Bolt carrier hanging up on receiver rail

I think I jinxed myself saying my I.O. ak-47 runs great in another thread. Anyways, the bolt carrier started hanging up on the receiver rail and when it cycles fully rearward. Today while firing I think the left side of the carrier jumped completely on top of the receiver rail on the left side and I had to disassemble it to get it to work again. I tried Bending the receiver rails up a little in the back with no luck. Someone suggested to try a recoil buffer to limit the travel of the carrier. I have one on order and hopefully it helps. Anyone ever had this happen to their AK -47 and does anyone have any suggestions to fix it?

Thanks

I wouldn't doubt I.O. fucd up again. This is the 2nd rifle I got from them after returning the First one because the rivet in the rear trunnion broke. The same rivet in my current rifle looks bent. I'm going to call I.O. on Monday and let them have it. Starting to think I should of never bought a I.O. rifle.

Found out I.O. rifles have a lifetime warranty. Before I pay $75 to ship it back ( for the 2nd time),I might try a big fat recoil buffer to limit rearward travel of the bolt carrier. If that don't work then I'll ship this turd back and demand a new one of better quality.

Why the fuck would it cost $75 to ship??? It costs my dealer less than that to send an MP5 insured for $18k...

In a soft case inside a box, it should cost about $30 to ship an AK rifle through the USPS.

Why the fuck would it cost $75 to ship??? It costs my dealer less than that to send an MP5 insured for $18k...

In a soft case inside a box, it should cost about $30 to ship an AK rifle through the USPS.

I was told only ffl can ship firearms through USPS. I had to go through ups last time. After a Google search I found out I was misinformed. Rifles are fine to ship through usps, pistols are not allowed. Edited by Run and Gun
Found out I.O. rifles have a lifetime warranty. Before I pay $75 to ship it back ( for the 2nd time),I might try a big fat recoil buffer to limit . arward travel of the bolt carrier. If that don't work then I'll ship this turd back and demand a new one of better quality.

I wouldn't bother with the buffer, make IO fix the problem. All a buffer will do, even if it works, will be masking a problem that's still there.

I was told only ffl can ship firearms through USPS. I had to go through ups last time. After a Google search I found out I was misinformed. Rifles are fine to ship through usps, pistols are not allowed.

Yeah I've shipped quite a few rifles from bolt guns to AR'S and while it's legal to do I am always as discrete as possible. You never know who needs a new free rifle or if the clerk is a grandma Dianne follower. I've gotten some pretty snobby clerks but found a PO where they could care less if it was a bazooka.

• 2 weeks later...

You see that on alot of homebuilds as well. People get too agressive with the cutouts in the rails for the bolt carrier to drop into, then the carrier likes to pop out. Like you've already discovered a recoil buffer is a good temp fix. Personally I would either send it to IOI for repair, or just do it yourself with a TIG rig. Just add some material back to the cutouts and file/grind to the proper shape, repair paint/bluing as necessary.