 BATF imported "assault weapon" ban
    • 1980 Iranian Hostage Rescue fails - Reagan elected
    • 1969 Woodstock - Hamburger Hill
    • 1960 John F Kennedy becomes President

You need to read this poll carefully and pick the First or Oldest historical event/year in which you OWNED your own gun(s).
Some of the events had the effect of increasing gun ownership and therefore by the next event/year listed you were a gun owner.

For others it was just becoming old enough, getting a job, becoming interested - with no historical event to lead them to gun ownership. That's fine too.
While not scientific in a year by year way, you will still be able to see when the members of the forum became gun owners.
Feel free to post replies to tell about your first gun you owned and why you got it.

Edited by ChileRelleno

I'm 30 years old and had a Marlin .22 magnum bolt action, which I still have. It was a Christmas gift from my father and in '94, I really didn't have a full grasp of what the AWB was because I wasn't buying anything... But my dad and uncle were buying a lot of stuff. Several MAC10's and the such as I remember.

My Dad bought me my first. A Glenfield .22 bolt action with a 7 round magazine. That was in 1975. I still have the gun and still use it for backyard garden thieves. Not an expensive rifle but it was my first and I will never get rid of that gun.

The first thing I bought for myself when I started working the hay fields at the age of 16 was a Marlin Model 60. $60 also happens to be what I paid for it. The year was 1979. The time I spent in the woods with that rifle are some of the fondest memories of my life. A year later I gave it to my little brother when I went to boot camp.

I was given my first gun in 1984 when I was six, a stevens .410 youth model, by my old man. That day and the day we went and picked up the 20" Colt Sportster right after Clinton got elected are to of my favorite gun/dad memories. I remember him saying they were going to ban them so we needed to get one....Although my old man is no longer around....I still have both guns.

I took my 6 year old son out to shoot the same .410 a few weeks ago. It doesn't get much better than that!

• Like 2

I still have the .22 that dad gave me when I was around 10. It is mint. He has passed. I have his Stevens 20 guage, 12 guage, and 410. They are old and rusty. I have a single shot break open .22 that my grandpa used going back and forth to school to shoot squirrel and rabbit for supper. He took the rifle to school with him.

I was six in '89, that was about the time my Great Grandfather gave me his Stevens .22 bolt action rifle. I still have that rifle, this thread made me remember it is in my Dads safe...I just decided I will give it to my Daughter in another year or two.

I got a 10/22 when I was somewhere between 11 and 13. My family is notoriously stingy, and we had bad luck with stick mags. I kept putting off buying hotlips mags and I remember the "expensive" $18 hotlips going for $90 for some used ones. That was a learning experience. You can bet I bought a few right after sunset.

Then I bought some better T.I. mags for the 10/22, after being fed up that only one of mine likes the butler creek mags.

I was about 12 years old when I got a marlin model 60 for Christmas in 1993. It was one of the best presents I ever got for Christmas and I still have it to this day. Now it has a 4 power weaver scope on it and it is my go to gun for shooting ground hogs in the back yard.

Edited by rogers

Was given my first rifle when I was born. It was a Winchester 30/30 with custom engraving and my initials in gold were in the stock. It was passed down from my Grandfather for whom I was named after. When I was 7 years old, I shot and killed my first deer on their ranch. When my son was born, I passed it on to him. Unfortunately, it was lost, among other things, when our home burned to the ground some years back. It was appraised at $15K. Sure do miss that rifle....l

I received my first Daisy Model 105B went I turned 8 in 1975.... NIB

When I turned 10 in 1977 my father bought me a used Whinchester Model 77 semi 22lr..... Manufactured from 1955 - 1963

I still own both.

Edited by akastormi

I purchased my first gun when I was in 10th grade. It was my confirmation and since my older brother had gotten a 20 gauge single shot for his confirmation I was expecting the same. The day came and I got a watch. I went out the next weekend with my dad and bought a Mossberg 500 12 gauge. Still have it in the gun cabinet. Took a lot of pheasant and deer with that gun.

My dad bought me my first nylon 66 .22 rifle by remington in 1986 or so. I still own that little rifle.I plan on passjng it down to my boy one day. Then he allowed me to pick out my very first deer rifle at 14, a chinese SKS. I remember picking out the rifle from a large crate, it was wrapped in cosmoline and brown paper. He payed $75 for that rifle, its filled the freezer more than once for various family members. Those were great memories. This is why I do not understand why people today would want to deny their sons and daughters of their gun rights and great childhood memories.

I purchased My first firearm when I knew I was ready for that kind of responsibility.

Exactly what I did as well. I suppose technically I had a gun when I around 88 or 89, but it was non-functioning (at the time) and just a memento. I voted for the time era when I purchased my first gun.. Right around '00 or '01.

You guys that had your Dad's loading up on guns for you lucked out! My family isn't really big on shooting (not for or against, just no interest) so I didn't get started with my collection until much later in life.

I purchased My first firearm when I knew I was ready for that kind of responsibility.

Exactly what I did as well. I suppose technically I had a gun when I around 88 or 89, but it was non-functioning (at the time) and just a memento. I voted for the time era when I purchased my first gun.. Right around '00 or '01.

You guys that had your Dad's loading up on guns for you lucked out! My family isn't really big on shooting (not for or against, just no interest) so I didn't get started with my collection until much later in life.

Same deal, my father was a LEGAL immigrant from Cuba by way of Spain and he never was into firearms. I guess it was just a difference in culture or having to deal with Fidel Castro that left him with a bad impression of firearms. My boy will have his own .22 when the time comes so he can go out shooting with papa, and believe me when I say I'm looking forward to that immensely.

Edited by Venia
  • Like 1

I bought a pistol a few years after I got my first apartment. I couldnt have one on campus, and when I was with my parents, my dad or uncle had any gun I could want to shoot. The first few years were pretty tight, no spare money for guns.

Now, I have a few, but same deal. Any decently known firearm you care to name, my dad has, so I just tell him to bring one out to the range if I wanna shoot it. Last year I mentioned I was looking at Veprs on sale, he bought 2. So, my purchases are all HD, SD and SHTF related, mainly because he already has stuff waaaaay better than I could get anyhow. Hes got a Springfield Gold Cup 1911, National Match M1 Garand, etc.

I did just order an excellent condition Mosin M44 though, mainly to eat through his 9k rounds of x54r he has just sitting there. wink.png