I know this has been asked multiple times before, but I cant find it. Sorry, search fu is weak.

Two questions actually. Guys who have modified ak47/74 handguards to fit the S308, where all does material need removed? Sides and bottom? Also, are you guys removing the heat shield to make room or can it be retained somehow? Any pics.

And lastly, any one have a preference of Dinzags bolt-on steel handguard retainer or the DPH that CSS sells that is also steel. Not interested in the aluminum version. About the only difference I could tell is the Dinzag uses 2 set screws vs the DPH that only uses one. Is one better than the other? I suspect they are both pretty close in quality and will serve their purpose well.

I did see in a thread where a guy purchased a Dinzag modified lower handguard and he was having issues with the handguard tilting up due to the absence of the heat shield removed and/or too much material was removed.

Has anyone else experience this?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it happened to me. Dinzag was really cool about helping out and offered to work on a custom solution but the bottom line is for the Saiga .308 is the barrel is very thick and most standard AK handguards don't work. My solution as offered by Dinzag was to fold aluminum foil down into the lower handguard ... I have noticed in my very unscientific tests that this provides a very good heat shield even when the barrel is very hot from rapid firing the handguard is usually barely warm and it eliminated all of the "play" from the front of the handguard tilting upward. He also offered an alternative which is to use an epoxy and mold it into the shape of the space between the handguard and the barrel and then let it harden using a sheet of wax paper between to keep everythiing clean. This may be an option in the future after I have decided on the correct compound that can stand up to long term heating/cooling cycles.

Thanks for the reply. I enzded up going with CSS and their aluminum AR style rail. I felt their system offered the best solution to having a solid mounting point while allowing me to put rails only where needed, lightweight and vented for heat to escape.

I got wood stock set on mine. Romainan gas tube. It need a good bit of filing down where the lever holds the gas tube on. Also the lower handguard needed a lot of material removed, sides bottom then I had to think down the tab that inserts into the reciver.