I'm in search for a new press. Are these Harbor Freight, Northern Tool shop presses worth a damn? As I understand, the A frame press are more precise but, working distance is not as much as the cheaper H Frames. Most reviews are mixed and most are using for unrelated purposes. I guess my real question is... what have y'all found to be a good, inexpensive press? Also, will the 12 ton be suffice, or should I be looking for a 15 to 20 ton? Thanks for any input...Mike

I'm not an AK builder, but I've used the 20 ton HF press A LOT... Nothing at all wrong with it. I even know some farmers that beefed up the frames and put bigger jacks in them. I have never heard of the plates exploding before. Each one must weigh close to 20lbs and are about 1.5" thick!!

I'm not a china lover, nor a HF believer in many regards, but their press is just fine.

Well that's good to know. Reviews on website were mixed. The 20 ton is on sale for $149. Hell of a price but wanted to know from forum builders who have used and know what I am expecting this press to do. Really did not want to spend a whole lot considering my bank account dwindling due to my AK addiction. Probably will be spending a couple hundred at AK Builder just on press tools. Anyway, Thanks guys for the info. Will go pick it up in the morning.

on the AK builders website I see there seem to be several types of 80% lowers, but I do not see an 80% lower, or just the flat plate, for a saiga 7.62x39. I do not know all the diferences between the various types, MAK90, saiga, bulgarian, hungarian, polish and so on. I would like to buy parts kit for a 7.62x39 and finish the lower myself and I believe I would like to make a Saiga or Russian AK. Do I have that option? From what I have seen so far I would have to buy the kit for a chines, romanian or other. And, what is the difference between the 1mm and 1.5 mm, besides 0.5mm? Is there a spreadsheet that lays out all the part numbers for each AK version?