This is by far one of my favorite performers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxOiiqleJuI&list=FLbesk0SajbjhhiVe0QiUytw

Yes, very good and alot of tat's. I saw him in downtown Chattanooga while I was in Grad school there during the "Bessie Smith Strut." His brother Edgar, kinda freaky.

SRV , RIP, also very good.

Edited by U.S Praetorian
  • Like 1

Johnny used to be top billing, I watched him New Years Eve in Maple Leaf Gardens, actually saw him twice in the gardens many, many years ago late 60's.......but last time was in a bar less then 100 people in the late 80's, yet everyone still knows Edgar & Jonny is waaay more talented

• Like 1

[Originally posted on my blog Tuesday, August 24, 2004]

Macbeau's Guide to the Blues

1. Most good Blues begin with, "Woke up this morning..."

2. "I got a good woman" is a bad way to begin the Blues. Unless you stick something nasty in the next line like, "I got a good woman, with the meanest face in town."

3. The Blues is simple. After you get the first line right, repeat it. Then find something that rhymes...sort of: "Got a good woman with the meanest face in town. Yes, I got a good woman with the meanest face in town. Got teeth like a badger, and she weigh 500 pound."

4. The Blues is not about choice. It's about circumstance. You stuck in a ditch, you stuck in a ditch--ain't no way out.

5. Blues cars: Chevys, Fords, Cadillac’s and broken-down trucks. Blues don't travel in Volvos, BMWs, or Sport Utility Vehicles. Most Blues transportation is a Greyhound bus or a southbound train. Jet aircraft and state-sponsored motor pools ain't even in the running. Walkin' plays a major part in the blues lifestyle. So does fixin' to die.

6. Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

7. Blues can take place in New York City but not in Hawaii or any place in Canada. Hard times in Minneapolis or Seattle is probably just seasonal depression. Memphis, Chicago, St. Louis, and Kansas City are still the best places to have the Blues. You cannot have the blues in any place that don't get rain.

8. A man with male pattern baldness ain't the blues. A woman with male pattern baldness is. Breaking your leg cause you were skiing is not the blues. Breaking your leg 'cause a alligator be chomping on it is.

9. You can't have no Blues in a office or a shopping mall. The lighting is all wrong. Go outside to the parking lot or sit next to the dumpster in the alley....

10. Good places for the Blues:
a. highway
b. jailhouse
c. empty bed
d. bottom of a whiskey glass
e. the dumpster behind the bus station

11. Bad places for the Blues:
a. The Airport
b. Chucky Cheese
c. Ivy League institutions
d. golf courses
e. marinas

12. No one will believe it's the Blues if you wear a suit. 'less you happen to be a old ethnic person, and you slept in it.

13. Do you have the right to sing the Blues? Yes, if:
a. you older than dirt
b. you blind
c. you shot a man in Memphis
d. you can't be satisfied
e. your woman got a cheatin' heart

No, if:
a. you have all your teeth
b. you were once blind but now can see
c. the man in Memphis lived
d. you have a 401K or trust fund
e. you woke up this morning feelin' fine

14. Blues is not a matter of color. It's a matter of bad luck.
Barack Obama cannot sing the blues.
John Bobbitt could.
Ugly white people also got a leg up on the blues.

15. If you ask for water and your darlin' give you gasoline, it's the Blues. Other acceptable Blues beverages are:
a. cheap wine
b. watered down whiskey
c. muddy water
d. nasty black coffee
e. anything that made you go blind

The following are NOT Blues beverages:
a. Lite beer
b. lemonade
c. Chardonnay
d. Snapple
e. Slim Fast

16. If death occurs in a cheap motel or a shotgun shack, it's a Blues death. Stabbed in the back by a jealous lover is another Blues way to die. So is the electric chair, substance abuse and dying lonely on a broke-down cot.

You can't have a Blues death if you
a. die during a tennis match
b. die while getting liposuction
c. are trampled at a "Black Friday" sales event
d. are thrown from your polo pony
e. ate some bad caviar

17. Some Blues names for women:
a. Sadie
b. Big Mama
c. Bessie
d. Squirrel-tooth Gertty
e. Fat River Dumpling

18. Some Blues names for men:
a. Joe
b. Willie
c. Little Willie
d. Big Willie
e. Ol' Willie

19. Persons with names like Michelle, Amber, Debbie, Christy, Heidi and Heather can't sing the Blues no matter how many men they shoot in Memphis.

20. Make your own Blues name Starter Kit:
a. name of physical infirmity (Blind, Cripple, Lame, latch-eye, etc.)
b. first name (see above) plus name of fruit or fruit product (Lemon, Lime,
Kiwi, Jelly, fritter, cherry pie, etc.)
c. last name of President (Washinton, Jefferson, Johnson, Jackson, Roosevelt Fillmore, etc.)
For example: Blind Lime Jefferson, Jakeleg Lemon Johnson, Hammer-toe Jelly Jackson or Cripple Kiwi Fillmore, etc. (Well, maybe not "Kiwi.")

21. I don't care how tragic your life: if you own an IPod or IPad, you cannot sing the blues.

Macbeau sends...

Edited by macbeau
  • Like 3

Seems a guy named Greg can sing them very well...

Hello

Greg would not have been in the band if he weren't riding his brother Duane's coattails. Duane Allman and Barry Oakly WERE the Allman Bros.

Greg played 2nd keyboard.

BTW, Duane Allman was also "Derek & the Dominos" (His haunting slide guitar made that song "Layla") not so much Eric Clapton.....

-guido in Houston

"God Loves Liberty"

Hello

Comes to the blues, there were two gen-u-ine voodoo chiles...

Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn

And there's more to it than just badass playin'. They were truly "ones of a kind", but salt of the earth.

Can't forget about Fleetwood Mac. Badass blues band.

Before you dismiss me as a fool research Peter Green. Fleetwood Mac started out as a serious blues band (no women) with an extremely talented guitarist/songwriter. He was sort'a a voodoo chile in his own right.

guido in Houston

"God Loves Liberty"

Seems a guy named Greg can sing them very well...

Hello

Greg would not have been in the band if he weren't riding his brother Duane's coattails. Duane Allman and Barry Oakly WERE the Allman Bros.

Greg played 2nd keyboard.

BTW, Duane Allman was also "Derek & the Dominos" (His haunting slide guitar made that song "Layla") not so much Eric Clapton.....

-guido in Houston

"God Loves Liberty"

Heh I knew them back when they were the Allman Joys, Used to see them on the southern armory circuit. Duane was the big talent but Greg held up vocals very well. Which brings up the whole idea is a motorcycle crash a blues or a rock-n-roll death?

Silly crap aint it.