Goodbye polymer, hello aluminum! My new MKA/TAC-12

Anubis.

I need the extra mag and bolt catch unit for my Tac-12....Do you have it ??

It is time your company mass produces a 100% US made AR type shotgun

1) all ambidexious control features

2) fixed but removable barrel ( like Scar 17, with two screws ) ( Zeroing again once re-installling the barrel, esp. for Slug barrel )

3) folding stock hinges ( like Sig rifle hinges )...uses purchase their own Mil-spec buttstock

4) instant adjustable gas piston

.......etc.....

Next...*** How about the ultimate ,US made AA-12 civilian version, counter-balance recoil feature type bullpup shotgun ?? I would be happy with a magwell and the 10-12 ronds type magazine........or with the Xrailsystem magazine unit.................US AA-12 shotgun.......Modified, .Improved and fine-tuning the existing gun tech.....

How about including folding stock unit ( like Sig rifle ) for the Tac-12 to ease disassembling the bolt in the back ?? Best of both worlds.

Just suggesting....saying ...my 2cents

Edited by SHOTGUNWIN
  • Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The tale of the Firebird and the logo   The firebird is the phoenix, the bird that rose from its own ashes.   I was once very into dragboat racing and would race at Firebird international raceway

Can I request a lower that has an additional engraving around the safety... that looks like this  

I dont believe you have any idea if firebird would even consider this, before you start speaking to the forum about starting something like this, you should find out if FB would want to do this. I rea

Posted Images

Unfortunately we don't produce the mag catch or the bolt lock, they need to come from the polymer lower you're replacing, and the bolt lock needs to be re-drilled to .100-.104 to accommodate a true AR-15 bolt lock roll pin. That being said, we are currently developing a 100% made in the US shotgun, the TAC-12A1.

We've had to re-machine uppers in shop to fit, and machine one-off ramps that don't contact the barrel in these cases.

If, when I get my lower, it doesn't fit well with the upper... can I send everything to you guys for fitting? I'm #114 if I recall, and I'm having you install your FCG and such, so it's going to be a while -- but I figured I'd ask, just so I know if I've got an "out" or not if things don't fit properly.

You can check your upper real easy. With the gun disassembled insert the barrel fully into the upper, and then look into the ejection port. The edge of the chamber should be at most flush with the leading edge of the ejection port. If it protrudes further into the upper so you can see the outer edge of the barrel in the port you have an overbored upper. If that's the case give us a call.

Edit to add: If you want us to fit your upper and lower, we will in all cases. Just let us know.

Edited by Anubis
  • Like 2
You can check your upper real easy. With the gun disassembled insert the barrel fully into the upper, and then look into the ejection port. The edge of the chamber should be at most flush with the leading edge of the ejection port. If it protrudes further into the upper so you can see the outer edge of the barrel in the port you have an overbored upper. If that's the case give us a call.

Edit to add: If you want us to fit your upper and lower, we will in all cases. Just let us know.

Welp, I think I am screwed.

My lower did not seem to be fully seating so before wrestling it I checked this. Seems to be the case with mine. Can you confirm Anubis?

Ironically I had a non-XN and and a XN a few weeks back asked around and I think Jim said the XN was the one to keep :( So I sold the non-XN.

If this needs to be fitted now - what does that entail? Does any of the fitting prevent it from working with other MKA's ? Considering waiting for the upper or just holding out for the TAC-12A1 now.

Picture:

tyxIh6k.jpg

we are currently developing a 100% made in the US shotgun, the TAC-12A1.

OK, you have my interest now. The Akdal stuff, not so much but that line there I like.

Is it going to be based off a typical auto loader like the Akdal, or a true AR type? Spill some beans man.

as Jim has said before he has the design for a true AR style shotgun.

Some friends and I have been working toward an AR-10 lower based 12 gauge, and several others have also, the cost of them complete is the problem as I am learning lol.

and I believe he's made it clear that he's been basically taking the akdal design and improving and making 100% replacement parts.

** Remember the Ar10rb gas system..........and the latest gas system....etc... in the ACR..Scar..Beretta Arx-160..Ak47..Tavor...

** They all have similarities in the gas and recoil functions...

** Semi-auto Piston rifle and shotgun is the way to go.

** How about recoil-counter balance features ???. is this the next generatiion gun tech ?? Feel pessimistic ?? too far in the future for our time ?? .

??? Why US companies slow to innovate with what existing Tech and Gas system........modified...improved...redesisgned...fine tuned.....reinvented new products......

** Ras 12 ( build on Ar-10 lower ) shotgun is coming....but too bad ...no folding stock...

***** Semi-auto bullpup shotgun is the BEST.......weight balancing.....as you could hold the shotgun and rifle for a long long period of time with one hand. *****

** Don't forget Limbsaver pad and Enidine hydraulic shot tube...

** You could have original version but we could also have modern, hybrid, improved version with all removable barrel.......etc......ambidexious features ( like a swiss knife )

** Like Vz58....if only it could use regular Ak-47 mag.....new receiver and cover.....ambidexious....all rails.....etc....etc

** May someone or individual, inspired enough, would do it with on-going weedend project and research.....

Just some of my thoughts....my 2cents

What is this new lowre, and why is it better than the one that came with my shotgun?

Its precision cut from aluminum. Solves some problems we have with the polymer lowers (feeding high cap mags) and adds a few pounds weight to a very light 12 ga shotgun.

Bill

Thanks Flatland.

Did you spring for new lower?

RK

Welp, I think I am screwed.

My lower did not seem to be fully seating so before wrestling it I checked this. Seems to be the case with mine. Can you confirm Anubis?

Ironically I had a non-XN and and a XN a few weeks back asked around and I think Jim said the XN was the one to keep sad.png So I sold the non-XN.

If this needs to be fitted now - what does that entail? Does any of the fitting prevent it from working with other MKA's ? Considering waiting for the upper or just holding out for the TAC-12A1 now.

Picture:

tyxIh6k.jpg

I have a way to work around the error in the upper, and I would fit the receivers for you if you like, just pay shipping

Jim

What is this new lowre, and why is it better than the one that came with my shotgun?

Its precision cut from aluminum. Solves some problems we have with the polymer lowers (feeding high cap mags) and adds a few pounds weight to a very light 12 ga shotgun.

Bill

Thanks Flatland.

RK

I was advised that it is scheduled to ship on Monday (tomorrow).

Bill

Bill

Thanks Flatland.

RK

Bill

Its in a box with your name on itrolleyes.gif

Jim

Bill

Thanks Flatland.

RK

Bill

Its in a box with your name on itrolleyes.gif

Jim

Thank you sir.

Bill

on the list #168 looks like it willl be christmas end of may start of june!!!

I will loan you a complete poly lower until your Tac-12 is in if you like

Jim

that be really cool of you, but i think i will be ok for a couple months it gives me a reason to go dust off a few others in the collection i havent had time for even though it wont be as much fun. if somethinges i will take you up on that offer

thanks jim

Bill

With clamped 10/15 rounders, Jims handguard and a Magpul UBR I'm not sure if it really qualifies as light anymore wink.png

Edited by gose

My gun is done. Recieved update parts from Firebird. Got it all together.

I did shoot it last weekend without the bolt catch and it definetly shoots better and absorbs recoil better than before.

I am truly happy with it!!

The Limbsaver is on. It is the 1" grind to fit "speed mount". Notice the relieved toe and heel to make mounting the gun easier. It is mounted but not ground to match the stock yet. It is very close so I will use it as is at the match Saturday.

Also got in the 5-in-line pouch from Tuff products to use this weekend. (no kydex or mag belt clips for me yet) It is modular and lets me change one of the pouches over to hold 3 pistol mags. I'll post pics later.

post-45553-0-55088300-1366343324_thumb.jpg

post-45553-0-86260200-1366343326_thumb.jpg

post-45553-0-70865700-1366343325_thumb.jpg

ToysRUs

How does the Firebird stock feel to you? I see they have a Solid Billet A-1 length available now along with one that is adjustable

that looks like yours... I have the standard 1919 poly stock on mine right now and I like the lenght of pull it has. When

I get My Firebird lower I will get one of there stocks as well...I would Like to keep the gun all Firebird. I already have there Long

handguard installed on my XN. It would be nice also If you could get a Firebird stock that Matched the slots that are in the Long

handgard like the oval holes in the shorty handguard match the stock you have on yours....

Duggr

Edited by duggr

The system as a whole feels great.

I shot it last weekend and the extra weight really helps mitigate the felt recoil.

The entry stock, to me, is too short without the limbsaver/spacer. I usually shoot AR with "nose to charging handle" and the stock setup had me "nose to picatinny".

Myself and a range safety officer both got smacked in the nose by the rail. (FYI I am 5'8")

Adding the limbsaver fixed that,

I am expecting the Limbsaver will make most of the felt recoil go away.

I would suggest that if you like the stock length of pull then tell Firebird and have them set you up that way.

I talked about the adj stock but once I have it set up to the length I want I will not change it so adjustability is redundant to me.

I have a few other goodies I will post about later.

Firebird lower installed. Gun is almost done , but not quite. Waiting on Hand Guard Rails and then will decide on sights. UTG Folding Mechanism is complete crap. Waiting on one part, then will swap the UTG out for a great folding mechanism.

3.jpg

Edited by Venomous
Firebird lower installed. Gun is almost done , but not quite. Waiting on Hand Guard Rails and then will decide on sights. UTG Folding Mechanism is complete crap. Waiting on one part, then will swap the UTG out for a great folding mechanism.

3.jpg

Is that the Mako recoil reducing stock? If so, how do you like it? I've been thinking about picking one up.