Are there any concerns with making a notch for safety selector stop?

Compared to the Saiga rifles, the primary dust cover on the shotgun receivers have a longer notch on side with the charging handle to allow for clearance of the ejected shells. The problem that I have seen with this is that the safety selector, when pushed upward to the "Safe" position, frequently travels well beyond the top of the receiver, only stopping after it begins to set underneath the dust cover. This can make it rather awkward and difficult to move the safety into the "Fire" position, even with a modified safety selector (like the Krebs Mark VI-S).

post-6540-0-45598000-1363380120_thumb.jpg

I am thinking that possibly adding a safety selector-stop notch at the "Safe" position would help to prevent this over-travel and reduce the difficulty in transitioning back to the "Fire" position, approximately in the location shown here:

post-6540-0-10678900-1363380523_thumb.jpg

I don't see any issue with the selector position at this notch location that would cause problems with keeping the fire control mechanism locked, and it appears that the selector position is still sufficiently in-line to prevent charging the bolt. Has anyone tried this before, and/or are there any potential problems that I am overlooking with this seemingly innocuous modification?

You can do it and it will work but your ejection port won't be sealed against dust and dirt. A better and easier option is to put a beveled spot in the top edge of receiver where the bump on the selector pops over the edge. Then Take a little bit of the spring action out of the selector by putting a very slight outward bend on it. You have to do this carefully though so it stays straight, or it will start scratching the receiver in the middle part if it bellies out there.

You can do it and it will work but your ejection port won't be sealed against dust and dirt. A better and easier option is to put a beveled spot in the top edge of receiver where the bump on the selector pops over the edge. Then Take a little bit of the spring action out of the selector by putting a very slight outward bend on it. You have to do this carefully though so it stays straight, or it will start scratching the receiver in the middle part if it bellies out there.

+1 I have done this as well. Takes some tuning, but works great!

BTW, isn't there some part of the factory disconnect that takes care of this over-travel? Can it be emulated without welding?

That sounds like a good idea; I think the small bevel alone will make a pretty significant reduction in that "spring action" out of the selector travel once it reaches the top of the receiver. On back end of the "head" of the selector there is a slight protrusion that makes secondary contact with the receiver that provide the tension contact against the receiver once the primary dimple passes the edge of the receiver. This secondary contact has a pretty pronounced edge on it, that catches above the upper edge of the receiver once the selector begins to over-travels; this looks like it adds another "spring action" to the selector movement, causing it to over-travel further, and is also the culprit in the difficulty of returning the selector to the "Fire" position.

So I think by giving a very slight outward bend to the "head" of the selector, and maybe even very slightly grinding and polishing the edge of the protrusion at the secondary contact (to give it a smoother sloped edge rather than the "hard" edge) would significantly relieve the transition headaches that I am currently having.

post-6540-0-07928500-1363440281_thumb.jpg

Nephilim7, I don't recall off-hand there being anything on the factory disconnect that acted as an over-travel stop for the selector; but I'll take a look at it and see if I can find something on that front.

The factory FCG does indeed have a 'stop' that prevents over travel by the safety lever. It hits the stop after engaging the rear trigger legs and works great. That's why you don't normally hear of this problem until after swapping out trigger groups.

As I recollect, some have modified the aftermarket trigger group to accept the factory stop with good results.