Would appreciate any advice on good 1911 Government mags and where to pick them up?

Been reading about Chip McCormick, Wilson, Mec-Gar, Metal Form, Tripp Research, Check-Mate etc.

Looked at Cope's, CDNN, Top Gun and a few other places.

Only have the two that came with the Ruger.

Thanks.

Well, Metal Form and Mec-Gar make alot of the "Factory" mags. Have all the ones you have listed. All function in 45acp. have McCormick, Checkmate, and Tripp in 10mm. Tripp has been problematic with short feed issue, yet 3 in 45acp no problem. Dillion Precision carries Wilson and Check-Mate. McCormick have different "grades". Even their cheapest have functioned properly. Have ordered many mags from CDNN when they have their specials. Ruger is a 1911 brand I don't have, yet neighbor has tried most of my different mags in his with no issues he reported back. Mainly shoot ball ammo.

• Like 1
i use check-mates in my commanders...100% reliability. top gun is a good place to get them from, got an email earlier today stating mags were back in stock.

Leaning towards picking up a few check-mates from top gun. There are a couple varieties for a couple buck difference. Any advice?

Also thinking of an additional 8 and 10 round magswith purchase unless anyone knows something about them I haven't read.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer the padded mags, mainly because I use/have mag wells on all except 2 1911's. 10 are ok for range, just don't prefer the long hang out. Most suppliers have added 1 rd count on standard mags via redesigned fallower. Most even sell the retro fallower to update older mags. The screw on pads for McCormick are my personal favorite (base plate is prethreaded), yet always get the pad on the Checkmates. Sportsman's Guide and others sell pads/screw sets for the pretap bases. Enjoy and become proficient.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been happy with SS Kimber's. My LGS had them for around $20 NIB and they each come with a small or large basepad (& screws).

The ACT-MAG that came with my RIA is pretty sweet too.

Have yet to have any issues with either.

Macbeau