Testing the theory of repacking primers in obsolete/surplus ammo?...

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2013/03/ap-explosion-during-training-hawthorne-army-depot-031913/

Explosion reported at Hawthorne Army Depot

An official at the Hawthorne Army Depot says an explosion has occurred during a Marine Corps training exercise.

Russ Collier told KRNV-TV in Reno that the explosion Monday night was an accident unrelated to the ammunition that is stored at the military facility near the small desert community of Hawthorne.

There was no immediate information of any injuries. Calls to the depot and to U.S. Joint Munitions Command, which oversees the facility, were not immediately answered.

The depot is about 140 miles southeast of Reno. The Mineral County Sheriff’s Office said it does not have any details.

The Hawthorne Army Depot stores and disposes of ammunition and provides long-term storage for industrial plant equipment. The facility is comprised of hundreds of buildings spread over more than 230 square miles.

The hour it was posted the mortar was not known (only that there was an explosion). Being a munitions depot it fits in with expired shelf-life surplus ammo, prior to resale to governments or civilian markets, being processed. A previous post mentioned tampering with primers to cause catastrophic failures. So...at oh-dark-hundred when the news broke of an explosion on the depot I tossed out the idea of a malfunction while prepping faulty ammo. Now that it has been stated the cause was from a mortar and Marines have died my insinuation has been debunked.

I read some interesting accounts of the CIA doing that to the enemy during Vietnam, but I'd call BS on that happening in the US civilian market.

On one occasion, during the war, the bolt from a soldiers AK was blown out the back of the rifle and into his face. An interesting story, if it was true.

Reports of us doing it to AK ammo caches over in the bad lands. True or not. I thought it was a good idea. It would be to hard for them to tamper with our ammo sources. Legal issues would follow.

As for the primer thing. That I can see. But, I am sure there would be a way around it. Like, store your ammo in your freezer.

Any dying primers, could cause hangfires and possibly stuck bullets. Both of which would get the company sued if there was an injury caused.

This is like the taggant bullshit awhile back. Anyone that handles explosives for a living knows that any contamination from any source could sensitize the explosive causing an accident. This would be the same.

And may the Lord be with the families of the Marines killed!

how do you think "military surplus ammunition" gets on the market? it's not surplus, but rather was rejected by the military because it failed some quality assurance test by LOT number, so the manufactured dumps the ammunition on the civilian market. doesn't mean it's dangerous, just didn't pass a quality test, ie. sealant around the primer let in water etc...

so put away the tin foil beanie.

Actually when a country goes from 308 to 223 or from x39 to 5.45 the excess is sold off. Or used to be.

Shelf life maximum is also sold off. Or was before the UN and that damned treaty.

Offspec is sold also but its not the only source.

Edited by Rhodes1968