Sign in to follow this  
DrDyno

Do Muzzle Brakes and/or Flash Suppressors Reduce Accuracy?

Hi All,

I have been contemplating threading the barrel on my 7.62 for a Muzzle Brake. However, in an AR forum I frequent, several members have tested accuracy with an array of barrel accessories. To a man, they report that the addition of any front-end accessory hinders accuracy. Many of them have removed the stock A2 brake in favor of a simple thread protector.

What say you?

• Like 1

If it altered accuracy, it would be by an very insignificant amount. Something you might notice in a sub-MOA bolt action or high end AR15 at 500+... but not in any regular semi-auto. Muzzle brakes, flash hider, etc., actually do a really good job of protecting the muzzle crown of a rifle, something that will significantly reduce the accuracy of any rifle if damaged.

Adding a muzzle device will change your point of impact, however, usually by an inch or two @ 100m. Adding one will require you to sight back in to the new POI.

From my experience, AR forums are good for 2 things: buying used parts and losing realistic perspectives.

There are a few that change the harmonics of a barrel but not enough to worry about with a general use gun. Ones that have "forks" or "ring" when tapped with something hard sometimes do cause accuracy issues but with the proper handload you can overcome it. Personally I would not worry about it, especially if you are shooting a factory gun and factory ammo.

Dolomite

I have a Romanian AKM that came with an original Soviet slant muzzle brake fitted which i changed for an AK-74 style muzzle brake (Chinese copy) and noticed no difference in accuracy.I have since changed back to the Soviet brake and again have noticed no difference, only changed it back because i wanted the Soviet AKM look to the rifle (has got Soviet laminated furniture,bakelite pg,Soviet Afghan era sling, the correct Soviet AKM 1000m rear sight leaf and Izzy Bakelite mags )

1 billion screaming chinamen cant be wrong!

a simple Soviet slant brake looks soooo much better wink.png

breid, i do like your sig pic! :)

Edited by UKAK

Those Russian women are just trying to build a bridge to the west. One pair of sexy legs at a time!

They can pop a squat on my face anytime. wink.png

• Like 2

I think maybe you meant to post this in the AR forum...

Most likely thing to happen, if anything, is a POI shift between different muzzle devices, or none at all.

I agree that one of the best functions of a muzzle device, which is not often considered, is the crown protection. If you carry your rifle anywhere at all, setting it down unprotected on the ground, this is a good thing.

On the flip side of that, I still shoot my dad's heavily-used 1970s BSA .270 rifle with a very dull crown, and the thing will shot the wings off of a fly. Thing has been dropped and rolled down the sides of rocky mountains hunting goats, shows no signs of giving a shit. YMMV

I'm not going to give you an opinion, but I will share my experience. Back in the "ban" days, I made a pile of AR uppers with permamently affixed brakes. These uppers all had .936" Stainless Pac-Nor bull barrels on them with the muzzle threaded. The brake was installed, then a V-groove was machined at the joint, and they were welded 360 degrees and blended out.

The two most serious problems with using this process are barrel warpage and bore choking. I am not going to share my technique(s) to pull this off, since Tromix "stuff" seems to be ripped off with wreckless abandon these days. Sharing Tromix process details are over.

Anyway, I built numerous 17 Remington uppers this way, and they all shot 1/2 MOA. That's five into a half inch at a hundred. Many groups were down around a quarter inch.

Tony Rumore

Tromix