Confirmed... Optic Rail Not Useless after all! <edit>

It's only there to try and help that piece of crap, half ass LRBHO design that still only half works. Lift your dust cover, take out your recoil spring, and run your bolt & carrier back and forth on the rails.... with an empty mag inserted. The bolt glides right over the top of the BHO stop. It won't even touch it unless you press down on the carrier while pushing it forward.

Very true, this is the second reason why this large rivets.

• Like 2
My Vepr's LRBHO was hardly ever working at all until I put some more downward bend in the part that contacts the follower.

My VEPR's LRBHO works 100% of the time with Russian magazines. In my experience so far, It has worked zero times with SGM's - Do I need to do something to the SGM's to prevent the follower from sticking?

My LRBHO works all the time now that I keep my finger out of the way of the release by the trigger.

Cobra, this is an interesting thread. Thats fucked up about your gun not working with Chinese optics. Glad the Russian optics fixed the problem. You have a racist shotgun. laugh.png

And for what its worth, Alex has told me in the past that the large rivet is needed to mainy help keep the carrier from operating in a sloppy manner, to help prevent breakage. I cant really say about the BHO, as I just took my RSA out and pulled the carrier back with the charging handle and mine wont let it go forward and is still working with an empty SGM mag inserted.

For the rivet, I dont see how it would help with guiding the piston back into the hole in the puc, as the hole is a bit larger than the head of the piston, and the piston is also skinny, gets fat, then gets skinny again. If anything the fat part rides in the tube, and that keeps it centered.

Edited by Captain Hero
  • Like 1

The entire purpose and design of the AK platform is to expand and contract (that is why it uses rivets instead of screws in the receiver), allowing and enduring sloppy operations in harsh conditions. Will the JTE shotgun performance guide rod fix this problem? Here's the description of it from CSS:

CSS - JTE shotgun performance guide rod:

Inconsistencies of the Saiga Guide Rod/Recoil Assembly are a problem due to how it flexes and can jam your gun and not allow it to cycle easily.
The factory recoil assembly can be the reason for (FTE)Failure to Eject problems.
JT Engineering Performance guide rod assembly will greatly smooth out the cycling of you Saiga or Vepr Shotgun.
This includes 1 replacement rod constructed of 300 grade stainless and 1 slider made of Delrin.
It will retrofit into the existing recoil system by simply removing the the factory pin that holds the rod in place and inserting the new performance rod and replace the factory pin.
You will still use you existing springs and dust shield.

I think you misunderstood me Dres. I know exactly what your saying, but what Im saying, is that Molot feels the need for a taller rivet for a reason. And from what PZ has told me, it serves more than just one purpose. Im trying to dig up the old info to repost here cuz it was good shit.

ETA: NM. I misread your post.

Edited by Captain Hero

The entire purpose and design of the AK platform is to expand and contract (that is why it uses rivets instead of screws in the receiver), allowing and enduring sloppy operations in harsh conditions. Will the JTE shotgun performance guide rod fix this problem? Here's the description of it from CSS:

CSS - JTE shotgun performance guide rod:

Inconsistencies of the Saiga Guide Rod/Recoil Assembly are a problem due to how it flexes and can jam your gun and not allow it to cycle easily.

The factory recoil assembly can be the reason for (FTE)Failure to Eject problems.

JT Engineering Performance guide rod assembly will greatly smooth out the cycling of you Saiga or Vepr Shotgun.

This includes 1 replacement rod constructed of 300 grade stainless and 1 slider made of Delrin.

It will retrofit into the existing recoil system by simply removing the the factory pin that holds the rod in place and inserting the new performance rod and replace the factory pin.

You will still use you existing springs and dust shield.

I think the only way to prove this theory correct is to install the performance guide rod, mount and position an optic above or in front of the ejection port, and go town on testing to see if the FTE's still occur. I posted a question to JT Engineering about this as well. Also, a possible fresh start will be to lay down a fresh layer of paint the top of the carrier to see if it is stilling hitting the first top rivet.

• 4 weeks later...

When I first set up optics on my Vepr 12, I had an Aimpoint T1 mounted on the forward section of the rail, and mounted a Russian PU behind it. My thought was to be able to co-witness the two, and use the PU as a magnifier of sorts (or as a stand alone optic) when needed. Pappazorro commented on how there were problems with this setup. He did not mention creating ejection problems, but said there were problems with the optics being battered by ejecting hulls when mounted forward of the ejection port. I wonder if some of the stress placed on the optics were from the condition you are having with the large rivet contacting the carrier - and not from the empties making contact. I never experienced any problems with ejection or empties hitting anything while shooting both Federal 3 dram 7 1/2 bulk pack, or Winchester 2 3/4" 1oz slugs, but did take his advice and move the T1 back on the rail. Both the T1 and the PU are on QD mounts, so it is easy to swap them out.