Helicopter Hog Hunting with the MKA-1919

Nice video, the guns used in this vid are Firebird guns. These ones got I think 22 inch barrels, and our lower conversion. We were told that on one day they killed over 800 hogs with these guns, they have 9 or 10 guns I can't remember exactly. Several other helicopter hunting companies are interested in having us build guns for them due to the success these guys have had with them.

The ones of ours they use are the same standard 922r conversion that is sold by Centerfire, but these were sold long before we started doing the ramp replacement so they still have the polymer feed ramp. I'm not sure what ammo they're using though.

That looks like a job for an M-60! But obviously, those guns are working pretty well for them, too. :D

Yeah, feral hogs are a growing problem in quite a few states, I hear. I did a little digging, and there are some hog-hunting groups in SE Ohio, too. hhmmm...

That looks like a job for an M-60! But obviously, those guns are working pretty well for them, too. biggrin.png

Yeah, feral hogs are a growing problem in quite a few states, I hear. I did a little digging, and there are some hog-hunting groups in SE Ohio, too. hhmmm...

Hmmm indeed. Not many hogs up here by 33 but certainly some a couple counties south. Not many helicopters though.

Thanks for the info Anubis

It would awesome if we harvested these hogs and helped to feed some kids who need help. I know that's not easy, But I hate to see any edible creature put down without purpose.

Anyone on this board want to step up and see if it could be done?

For the most part that is what's being done down here in Texas. But you have to realize there aren't many places or people who can handle processing several hundred hogs in a couple of days. No matter what it's not being done without purpose. Theses hogs are destroying farm land and food and vegetation for other more desirable wildlife and livestock.

It needs to be done and it just happens to be fun.

seems kind of inhumane to me, why not get on the ground and track them, at least then they will have a fighting chance.

shooting anything from a helicopter seems kind of chicken shit to me- JMO

These hogs have a litter of 12 to 18 piglets every 6 months and each one can begin having their first litter within one year of life. This is a true epidemic. You cannot track them down on foot quickly enough to do any good at all. One man fires one shot at a group of ten pigs, hits one and they are gone. You will not get another shot, then you start tracking the next group over thousands of acres. They are destroying crops like crazy and other animals are dying off because they have no food left in these areas. This has proven to be just about the only effective means of getting rid of them, the guide services gets to make some money, orphanages get fed and wildlife is maintained. Some times it's just necessary.

• Like 1
get me on the ground with my .50 cal and I'll take them out at 1000 yrds or more . They wont hear me coming and they will be cleaned and cooked with one shot. wink.png

You can't see them at 1000 yrds when they run into the woods or into a canal, river or bayou, and if you can hit them on the run at about 25mph with your .50 cal your a real man.

get me on the ground with my .50 cal and I'll take them out at 1000 yrds or more . They wont hear me coming and they will be cleaned and cooked with one shot. wink.png

stage1_zps042bb901.jpg

wow thats impresive to be able to shoot a pig at 1000 yds with no optic... boxing.gif

Trying to convince my girlie of my plans for our next romantic vacation

Starts with nutria rat murdering in Lousianna followed by mass killings of Texas hogs.

A few used freezers and we would be off road kill for years.

I think she's almost convened.

A little more work and a butt load of shells and its off it a love filled vacation.

Sorry convinced not convened.

The excitement got the best of me.

stage1_zps042bb901.jpg

wow thats impresive to be able to shoot a pig at 1000 yds with no optic... boxing.gif

well they don't call me ole eagle eye for nothing, I was blessed with a built in sence of trajectory. :)

remember though, at 1000 yrds or more out, 25mph looks like about 5mph. But yeah, I see your point. Now get me perched up on a hill.. different story.

Haha a hill in south Texas? Not much chance of that happening!

I,ve only been to Texas once about 25 years ago, but now I kinda do remember it is as flat as a pancake down there, at least what I saw of it.

It would awesome if we harvested these hogs and helped to feed some kids who need help. I know that's not easy, But I hate to see any edible creature put down without purpose.

Anyone on this board want to step up and see if it could be done?

For the most part that is what's being done down here in Texas. But you have to realize there aren't many places or people who can handle processing several hundred hogs in a couple of days. No matter what it's not being done without purpose. Theses hogs are destroying farm land and food and vegetation for other more desirable wildlife and livestock.

It needs to be done and it just happens to be fun.

Thanks Cajundefense,

We cull deer and geese up north for the same reasons. Glad to hear they are using the kills for food. The video's posted don't show that side of the operation.

Edited by QuickShot

How is the meat from hogs? Does it taste pretty similar to farm-raised pork products, or is it tougher due to their diet and rougher lifestyle? ;)

I might have to give some serious consideration to a Fall hog-hunt here in OH.

How is the meat from hogs? Does it taste pretty similar to farm-raised pork products, or is it tougher due to their diet and rougher lifestyle? wink.png

I might have to give some serious consideration to a Fall hog-hunt here in OH.

It depends a lot on what they eat. Took a young sow a while back in the Sand Hills area of West Texas that I felt still had a little domestic blood in her due to her coloring. Cooking it would clear out the kitchen in no time. Not close to being edible.

Hogs taken in the Texas Gulf Coast area fare a little better (so I've been told) and a local butcher will pay $1.00 per pound for live hogs over 100#.

Excuse me if its already mentioned and I missed it, but along with destroying crops and watering areas, a hog pack will take down young calves. It won't take long to ruin a good ranch.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter