UTG K47 Tactical QD Low-profile Rail System

http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mitem=mount&level1=&level2=&itemno=MNT-988Q&status=&mtrack=m

Thoughts?

I know there are others like it, some cheaper, some quite a bit more expensive, but this one has some cool features. I can't find anyone who has it, but I know they introduced it at SHOT. If it's a reasonable price, I'd get it just to try it out. I was thinking about the DPH Arms beryl style mount, or maybe a TWS Dogleg rail. The Krebs rail seems the best, but I don't know if they are still making it. Sent them a message, but no reply yet. I know the side mount rail is a good option, but the AK I want to put it on is an Interarms, and it doesn't have the side rail attachment. I'm trying to keep it streamlined. (I already have my Saiga with a side rail. It is the tacticool one, but this one needs a scope mount too. I use them for hog hunting.) If you guys know if anyone has them yet, I think I'm gonna get one just to try it out.

post-46272-0-22920500-1362876163.gif

yep, 90 bucks on the Leapers Website, so prolly 50-60ish street. yep, it is a rip off of the Krebs, but at 1/6 the price, might be a sleeper. Like a Civic with a chevy small block. And it looks like it opens up w/o having remove a tang screw. there is a thing that attaches to the Tang, and the rail clips, and unclips to that. A lot of the beryl style mounts have no way to have BUIS, the Krebs does, and the 2nd generation DPH beryl mount does. This one has them. It's a UTG Pro, so it is USA made, not China made. All the UTG "Pro" models are USA made. Does anyone know if any place has them yet?

• 2 weeks later...

Found a place that say's they have them. Hoke International Arms. Never heard of them. Ordered one anyway. We'll see... Got an email saying that they are backordered. Hope it gets here soon, and works out great. I'll post pics of the install when I get it. Here is the link.

http://hokeinternationalarms.com/UTG-K47-Tactical-QD-Low-profile-Rail-System-MNT-988Q.htm

Combathunting.com also say's they have them, but they use USPS shipping, who I've had issues with. Hoke will use UPS, which I like better.

I'll update when it gets here. Maybe do an unboxing on youtube. Maybe an install walkthrough.

• 2 weeks later...

We'll see if it hold up. Yeah, yeah, bag on UTG stuff all up like; but if it works, it works. People poo poo on Tapco, ATI, and stuff like that beacause it's cheap. Well... it works. I'm not taking this gun to the sandbox. It will do everything I want it to do so far with cheapo stuff.

dsmtsi23, do you have this product? No, well, when you get it, test it out for a while, and it breaks, or won't hold zero, your assesment will be valid. As of right now, very few people have this product. Lets see what happens.

By the way, I just got it in. Here are the install pics.

579756_3013286148824_1673765232_n.jpg

522156_3013286308828_831148248_n.jpg

525447_3013286428831_1241808495_n.jpg

734536_3013286628836_399219268_n.jpg

45297_3013286708838_1179636756_n.jpg

408061_3013286268827_25631497_n.jpg

Testing begins this weekend. I put a crappy wally world .22 scope on it w/ some weaver rings. It's a heavy scope. Too big for an AK. But that will give the mount a good beating. It was a snap to put on. Remove the rear tang screw, and screw on the bottom catch piece. The screw is longer than the original screw, (almost double). Make sure you don't lose the little ball bearing and the spring, it helps to keep the top lined up before it locks. Pop out the rear sight, pop in the top rail. Adjust the top catch to where it is tight. Tighten the screws. I would loctite it, but I ran out of loctite. When I get some more, I will do that, along with the scope rings. The instructions aren't bad, (not that you really need them).

It feels solid. Really solid. It clips and unclips similarly to the dust cover. But it snaps in with more authority. And it locks in, in a different way. It takes some force on the button to unlock it, but it opens smooth. Popping off the dust cover is a little more fiddily, but field strip is still the same old, same old.

If this thing holds up, and stays at it's current price point, I think it will be a big deal in the AK world. (by the way, I was wrong about it being a UTG Pro. It is unfortunatly not US made. Not a deal breaker, but a bit of a disapointment...I'd pay more for it if it were US made.)

I'll let you know.

• Like 2

cool look forward to the updates. people can say what they want about UTG. some is crap some is good. a friend of mine has the quad rail and never had any problems with it. I dont care for it but thats me. I run the QD side rail mount they make on my x39 and never had a problem. if this holds up i will be buying 2.

Edited by yugritin

1st impressions:

-needs a front sight w/ more contrast. longer sight radius is awesome though.

-old rear sight leaf spring needed to be bent up to put more upward pressure on the front of the rail. I might drill and tap for a set screw at this location. then it would be crazy solid.

-screws must be loctited.

-centering ball bearing pops out super easy. looks like it should be captured, but it's not. keep an eye on it. not an issue when it's closed,

things to do:

-XS big dot front sight

-drill and tap for a set screw (maybe)

-find a smaller lighter illuminated CQB 1-4 power scope

could you link where you got it, and have you determined if it was indeed ment for airsoft or if its actually for firearms. I love its look. and could you also show another pic or two of how it is attached at the buttstock and how easily it comes off for cleaning.

Yes I'm interested in knowing how it works. I said it was for airsoft because on my search to find more info on that rail it took me straight to a airsoft site that sold that specific rail. I was a little disappointed because I thought this would be a cheap alternative. . Let us know how it turns out

1st impressions:

-needs a front sight w/ more contrast. longer sight radius is awesome though.

-old rear sight leaf spring needed to be bent up to put more upward pressure on the front of the rail. I might drill and tap for a set screw at this location. then it would be crazy solid.

-screws must be loctited.

-centering ball bearing pops out super easy. looks like it should be captured, but it's not. keep an eye on it. not an issue when it's closed,

things to do:

-XS big dot front sight

-drill and tap for a set screw (maybe)

-find a smaller lighter illuminated CQB 1-4 power scope

I highly doubt you'll like the XS Big Dot sight unless you like shooting no more than 20 yards accurately. It is WAY too big for an AK (or any rifle for that matter) especially one with a peep sight, trust me I have a peep. I run a Kensight Trijicon which is quite a bit smaller than the XS and even that covers up the target at 50 yards. You can shave the Trijicon sights so they're thinner though, which apparently helps a lot. I think FFpatriot did it, maybe he'll chime in.

• Like 1

I haven't had any experience with UTG, but one gun store stopped carrying it and had a bin with stuff from them with crazy discounts, the sign was labeled Utterly Terrible Garbage. It left an impression, I haven't had the chance to try anything from them out, granted some of the rail products and what nots should be fine. Would it be better if they were extruded alum, yes, but then it wouldn't be priced such as it is.

I just picked up a handful of these to stock, they will be listed on my site later this week.

first impression is they are not too bad, seem to rtz decent and fit sturdy.

The rear sight kind of blows, for some reason they used a blade sight rather than an aperture, but with it so close to your eye, it fades out and works similar to an aperture just not quite as well.

UTG makes some decent products and some complete garbage, it depends on the product you buy from them.

So far this one seems ok, not on par with Krebs by a long way, but then again neither is the price.

It is definitely intended for firearms and not airsoft. made from extruded 6000 series aluminum.

I would expect most people to be happy with it for the price.

• Like 1
I haven't had any experience with UTG, but one gun store stopped carrying it and had a bin with stuff from them with crazy discounts, the sign was labeled Utterly Terrible Garbage. It left an impression, I haven't had the chance to try anything from them out, granted some of the rail products and what nots should be fine. Would it be better if they were extruded alum, yes, but then it wouldn't be priced such as it is.

Their stuff is hit and miss. The basic scope rings are solid and a very good deal. Their S12 rail is not designed very well. I bought a UTG barrel mount for a flashlight or laser and had problems with it shifting. I eventually got it to lock down, but I never cared for the bulk of it. It is in the WTS section and has been for a long time. They have flip up sights that are known for being flip down sites when there is recoil. A lot of their stuff is designed more for looks than for function, like scope risers with rails hanging out all over. I think you have to take each product they make on its own.

Yeah, I realized that sounded a little antagonistic after I read it again. My bad dude.

Anyway, it's holding up pretty good. Haven't got as many rounds through it yet as I would have liked, with ammo as expensive as it is, but 2-300ish. One thing that has me a little worried, is the tab that hooks into the front sight post. It is aluminum rubbing on steel. It might wear down after some time. We'll see. I might get some bright nail polish and paint the front sight and the rear a contrasting color. That way it stays a budget build. The trij sights are a bit pricy. work in progress.

When funds allow, I want to get a Vepr in .223. It will prolly get a Krebs rail. We'll see how they compare.

Sight picture pic later tonight.

• Like 1