Goodbye polymer, hello aluminum! My new MKA/TAC-12

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The tale of the Firebird and the logo   The firebird is the phoenix, the bird that rose from its own ashes.   I was once very into dragboat racing and would race at Firebird international raceway

Can I request a lower that has an additional engraving around the safety... that looks like this  

I dont believe you have any idea if firebird would even consider this, before you start speaking to the forum about starting something like this, you should find out if FB would want to do this. I rea

Posted Images

Anubis "While we only offer them in black anodize, we have sent a few to customers in the white so they can do their own custom finishes"

Hmmm...I wonder who that could be?.?? Moi? Others too I suppose. I've got big plans for that lower. If you are going to build an Open gun, might as well go big or go home. I'm matching it with XN upper to build a 2nd gun.

On my original gun, I painted my upper and lower last year with titanium Cerakote. It was disappointing. It kind of just made it look cheap. The plastic lower just didn't take the Cerakote well. A matte color like OD Green or Tan might be fine. The good news is that every time I send it to Firebird for upgrades, they know that gun!

I'm going to take a different approach this time. I'm outsourcing the finish work..which is not easy for a gun painter like me to do.

And BTW, I'm going to make the Firebird logo STAND OUT. Great story Jim. Thanks for sharing.

Here's a pic of my original gun (hey, it kind of looks like the POF .308 posted above)

IMAG0246.jpg

Edited by Montana3gunner
Anubis "While we only offer them in black anodize, we have sent a few to customers in the white so they can do their own custom finishes"

Hmmm...I wonder who that could be?.?? Moi? Others too I suppose. I've got big plans for that lower. If you are going to build an Open gun, might as well go big or go home. I'm matching it with XN upper to build a 2nd gun.

On my original gun, I painted my upper and lower last year with titanium Cerakote. It was disappointing. It kind of just made it look cheap. The plastic lower just didn't take the Cerakote well. A matte color like OD Green or Tan might be fine. The good news is that every time I send it to Firebird for upgrades, they know that gun!

I'm going to take a different approach this time. I'm outsourcing the finish work..which is not easy for a gun painter like me to do.

And BTW, I'm going to make the Firebird logo STAND OUT. Great story Jim. Thanks for sharing.

Here's a pic of my original gun (hey, it kind of looks like the POF .308 posted above)

IMAG0246.jpg

I seem to recall seeing that gun in here not too long ago for some more modifications. Post a new pic! :)

Also, that chamber flag is one of Sterling's right? Super awesome dude.

Montana 3 Gunner -

I noticed you have the FB short handguard but you have a full length, I think, Gas System?

Correct! That pic is actually from last year. Last year, I purchased one of the very first Firebird hand guards, prior to their new guide rod. That left the old guide rod sticking out and I used it to hold some weights which served to weigh the front of the gun down. Although it was totally ghetto in appearance, it actually worked pretty well.

Since that pic, I've added the new heavy guide rod and the FB HEOS gas system. Also had them put on the new ramps. The latter two mods made a world of difference in the guns reliability and ability to shoot low recoil loads - thus lessening the need to weight the gun down as much (although some weight definitely helps). The new guide rod adds some weight out there but allows you to use FB's retaining nut which is a huge improvement.

You may notice the slightly different color bolt. I coated my internals with Cerakote Microslick. I think it improved the action some, and makes it easier to clean.

I have an ACE stock I need to install. The transition from lower to stock is kind of a mess, I need to do something there, although I will probably put most of my efforts into my new MKA with the new aluminum lower. Here is the gun today:

IMG_20130505_100109_400.jpgIMG_20130505_100201_098.jpg

IMAG0246.jpg

I seem to recall seeing that gun in here not too long ago for some more modifications. Post a new pic! smile.png

Also, that chamber flag is one of Sterling's right? Super awesome dude.

You are correct Anubis! That flag is one of Sterlings. They are great flags. I got it at last year's MGM Iron Man. He gave them to all the RO's.

any idea what number they are up to on the order list

I'm in the 90's and Nancy thinks it will be toward the middle or end of May! Turns out they have a couple orders before me that ordered several

receivers each! Maybe someone from F.B. will chime in and give a better timeline.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to say I'm jealous of the all black version above. I may have went in the wrong direction with this, its a work in progress though. I would like a Chaos rail if he ever puts them out; until then I slightly modified the stock one to take the grip and rail.

Edit: no cat killer jokes that was purely accidental bad_smile.gif

Magpul CTR

Magpul MIAD

Magpul RVG

Magpul rail

Salem 6 mag conversions (4)

Surefire G2X (320 Lumen version)

Low brass spring / bushing

Removed front sling point

photo3zjy.jpgphoto1akv.jpgphoto2ord.jpg

Edited by CalveryDemon
  • 2 weeks later...

I got my TAC-12 lower today. I assembled it with the parts from my stock lower and the only issue, which is noted in this thread was, I had to file the upper for the bolt hold open to work (really easy) and drill out the hold open lever so the pin would fit (easy also).

I had to do the same operation.

(This picture is from GunsumerReports.com's review of the Akdal MKA 1919.)

Akdal_MKA_1919_158.JPG

I didn't have anything even remotely resembling a "notch" in my upper -- certainly, nothing like the shiny, bare-metal notch you see in the picture above. So, I went to Harbor Freight and bought a "10-piece diamond needle-file set" and went to work. There were some very minor scratches on the upper receiver, made I'm sure by the the bolt-catch assembly when I kept trying to get the latter make the bolt stay locked to the rear. Using the location of those scratches and the photo above as guides, I started filing. After a little while I had a very nice notch filed into the upper receiver, very similar to what you see in the photo. I reassembled everything, charged the bolt to the rear, tested the bolt catch... and the bolt stayed locked to the rear. I took everything apart again, checked things over one last time, and then reassembled the shotgun. The bolt catch works perfectly now.

Just thought I'd share in case other folks can use this information. It always helps to have a picture to look at when you're trying to figure things out.

Edited by Hunter308