• 2004 "AWB" sunsets
    • 2001 Sept 11 terrorist attack
    • 2000 Y2K
    • 1994 "AWB" passed
    • 1989 BATF imported "assault weapon" ban
    • 1980 Iranian Hostage Rescue fails - Reagan elected
    • 1969 Woodstock - Hamburger Hill
    • 1960 John F Kennedy becomes President

Guess I'm an old fart! LOL My first rifle was a Winchester 22 LH model, even though I was and am a rightie. That was back in the early 60s. My first rightie was when I was 12 and was a Remington 550-1 in 1970. I wished I had all of them back, but I still have those two and will till I draw my last breath.

Got my first rifle, a .22 single shot bolt, in 1955 when I turned 8 years old.................. My 2nd wife bent the barrel in the process of beating my car all to hell with it. Bitch.

Don't know whether to laugh or cry over this one.

Actually, I do. That's sad, and you're right, she's a (super) bitch.

Did you manage to salvage it?

Guess I'm an old fart! LOL My first rifle was a Winchester 22 LH model, even though I was and am a rightie. That was back in the early 60s. My first rightie was when I was 12 and was a Remington 550-1 in 1970. I wished I had all of them back, but I still have those two and will till I draw my last breath.

You don't look near that old in your avatar Jake. Nice perm, too.

• Like 2

I got my LTC in MA in March 2008. Until about 2004 I didn't even realize you could own firearms in MA without a work requirement. I received my initial LTC with a carry restriction that as of this year has finally been removed. First one I bought was my G17, then my Marlin 60. First gun I shot during my required training class was a Sig Mosquitto and it jammed far too much for me to ever want one of those.

Sure, growing up in rural North Dakota it's hard not to be exposed to firearms. We ran around on a regular basis with our 22's by our side and when deer season came upon us we graduated into the big leagues as long as our father had a watchful eye. But it wasn't until I moved to Alaska did I feel the need to be armed for self defense. My first purchase, a CZ SP-01 Phantom (9mm) was in 2010. My second, an S-12 was just last month.

Sure I would rather prefer a utopian society where I didn't fear the capabilities of the fellow man behind me. But this is Alaska, check your feelings at the door! Here being ill prepared can very easily make you the victim of your own ignorance...

So far, my vote is the only one that lands between '08-'12.

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter

"I Owned a Gun When..."

"Saturday Night Special" - was the evil buzz word - Not "Assault Rifle" or "High-Capacity" magazine

The only 7.62x39mm in this country was of Norma mfg and imported by Interarms at about $2.00/rd. ($36 - $40 per box)

The only "AK's" were owned by the military, bringback DEWATS and "amnesty" guns (NFA amnesty of '68).

The only civilian producer of AR's was COLT - and they sold few.

A box of 50 .22LR, High Velocity was under .50 cents a box at the gas station.

Surplus M-1 Garands were still around $75 to $100 in good condition and not re-imported from Korea or Greece.

The Colt GOLD CUP was the epitome of .45 / 1911 ownership.

High Schools still had "shooting" rifle teams.

1976 - Savage .22

Edited by macbeau

I'm 26 - technically didn't own my first rifle that was no-kidding my own until I was 18 (2005), when I purchased a WASR-10. There were firearms in the house growing up that had been owned by my grandfather, which I did eventually inherit - but they weren't truly mine until a few years ago.

Dasiy BB gun 1960 I was 8.

Just came home in Nov. from pheasant hunting and my bog brother asked if I wanted to take the 1968 Remington Speed Master 552 home because he had no room in the gun vault.

I had not seen this gun since I last used it in 68. shoots short, longs and LR.

Edited by jerry52