Well, I think its time to give in, and build some ARs...

Let me start by saying, I am not nessesarily "Panic Buying", my credit cards are not maxed out, still making the payments on my house, but I am... shall we say.... Adjusting my priorities. Instead of buying lift kits for the Jeep, or paying to put strippers through college, or purchasing a second home, I have decided to expand my sellection of deffensive weaponry.

In this state FFL costs are rather high, and you then have to pay sales tax of 10% on the entire amount, shipping, purchase price, and FFL fee. This makes buying a complete gun online kind of prohibiting. I understand that AR Lower Recievers are the only part of the weapon that must be recieved by an FFL, and are not horrifically expensive. This makes step one getting one to three lower recievers.

I dont know what I am looking at or for in a lower reciever. What should I avoid? Should I get a complete one, or a stripped one? Any other thoughts on the matter of picking a decent lower receiver that doesnt break the bank?

Get a stripped one. They are easy to assemble. If you find a good deal on a complete lower get it. There are many nice, in spec, lowers, BCM, RRA (which I used), Spikes, Mega, PSA, etc. Not a big deal, but I would also recommend a mil spec buffer tube over commercial. If you want the best tactical/combat trigger put in a Geissele SSA.

Edited by RedChallenger
  • Like 3

AR jammamatic!

Saiga Slamamatic! I will not shoot a AR for my protection. This is why I have a .223 Saiga ,same ammo 100% relieability always.

Is it just because you have always wanted to build a clock? The sun dial was not good enough? ha ha! Yes I know it is simple and primitive but you can leave it out in the rain and it will still work.

But good luck on that thing!

• Like 1

I'd say read the reviews if you can and try and get a brand name lower. I've heard people say the lower doesn't matter which it true to a point, but if it's a piece of crap where your parts don't fit, it's a problem. I saw people complaining about this on some of the lowers Buds was selling recently. And calling it "mil spec" doesn't make it true.

AR jammamatic!

Saiga Slamamatic! I will not shoot a AR for my protection. This is why I have a .223 Saiga ,same ammo 100% relieability always.

Is it just because you have always wanted to build a clock? The sun dial was not good enough? ha ha! Yes I know it is simple and primitive but you can leave it out in the rain and it will still work.

I've yet to build an AR but probably will at some point. That's mainly because Saiga doesn't offer a model chambered in my preferred caliber, which is 6.5 Grendel. Actually, I have seen a picture of one but believe it was only for the European market. Strange.

As to ARs jamming, I think that is overstated, much like claiming AKs are too inaccurate to be viable weapons. My son has thousands of rounds through his RRA AR with nary a jam and he didn't clean/lube it after each mag change either. The platform has earned my respect.

• Like 3
BCM, RRA (which I used), Spikes, Mega, PSA, etc.

Yeah I'll add some to that list (I hold no brand bias, My built AR lower is a mutt, different parts from different companies.

Double Star, CMMG (The lower my mutt is built on), Nodak Spud and many others. Most aluminum alloy 7075 lowers are quality and 7075 alloy is kind of the standard alloy used for manufacturers to build lowers.

• Like 1

After you get the lower (good luck!), I found a lot of AR parts on Amazon, of all places! I only needed to build the lower, I already had the upper in 6.8 SPC. The only other thing I need are bolt carriers. wink.png

(And ammo!)

Enjoy that 6.5! I've heard good things about it. I already had the 6.8 at that point, but I think they both have their strengths. smile.png

Edited by Ronin38
  • Like 1

I have had great success with PSA lowers, Vltor uppers, and Bravo BCG....finish it out with a good quality barrel, YHM for example, and free float it. I like using the LPGB on 16" barrel with a Troy 13" Bravo rail....Drop a Geissele SSA FCG in it and tell me if it jams....

I think most of the time people have problems with ARs is when they use parts that are or poor quality and they are not really mil spec.

+1 Mil spec buffer tubes....

Edited by sccritterkiller

My lower is from Surplus Arms and Ammo in Lakewood, WA. I picked it up at the gun show two years ago for $65(economy model with a good finish. Do have "railroad tracks" from the charging handle. The higher models are done with Durakote or powdercoat.) Their site is down, but the lower was top-notch quality and building it took a total of 15-20 minutes. They do have a phone number you can call, and their staff is very knowledgeable about what they sell. When I'm in Seattle to visit the wife's family, they are on my "must stop" list every trip.

As far as the AR being a jamomatic, my PSA upper has yet to jam on steel(both lacquer and poly) or brass. Most of the jam prone models don't have M4 feed ramps or were using Promags.

Edited by Lone Eagle

If you want to save some money, try and wait for the AR kits to come back in stock. They have the complete upper plus a lower parts kit and stock assembly. Everything you need minus the stripped lower. Complete kits will run 500 and up depending on brand. Del Ton makes a decent kit, and could be had for around 500 pre panic. Now they are sold out everywhere.

Like others mentioned, get a lower from a company you have actually heard of. Get a good BCG and barrel. The rest is pretty standard stuff.

I'm sure that ARs have gotten better, a good one is made in my home town of St.Cloud MN . That being said, when they get dirty and need lube they lack .

However I was turned on to frog lube from this forum which may change my opinion here. As I have only treated two of my pistols and still have the rifles to do I will keep an open mind.

That being said ,Cheap Lower's will ruin your day and your gun.

I am picky about gun's being dependable. You need to have complete confidence in their ability to go bag the first time every time.

AR jammamatic!

I've yet to build an AR but probably will at some point. That's mainly because Saiga doesn't offer a model chambered in my preferred caliber, which is 6.5 Grendel. Actually, I have seen a picture of one but believe it was only for the European market. Strange.

As to ARs jamming, I think that is overstated, much like claiming AKs are too inaccurate to be viable weapons. My son has thousands of rounds through his RRA AR with nary a jam and he didn't clean/lube it after each mag change either. The platform has earned my respect.

I would not be interested in an AR if I didnt already own a S12 that is 100% reliable, and an AK that is 100% reliable, and my revolver. I feel I have this side of 100 yards handled, and my Sniper rifle arrives at the end of the month, which should do the shots past 400 yards. I am lacking some hard hitting power in the 100-400 yard range. This is why I want a 308 chambered AR (yes, I know, needs a different lower) and an AR 15.

That said, I have been resisting buying an AR based on the jamm-o-matic M16s I used in the army. Some of the ARs I have used since have been really impressive...

Still, weapon of choice is an AK.

Yeah I'll add some to that list (I hold no brand bias, My built AR lower is a mutt, different parts from different companies.

Double Star, CMMG (The lower my mutt is built on), Nodak Spud and many others. Most aluminum alloy 7075 lowers are quality and 7075 alloy is kind of the standard alloy used for manufacturers to build lowers.

CMMG is one I am really looking into, my local gun shop had a few of these complete weapons. Any specific opinions on these guns?

I also love the Nodak my AK is build on. It seems like a really well built pieces of steel.

Not horrifically expensive? Last year you could get the lowers listed above for $50. Now they are $250-$500.The only lower almost worth buying are the New Frontier Armory lower+parts kit (no stock) for $80, but lots of people dont like polymer lowers.
Polymer lowers.... That sounds kinda interesting. After seeing how solid my Md20 drum is I think I might have to check that out! Sounds lightweight and affordable...

My lower is from Surplus Arms and Ammo in Lakewood, WA. I picked it up at the gun show two years ago for $65(economy model with a good finish. Do have "railroad tracks" from the charging handle. The higher models are done with Durakote or powdercoat.) Their site is down, but the lower was top-notch quality and building it took a total of 15-20 minutes. They do have a phone number you can call, and their staff is very knowledgeable about what they sell. When I'm in Seattle to visit the wife's family, they are on my "must stop" list every trip.

As far as the AR being a jamomatic, my PSA upper has yet to jam on steel(both lacquer and poly) or brass. Most of the jam prone models don't have M4 feed ramps or were using Promags.

I will have to check them out, Im only about 15 mins away from Surplus Ammo. Thanks! Edited by TheJoe90

AR jammamatic!

I would not be interested in an AR if I didnt already own a S12 that is 100% reliable, and an AK that is 100% reliable, and my revolver. I feel I have this side of 100 yards handled, and my Sniper rifle arrives at the end of the month, which should do the shots past 400 yards. I am lacking some hard hitting power in the 100-400 yard range. This is why I want a 308 chambered AR (yes, I know, needs a different lower) and an AR 15.

That said, I have been resisting buying an AR based on the jamm-o-matic M16s I used in the army. Some of the ARs I have used since have been really impressive...

Still, weapon of choice is an AK.

CMMG is one I am really looking into, my local gun shop had a few of these complete weapons. Any specific opinions on these guns?

I also love the Nodak my AK is build on. It seems like a really well built pieces of steel.

Not horrifically expensive? Last year you could get the lowers listed above for $50. Now they are $250-$500.The only lower almost worth buying are the New Frontier Armory lower+parts kit (no stock) for $80, but lots of people dont like polymer lowers.

Polymer lowers.... That sounds kinda interesting. After seeing how solid my Md20 drum is I think I might have to check that out! Sounds lightweight and affordable...

I will have to check them out, Im only about 15 mins away from Surplus Ammo. Thanks!

I have a Plum Crazy now Frontier Arms lower.. Myself and a buddy at work both got one when they were about $130 out the door (2-3 yrs ago) for a complete lower, including buffer tube assembly. We have shot the crap out of them with no issues. We did put in steel LPK's as the original polymer hammers have been known to break. I gave mine to my sister and she loves it, it's still running strong. They are very lightweight lowers. Would I take it into battle? No. But I now feel confident enough for it to be used for HD.

I dont know what I am looking at or for in a lower reciever. What should I avoid? Should I get a complete one, or a stripped one? Any other thoughts on the matter of picking a decent lower receiver that doesnt break the bank?

Palmetto State Armory has some pretty good prices on parts- from lowers to assembled uppers. As of recently, they had stripped uppers for around $150 or so and complete uppers (sans BCG) for $399.

I've assembled ARs from PSA, CMMG, BCM, and DoubleStar parts and I like PSA the best. FWIW- their uppers are made from "white label" FN parts and sold with PSA's logo. I guess you could call them a "generic". haha.gif

• Like 1

I guess I put 2+2 together when I shot my first AK an found out how simple life could be. I love to work on guns but the KISS method works for me on the AK platform out to 200 yards . Past that it is a whole diffrent ball game.

Edited by jerry52

I think you need to order you kits 1st.

The wait time on them is awful. I ordered 3 kits in mid Dec.

The market will be full of lowers again in a few months and

you should be able to pick and choose at better prices.

I got my lowers in Dec. also for $115.00 each.

Take your time and don't panic or you will spend way too much.

I was on that same basic thought as well... Then I started really thinking about feeding something in .308 and the initial buy-in of an AR-10 in this market. Then I came to grips with my serious intended use and capability, realizing that on a bench (most of my intended shooting with it) I might get out to 400 yards, and in reality if I was under stress I'd be lucky at anything over 200.

That's when I decided to focus on a VEPR x54R... Dirt cheap steel core ammo is plentiful, still have plenty of guts to reach out there, the gun is about 1/2 the cost, and it's basically just a big AK. Plus it's bolt action cousin can be had for about $100.

I still want to get into ARs, but in this market and that caliber if just stopped making sense. It also didn't help that I wanted an Armalite and then they decided to piss me off. wink.png

Good luck... I'd love to hear about what you end up doing since I am still kicking around the idea.

Edited by Maxwelhse