Help needed for a 1st time conversion. 308 Super

I'm a complete noob on the topic. I have 20+ round mags for both rifles(VEPR and Saiga 308's) so I have to do a conversion to legally use them, correct? Show me the way...

It's a Super so I imagine it has the slant cut receiver. What is the best adapter that doesn't require altering the tang or rifle itself? I'll need help with everything I need for the conversion, where to get the parts, and directions on what to do. I also have a .308 Saiga to convert, so please chime in on that as well. Many thanks for any good advice.

the saiga 308 is a pretty straight forward conversion. you can find tons of info on this site just use the search. as for the super 308. i couldnt tell ya. google's your friend lol. and if your getting rid of the wooden stock for the super vepr id like to buy it off of ya. PM me if your intrested in selling it

I'd prefer to use the advice here vs Google to make sure it's current and I follow the best route. Don't know if I'll sell the wood or not. I haven't seen it in person yet, but looking forward to it. I love wood rifles, but HAVING to change it out do to ridiculous regulations and wanting something that's unaffected by weather I will be changing it. How much is the furniture worth?

Couple things for your consideration.

The super vepr is a step cut receiver, so slant cut parts may not fit.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139264

If your just going for parts count. The trigger parts will likely be less annoying.

I didn't know that. Big help, thanks! I nearly ordered hundreds worth of stuff I couldn't use. All I need to do is change the trigger and that's it? I have three of your mags on order btw.

if i had to guess id say $5.....lol

Oh, ok. Maybe if you pay the shipping. eyes_droped.gif

Edited by geneticgamer

just don't try ordering an RSA adjustable trigger through Black Horse Arsenal to save 5$, I've only been waiting for 4 months for a part that is supposed to dropship directly from RSA according to the few people that made a half-a**ed attempt to return my messages. (if they are a sponsor I apologize but its still the truth.)

• Like 1

Genetic, it just means the guys on the machine are not as well trained as they should be. (tool marks) It takes time to develop that skill. A lot of times companies don't always want to pay for such skilled labor.

I refaced the thread protector after I removed it from my .308 VEPR so I could reuse it. I'm a noob what is but I refaced it and made the Russian that did the facing on the muzzle end look like a monkey. These guys are just trying to build them as inexpensively as they can. That savings is passed on to you. If they had more strict QA and QC the price would go up but you'd have one hell of a rifle right out of the box.

But you also have to know your market. AK guys like me will sacrifice some QC and take some toolmarks as long as the product is accurate reliable and of decent price.

I am too, I really am. However I know the essence of the AK. Simple, cost effective, looks cheap, can build one from nothing really but the most beautiful part of it is always, good accuracy (Did not say great.) and going bang the first time, everytime. It looks like a pos when you pick up a really well worn one. But when you dump that sand,mud, muck in there and pull the trigger, it'll make you smile. lol Makes me smile knowing it'll do it too.

• 1 month later...

Added a straight cut .308 to my small collection. Going to convert this one. The buttstock is completely unfinished, so it's needed as well as wanted. Definitely a Houge rubber pistol grip. I'm thinking a Tapco fixed buttstock or AK T6 adjustable, but I'm open to suggestion. Any forend suggestions? Saw an AIM Sports AK47 universal quad rail on Amazon, but don't know if it'll work? I don't think it will on a 16" .308 with integrated sights.

I'm not sure about the quad rail but I would try the K-Var fixed stock, it'll fit.

I used a foregrip from Ronin's Grips also. Then a Tapco copy of the AK grip as well. More US parts than I need but, the price was right so I went with it.

gallery_33361_710_1303573.jpg

The stock is a Warsaw length stock. Because of the angle I took the pic at I think some people wonder if it's the NATO length stock, but it's not.

Edited by ShadowFire

Nice. Mine came today and Promags won't even fit in it without a fight. All they did was scratch the shit out of the mag release. Do you like your mags? Any suggestions for a muzzle device on a 16.5"? Don't know if there's anything to help with both flash and rise?

Edited by geneticgamer

It's gonna eventually get scratched anyway. A lot of sliding action on the mag release, it's the way it works. What you can do is take a file and slowly file down the tab in the right places (Either the angled spot under the top of the tab, or the flat spot where the angled spot meets the top horizontal spot of the tab.) until you get good contact. After that, I like to polish the tab, to give it a natural smooth gliding action. Try 800 or 1000 grit automotive sandpaper, should smooth it right out once it fits.

I like my mag. Csspecs made them. (Look at his post for the link to his site.). They cost more, but you get what you pay for. He even tells you how to modify them if they don't fit the rifle right away. Great mags and imo, the bluing on his mags seems to allow for easy loading and easy feeding during operation.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I need a foregrip that has a bottom rail for a forward grip. Also lost on finding a muzzle device to dampen recoil.

You should check out Primary Weapons System's FSC30. It is arguably the best MBC or as they list it a FSC (Flash Suppressing Compensator) and it helps reduce muzzle flash a great deal without being classified as a flash hider (ATF certified). They come standard on the SCAR and PWS is an extremely quality company. It will run you $100, but you get what you pay for. For quick follow up shots and quick target acquisition I haven't found anything that works better.

I am planning on chopping and perm attaching this onto my Vepr 308 down to 16.1" and running an eotech as a MBR. Just remember you are going to need to find a thread adapter or have your barrel re threaded for the standard 5/8x24.

as for Hanguards or rail systems on the 308 02 model it gets a little tougher as the gastube is unique to the 02 Integrated Sight model so it is a no go for Ultimak, Texas Weapons Systems, Damage Industries and basically anything else I love :( Midewest has a relatively inexpensive option for their Vepr rail that will work. BUT if you just want to go the hand guard route, which is becoming a lot more appealing to me Ronin's Hangguard seems to be the favorite and I have heard nothing but good things about them. You could attach a rail section to the bottom of that and run a variety of foregrips. Other than that CSS has some slotted and buckshot patterned tri-rails that would work and SGM has a quad coming out but the sight picture might be interrupted with the top rail section on. So, the SGM tri rail might be your best most cost effective bet and one I have beend considering as well.

Edited by Mountain Man
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I would suggest you take it out and shot with the irons before you start adding weight to it. you will be surprised at how well they can shoot that way. you might save yourself some money and keep it light and simple. all that stuff makes it nose heavy and cumbersome to swing into action. g2 trigger easiest way to go (nice trigger once you get used to it) dinzag had them already modified for vepr if you don't want to it yourself.

Edited by leadslinger
  • 3 months later...

I would suggest you take it out and shot with the irons before you start adding weight to it.  you will be surprised at how well they can shoot that way.  you might save yourself some money and keep it light and simple. all that stuff makes it nose heavy and cumbersome to swing into action.  g2 trigger easiest way to go (nice trigger once you get used to it) dinzag had them already modified for vepr if you don't want to it yourself.

I have to say it is pretty nice stock. I haven't shot my .308 and 7.62x39 M70 with the slant brake side by side, but I don't really notice much difference between the two as far as staying on target goes. Kick doesn't bother me as long as I can stay on target well.