Mako RPK quad rail on VEPR, has anyone actually seen it?

I was considering getting one for my VEPR since the Chaos will not be out till late summer or better, and this seems the only option that people say is available. Problem is I can not seem to find a single picture of one installed or find anyone with experience of one being installed.

Before spending $209 for it I wanted to make sure it would mount without issue, as well as ask how the top mounts. On a standard gas tube it just mounts over it, but the VEPR 12 gas tube is bigger and I do not want to buy it then have to send it for milling or it end up being useless.

Any personal experience either seeing it or using it would be great. Pictures would be even more awesome.

Thanks

Thank you all, but now I have another question. The gas tube on the VEPR's in the pictures all have a fluted AK style gas tube and not the plastic one mine has. Any idea if the top rail will still fit over it.

Thank you guys for all the help.

Your GOOGLE FU is powerful because I couldnt find any of those pictures.

Ummmm.. I'm so confused I think my head almost exploded. If your gas tube was plastic it would melt when you shot it. I don't know of any plastic gas tubes. I think you are getting confused with your top forend grip, which is plastic. You spin it off with some gloves and a lot of cursing and underneath is a steel star shaped tube like in the pics above. Then new rail goes in place of old plastic forend top cover.

Sorry muffman, i did mean the plastic cover. My only experience with the AK platform came with a Saiga 7.62 and a S-12 and those are worlds differen than a VEPR. Thanks for clarifying on how to remove the star shaped tube from the plastic housing. I think i will go with this rail and see how she works now that i have a some what better understanding.

I want an actual 47/74 rifle but am ignorant to the different versions and it seems wrong to pay $1000 for an arsenal version, although i am tempted. If you know of anywhere that has any type of guide to them I would be super greatful. I really want an underfolder as I think they are the best looking of the lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Did one already – not bad, but needs a few mods. Here goes…

First off bottom rail needs to be shortened to clear the front of the mag-well guide. Hack saw the bottom rail in the middle of rail bay No. 16. Bevel the cut end with a file to a contour you like, sand smooth, and paint black.

Next mod is again to the bottom unit but this time if you look inside the rails that accept the top unit, you will see two pairs of ½ moon cutouts – a pair in front on each left and right rail, and a pair in back, same config. The ½ moon cut outs allow the rim of the gas tube to recess into the rails. The front ones are fine and line up with the steel lip of the gas tube that normally retains the polymer upper HG. The rear ½ moon cuts need to be extended 3/16 of an inch to the rear to allow the back lip of the gas tube to seat. Just use a dremel and a diamond bit to extend the ½ moon cuts back a bit. No need to get precise because the extended cut-outs cannot be seen when the top unit is screwed on. I pained the new cut black just in case the cut and bare metal would show through those nice big cooling holes.

Once you make these mods you’re ready to install. Field strip the gun. Rotate gas tube lock up and pull off gas tube. Now you will need the gun builders best friend – the non-marring hammer. Go to Home Depot and spend $10 to get a small polymer headed mallet. The top polymer HG fits so tight in the gas tube I had to mount it in a vice and tap the GH with the mallet to get it started turning. Once I got it ¼ of the way around, I could rotate it off with hand pressure just like normal. Now that your gas tube is bare, remove the factory lower polymer HG. Pull forward, or tap the sling swivels attached to the front lower HG retainer cap with the happy-hammer so it slides off the forward tang, towards the muzzle. Then grab the lower HG and pull like heck to get it out of the receiver – a few taps with the hammer on the lower palm swell helps free it up. Once that is off add the new railed HG’s.

Start with the bottom unit. Line it up under the barrel and with hand pressure slid it back and get the rear tang started into the receiver. Slip the front cap over the forward tang, make sure everything is in line and give the front cap a few good whacks with the hammer to seat the unit. As it goes into the receiver it will strip a cunt-hair’s worth of metal off the rear tangs of the HG but no worries – the HG is AL and it is MUCH softer than the sharp, hard Russian steel receiver, which acts as its own hone – trust me, smacking that HG home will not hurt a thing on that tank of a gun and you’ll get a solid fit. If some bright AL shows around where you seated it into the rear receiver – well that’s what the black touch-up paint pen is for.

Now that the bottom is seated, just replace you bare gas tube like normal and rotate the lock down to hold it in place. Then place the upper HG over the gas tube and give it a few love taps to seat it down. Then a few taps to the front or rear to get the screw holes to line up. Then sink the screws, just go tight but not too tight, I quit when I heard a bit of crunching as the AL HG was starting to deform a bit against the steel gas tube. You don’t want a lot of stress on the gas tube. Trust me, it will be snug and not come loose at this point. You’re done, and it looks great!

I think this HG looks great on the Vepr 12 – on Mako’s site the unit looks a bit out of place on the RPK-74. It is to brawny for that gun. But the added beef of the Vepr 12 helps balance the HG’s added width and the scale of the barrel and gas system on the Verp 12 help as well. Nothing should look delicate on the Vepr 12 and these HG’s are a perfect addition.

Hope this helps.

FZ

Edited by Fault Zone

Thanks for the mnow how on the Mako rail. Suppose i have to wait for the chaos version. Not big on the idea of spending $250 for a rail to cut on it. Sucks too because i like the look of it.

That is the monster break and they do work great. They also make a mini monster (1/2 the size) that also works great.