Ammo Box Storage Pack Outs
When I was trying to decide on how to store my ammo I wish I had known how much of the different calibers fit in the various ammo boxes
Here is a list I came up with so far

AmmoBoxStorage002_zpseebccc90.jpg

If you have something packed differently please post it below.

Here is a couple pics that help demonstrate the box configuration
Please post you’re if you have them.
Ammo30Cal001_zps0c7828b5.jpg
Ammo50Ca001l_zps81a626ff.jpg

Edited by Boba Debt
I like the linked 40mm grenade cans myself. The local army/navy place charges the same for the stupid 50 cal boxes and they are 4X the size

What do you store in them?

1000 rounds of 45ACP wieghs about 55 pounds, i can't imagine trying to carry a 40mm grenade box full of ammo.

Due to differences in box dimensions between ammunition manufacturers, it's not easy to come up with a standard ammo can loadout.

Some manufacturers use plastic trays, and the space between rounds is relatively small - some use styrofoam, with resultant greater spacing and larger box size for the same number of rounds.

Most of the ammo I have packed away in ammo cases is loose. The cardboard ammo boxes in my view add no value and attract moisture. I can fit 1K rounds of 7.62x39 in a 50 cal can with desiccant.

I would do this if space was a major contributing factor but for now I like to leave mine in bixes. It's easier to grab 50 rounds, I use the tray to keep track when I'm reloading mags and you always know the specifics of the round if you keep it in the box.

Due to differences in box dimensions between ammunition manufacturers, it's not easy to come up with a standard ammo can loadout.

Some manufacturers use plastic trays, and the space between rounds is relatively small - some use styrofoam, with resultant greater spacing and larger box size for the same number of rounds.

I know, Winchester 45ACP JHP has to come in the biggest box ever. I didn't know much about Speer Gold Dot, then I noticed that it came in 50 round LE boxes that were thee same size as Tula and i knew I could fit 20 boxes of Tula in a 50 cal box so I read up on the SGD and discovered it was a really good round for the price. I an found of the mid weight +P calibers such as 200+P 45ACP and 124+P9mm

480 rds (24 boxes) 7.62x39mm.

Thanks

I added this to my chart and made some changes to include more info

Space is not a factor for me as well. I am more concerned with moisture. If I have to evacuate and take my ammo, I want the maximum haul in the shortest space. Cardboard boxes equals less ammo and more space. The only ammo I keep in the original boxes are the .22 bricks.

.30 can, 128 rnds of 12 ga 2 3/4" loose pack. 16 rnds (row of 12 and line of 4) x 8 deep with cardboard dunnage between can and ammo preventing staggering of stacks. If the levels stagger, you might get 130 in there, but there's a chance of crushing.

.30 can, 308 rnds of .30-06 loose pack with dunnage. 22 across x 14 deep. The 200 rnds of 7.62 NATO is for belted, usually two boxes of 100.

x39: I can get 1K boxed in a 50 cal can. Can't remember how I layered it, but you have to "massage" the last box in there. Otherwise it's 980.

My Yugo M67 is loose at 880 per 50 can. I had a couple of 880 marked large(50cal) 5.56 cans.

I've got 5K .22LR loose in a regular 30 cal can.

1K loose of .45 ACP in a 50 cal can.

25 loaded AR mags in a SAW can

21 loaded AK mags in a SAW can

250 12GA slugs(15 per box) in a "50 deep can"(originally had countermeasures in it, not .50BMG) or 250 shotshells(25 per box)

My range gear is in a 20MM AA can

Edited by Lone Eagle
Anyone here vacum pack their ammo? I am thinking about it.

I was thinking the same thing, seen it done on youtube. Not sure if I'd want to go loose for that but you sure can pack alot. I may do my boxes that way just for waterproofing, but if you have actual ammo cans with a good seal you are usually good to go. I like the MTM 50cal box its the same size and has a good wide seal on it. But I also have 30cal, 50cal, and fat 50's I use as well. fat 50's will hold 4 1lb jugs of alliant powder and 1lb of accurate I believe.

The way I see it It could be buried or stored in a unconditioned space ,I do not think heat would be a problem.

I live in sw fl and have no more room in my closet. Still looking into it may try a sample.

I must be the only one here who uses the 50 cal cans actually for 50 cal.

With in the box Federal 50 BMG, I can only get 80 rounds in a 100 round can.

Been thinking about putting them in loose to see if I can get 100 rounds in it.

I just feel a bit uneasy with loose rounds in a tin can, especially 50 BMG.

and wouldnt loose rounds contacting the metal botom and sides be more

susceptible to rusting?

Edited by SHOTGUN MESIAH

I line all my cans with thin cardboard, as it gives some cushioning against a primer strike, and also prevents rattling in the can. Although, I don't line the cans I use for duck hunting, due to the possibility of absorbing water.

Anyone here vacum pack their ammo? I am thinking about it.

Yes I have done this. One of the reasons I purchased my Weston Pro-2300. I mostly have vacuum sealed .22 from the bulk packs. Again moisture concerns.

Edited by yakdung
  • Like 1
.30 can, 128 rnds of 12 ga 2 3/4" loose pack. 16 rnds (row of 12 and line of 4) x 8 deep with cardboard dunnage between can and ammo preventing staggering of stacks. If the levels stagger, you might get 130 in there, but there's a chance of crushing.

.30 can, 308 rnds of .30-06 loose pack with dunnage. 22 across x 14 deep. The 200 rnds of 7.62 NATO is for belted, usually two boxes of 100.

I pack my 3" 12 GA in the exact same way except I can only get 3 rounds down the side.

Can you explain the way you pack the 30-06 better. Are you laying the rounds in there loose with cardboard in between each layer??

x39: I can get 1K boxed in a 50 cal can. Can't remember how I layered it, but you have to "massage" the last box in there. Otherwise it's 980.

My Yugo M67 is loose at 880 per 50 can. I had a couple of 880 marked large(50cal) 5.56 cans.

I've got 5K .22LR loose in a regular 30 cal can.

1K loose of .45 ACP in a 50 cal can.

25 loaded AR mags in a SAW can

21 loaded AK mags in a SAW can

250 12GA slugs(15 per box) in a "50 deep can"(originally had countermeasures in it, not .50BMG) or 250 shotshells(25 per box)

My range gear is in a 20MM AA can

I tried to get 1K of x39 into a 50 cal can but I don't think it's possible. Perhaps a Fat 50 can but I can't see it fitting in a regular 50 can.

I appreciate the info on loose ammo but I think I'll stick with mostly boxed ammo for the chart. I actully saw 1k rounds of 45ACP in a 50 cal box at a gun show and there was anout 3/4" left at the top of the box. Considering that I get 1000 in the same box I didn't really see the advantage to it.

50 can 5500 rnds .22 LR, 10 500 rnd bricks and 10 50 rnd boxes, possibly more.

30 can 1600 rnds .22 LR, 100 rnd boxes two rows.

Military pack for 12 ga 2 3/4" in a 50 can is 175 rnds in 25 rnd boxes.

I added the 22lr brick info the the chart

I pack my 22LR into 30 call cans the same way and it is already on the chart

Thanks for all the info so far.

Edited by Boba Debt

I don't see any wheel gun loads so my contribution is 14 x 50rd boxes (700 rds) of 357 magnum in a regular 50 cal can . These are independence 50 rd boxes with the plastic divider tray thingies and they just fit like a glove. They are stacked 4 high in the boxes laying flat and then the 2 on the end are up edgewise. If you wanted to put some desiccant in there you could toss it right there on the end 2 boxes as they set a little below the others stacked.

http://imageshack.us/a/img27/5648/imag0419z.jpg

My 7.62x39 is in old school 50 cal cans with the side hinged lid. They are about the same width and height but about 5/8ths inch longer inside. The sightly longer dimensions means I can get 46 x 20rdboxes (920 rds) of 7.62x39 monarch in the can. Thats 10 stacks 4 high laying flat and 2 stacks 3 high up on their side in the end of the can. The corners of these cans are a little more rounded inside so it will kinda smoosh the corners of the boxes a bit in the end but it isn't hurting anything and provides a tight rattle free fit. This ammo is slightly larger in the package than Wolf due to the fact that it is completely wrapped over in the paper as well as divided and then put in the box where as the Wolf is just divided by the paper in the box.

http://imageshack.us/a/img853/143/imag0420o.jpg

Right now i'm low enough on the wolf that I am not sure how much would fit in the can but I never did get it to stack even and tightly in there.

Edited by jojo200517

Anything I bought for long term storage was lacquer coated.

308 (BB) and x39 (GT) make up the inventory on that stuff. Its a dream to deal with as you likely could just throw it in a hole as is for a year. Not that I would if given a choice...

After seeing how abused and reliable the milsurp has been, when we used to could get it, it just doesn't make sense to store unsealed ammo for very long term.

I'm playing with sealing my reloads now.

As for how to store it, stripper clips.

SHOTGUN MESIAH,

a 50 cal can will hold 150 un linked 50 cal rounds .

I figured that much since throes cans are made for linked rounds. I'm just a bit nervous about 50 BMG rounds loose in a tin can.

does anyone know of any plastic trays that hold the 50 BMG round, kind of like a shotgun ammo box, stackable ?

Don`t Be ,rim fire is more dangerous loose packed than any cup primed ammo loose packed but if you want plastic MTM makes a number of 50 cal boxes .trays and the like , good quality ,a lot of Match shooters use MTM containers and trays . i run both belt and Match so i have some plastic but belt ,issue ammo steel cans the best a little card board

• Like 1