Been having this idea bumping around in my head lately, thought I would ask for opinions. Not getting out to the range as much as I would like to due to some family health issues, and looking around at my collection I feel like I have some decent rifles, but no one rifle that can really do it all. Currently have a Bulgy AK74, a Weiger clone in 7.62x39, a FAL STG58, and of course the converted S12. All are fine shooters.

I know rifles are like tools, different ones for different jobs, but I have been thinking of trading two or three of these in for a SCAR 17. I don't know how many I would have to part with given the current sticker shock, or even if i can find a shop in my area with a SCAR 17 in stock that would do the trade. I know i could part out the ammo, mags, optics, etc to make up any deficit in the cost of the SCAR, but I don't have to get rid of any of my stuff, just keep thinking that SCAR would hit like a hammer at close and intermediate range and still be accurate at distance - sort of a all in one gun.

So, should I just chill and keep the stuff I have, or give up most of it to potentially trade up?

Can you expand on "do it all"?

Lately, I'm thinking .17HMR is a great choice. A well placed shot can be devastating and it's got a lot of advantages. Of course, talking about a SCAR 17, you may be going in a totally different direction. wink.png

Edited by Maxwelhse

Thats a hard one Panzer. As much as I love the FAL platform, I feel the the SCAR will outperform it. Id find out what the shop will give you first and go from there.

Id love to have on as well, but I wont trade 4 good working guns for one. Been there and done that in the past and its left me with remorse ever since.

• Like 4

I'd say to slowly save the money so you can buy it outright -- of course that assumes that bans don't occur and zombies fail to walk...

On a side note, just my opinion but I can't get over how "plasticky" the stock feels == built direct by mattel for SCAR...

From personal experience, the 308 ammo price is going through the roof. I'm left with a tricked out PTR-MSG-91, can't do a damn thing with it now and I've got over $3K into it. The green battle packs were the first thing to go, then the primers, then the bullets. Now, it's hard as fuck to find anything and I haven't shot it in over a year.

Therefore, my opinion is that you should get a VEPR54R. I'm looking to trade my PTR for a VEPR54R and a decent handgun locally but haven't really gone beyond asking friends. I have enough crates of 54R to make a fort in my living room (true story, ask my wife) so that's my plan. Your mileage may vary.

starting 2 months ago i developed a desire for a scar 17. i really want one. but i will not trade or sell any of my current firearms to achieve this goal. if you dont shoot the rifles you want to trade, then you could sell one or two of them, and then save up for the difference you would need to buy the scar.

• Like 1

I think you will regret the trade someday.

Doesn't your FAL fill that slot now?

My CETME .308 feels like it weighs a ton after getting into AKs.

I think your obsessing. If you really want it, save for it.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

I don't think right now is the time to change directions and try much of anything new. Availability of ammo, magazines, and parts is a crap shoot. I also agree with conscript. If you want a do-it-all rifle, think seriously about the Vepr 54r. For the money of the Scar 17 alone, you could top a Vepr 54r with some nice optics and have basically a lifetime of ammo with surplus tins. Magazines are still the weak link, but I expect quality steel versions to pop up sometime this year from Csspecs.

You are just depressed!

Move on to somthing else for awhile and when health ,ammo and guns get back where they used to be, then re-think what you want to do.

I pray that your health will improve. I had my leg damaged almost runned my career.After surgery and 6 months off of the leg I could walk and work

A lot of things went through my head as well.

You are just depressed!

Move on to somthing else for awhile and when health ,ammo and guns get back where they used to be, then re-think what you want to do.

I pray that your health will improve. I had my leg damaged almost runned my career.After surgery and 6 months off of the leg I could walk and work

A lot of things went through my head as well.

Jerry thanks for the well wishes. I'm ok, it's my elderly mother having the problems, She lives with me, and has been hospitalized 4 times since Dec. 23. First a serious abdominal infection, then fluid buildup on the lungs, then diagnosed with Lymphomic cancer that was causing the fluid to buildup, then two TIA's, and last time was for a mild stroke.

She has had no neurological damage from the strokes thank God, but after starting her chemo being bedridden for a week was the last thing she needed. She cant stand without help, and I have to assist her as she makes her way through the house with a walker. Physical therapy was working with her to rebuild her strength, but that is on hold now since a blood clot was found in her leg today by the docs.

I"m currently single, and my brother lives about 2 hours away, so 95% of the care giving has fallen on me. Been a tough road, but she is a tough little lady, so I'm trying my best to imitate her!

• Like 1

I happened to go into a lgs today at lunch and there on the wall was a SCAR 17. I didn't ask if it was new or used but the price was 3300 which is damn good for today.

I find it an interesting rifle but I'm not tempted by it. An M1A might tempt me. And I could put nice glass on it too for that price.

Mags imo, are the weakest link for the scar. I still feel the scar is an improvement for the.308 battle rifles. I do feel that they are over priced to an extent, but nowadays, 3k isn't too bad for a normally 2500+ weapon.

As far as the mags go, the Thermold SCAR 17 mags are getting decent reviews, though there is some question about durability. Also a aluminum lower that takes .308 Pmags is being made by a couple of different companies, though it looks like they are hard to find...

Good luck with you're family! Have been there just recently having both parents in the hospital at the same time, and the rest of the family unavailable. It sucks!

About the only weapon that can "do it all" is a nuke, and that will be all!

• Like 1

I'm getting depressed about even finding stuff for the S-12 now. If you have the burden of taking care of a family member - and maybe thinking a new toy will lift you out of the slumps? Well, this might not be a time to make that move. Stuff is hard to find. Like others said, I would save and wait. 4 guns to 1 doesn't sound like a very good trade to me at all. That being said, if you really, REALLY want it, it's your choice. Good luck.

• Like 1