Goodbye polymer, hello aluminum! My new MKA/TAC-12

Firebird lower installed. Gun is almost done , but not quite. Waiting on Hand Guard Rails and then will decide on sights. UTG Folding Mechanism is complete crap. Waiting on one part, then will swap the UTG out for a great folding mechanism.

3.jpg

Is that the Mako recoil reducing stock? If so, how do you like it? I've been thinking about picking one up.

Yes, it is the Mako Recoil reducing stock. I have not shot with it yet. But friends told me they have it on other guns and love it. It is a little on the heavy side.With all the mods my MKA is no longer light..... I also have the ATI Scorpion recoil reducing grip on it. It will be interesting to see how they work together.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The tale of the Firebird and the logo   The firebird is the phoenix, the bird that rose from its own ashes.   I was once very into dragboat racing and would race at Firebird international raceway

Can I request a lower that has an additional engraving around the safety... that looks like this  

I dont believe you have any idea if firebird would even consider this, before you start speaking to the forum about starting something like this, you should find out if FB would want to do this. I rea

Posted Images

I got my TAC-12 lower today. I assembled it with the parts from my stock lower and the only issue, which is noted in this thread was, I had to file the upper for the bolt hold open to work (really easy) and drill out the hold open lever so the pin would fit (easy also). Other than that all else fit great. I will not be shooting it until next Thursday and will update then.

post-42160-0-78244600-1367003676_thumb.jpg

Edited by compshootfl

The tale of the Firebird and the logo

The firebird is the phoenix, the bird that rose from its own ashes.

I was once very into dragboat racing and would race at Firebird international raceway for the world finals

In 2006 during the finals, I crashed my boat.

The injuries put me in a wheelchair for about two years.

I was unable to build racecars and streetrods which was my primary business for the previous 20 years.

I had been involved in multigun and USPSA pistol shooting since 1984, and had been building guns for many years prior to that.

So I decided to start a firearms manufacturing business.

The name Firebird seemed to be perfect to describe my rehab from the crash and my new start in life.

I drew the logo with a sharpie pen free hand, turned it into a vector file and made it symmetrical.

It has a common look seen in many many phoenix or firebird works of art, but it is unique.

So thats where this stuff came from.

Jim

• Like 4
The tale of the Firebird and the logo

The firebird is the phoenix, the bird that rose from its own ashes.

I was once very into dragboat racing and would race at Firebird international raceway for the world finals

In 2006 during the finals, I crashed my boat.

The injuries put me in a wheelchair for about two years.

I was unable to build racecars and streetrods which was my primary business for the previous 20 years.

I had been involved in multigun and USPSA pistol shooting since 1984, and had been building guns for many years prior to that.

So I decided to start a firearms manufacturing business.

The name Firebird seemed to be perfect to describe my rehab from the crash and my new start in life.

I drew the logo with a sharpie pen free hand, turned it into a vector file and made it symmetrical.

It has a common look seen in many many phoenix or firebird works of art, but it is unique.

So thats where this stuff came from.

Jim

Heck ya, glad you are still kickin' Jim :)

that is a great story to hear and glad you survived, but I still don't like that logo.

It is just too big and gaudy, now this is just my opinion, no offense meant by it.

other than that it looks like a very nice piece.

Can I order a custom one without the logo, just plain?

Edited by SHOTGUN MESIAH
  • Like 1

Jim,

I'm honored that you shared your story with us and I am proud to have your logo on the side of my MKA.

For those who continue to beat the dead horse on the subject we 'get it' you love plain stuff, enough is enough.

Even better, here's a $10.00 solution: buy a tube of Bondo and a can of Krylon and go to work. Hell, you can fill in every logo on your gun for that matter.

here's a $10.00 solution: buy a tube of Bondo and a can of Krylon and go to work. Hell, you can fill in every logo on your gun for that matter.

Actually a better solution would be to grind it off, and that's free naaaa.gif

I have a better answer. Just toss this sticker over it.

plain-hello-kitty-face.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing that Jim...I lived in Phoenix many years and watched a lot of races at Firebird lake and saw many drag boats. It was always a good time. Glad you are still alive and kicking and putting out top quality products for people like me to enjoy.

I just got my lower and love it, I hopefully will be shooting it for the first time tomorrow at our action shotgun match, I am looking forward to putting it through it's paces.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the story, Jim. I don't know ca-ca about "ball" sports; shooting, hunting, handloading... and racing... these are the things I'm into and have been into since I was a little kid. With regard to racing, if it had an engine, I watched it. NHRA, NASCAR (before it was "cool"), boats, land-speed records (Craig Breedlove), motorcycles... whatever. Always loved watching boat races... I remember the 392 Hemis... my God. I remember crashes where boats (and racers) pretty much just vaporized. Gutsy sport. Anyway... again, thanks for the story, and my Firebird lower (#114, if I recall) will display your logo for all to see!

I shot my MKA with the new TAC-12 lower last night. All I can say is this is definately a game changer for me, all the little bugs I had with the mags and an occasional FTF have vanished. I also think the gun seems much more solid and seems to shoot with slightly less recoil (my opinion). I know one thing, it sure got alot of fingerprints on it at the range from all the "that's cool" crowd. I am glad I made the move on this and feel it is a good value definately for the competition shooter like myself, it gives me that little extra confidence I was lacking in the platform previously. I think overall that Firebird did a great job with this and think they deserve alot of credit for taking the time to produce it. Now if they only offered it in a Nickel-Boron coating...I would be a buyer for another one.

I shot my MKA with the new TAC-12 lower last night. All I can say is this is definately a game changer for me, all the little bugs I had with the mags and an occasional FTF have vanished. I also think the gun seems much more solid and seems to shoot with slightly less recoil (my opinion). I know one thing, it sure got alot of fingerprints on it at the range from all the "that's cool" crowd. I am glad I made the move on this and feel it is a good value definately for the competition shooter like myself, it gives me that little extra confidence I was lacking in the platform previously. I think overall that Firebird did a great job with this and think they deserve alot of credit for taking the time to produce it. Now if they only offered it in a Nickel-Boron coating...I would be a buyer for another one.

While we only offer them in black anodize, we have sent a few to customers in the white so they can do their own custom finishes.