I store mine in paper box stacks inside the can. For .308 I store the battle packs or boxes stacked, and I have some .308 in small zip lock bags loose inside the can. seem to get more ammo capacity with the small bags of 20 rounds than keeping it in the cartons...

.30 can, 128 rnds of 12 ga 2 3/4" loose pack. 16 rnds (row of 12 and line of 4) x 8 deep with cardboard dunnage between can and ammo preventing staggering of stacks. If the levels stagger, you might get 130 in there, but there's a chance of crushing.

.30 can, 308 rnds of .30-06 loose pack with dunnage. 22 across x 14 deep. The 200 rnds of 7.62 NATO is for belted, usually two boxes of 100.

I pack my 3" 12 GA in the exact same way except I can only get 3 rounds down the side.

Can you explain the way you pack the 30-06 better. Are you laying the rounds in there loose with cardboard in between each layer??

Military pack for 12 ga 2 3/4" in a 50 can is 175 rnds in 25 rnd boxes.

I added the 22lr brick info the the chart

I pack my 22LR into 30 call cans the same way and it is already on the chart

Thanks for all the info so far.

Here's the military 12 ga 175 rnd pack.

Mil1250pack_zps185d9cca.jpg

.30-06 pack 22 across, 14 high. You could add layers of thin cardstock to cut the rattling and keep order.

30-0630pack_zps0e9ea910.jpg

12 ga 128 rnd 30 pack.

12ga30pack_zps8ef0fad5.jpg

9mm Remington 50 pack 1000 rnds. 4x5

fe053cbe-93da-4b14-a397-9b13671ef447_zps

Edited by Capt Nemo

Make sure you use watertight containers whether they are military ammo cans or commercial plastic ones. I made the mistake of using South African ammo boxes which had a good seal to the top but the idiot assholes left holes in the bottom and the ammo got soaked when water got into my basement. It's annoying to lose good ammo to water especially when using military ammo cases. It's a lot worse now that ammo is almost impossible to find.

SHOTGUN MESIAH,

a 50 cal can will hold 150 un linked 50 cal rounds .

I figured that much since throes cans are made for linked rounds. I'm just a bit nervous about 50 BMG rounds loose in a tin can.

does anyone know of any plastic trays that hold the 50 BMG round, kind of like a shotgun ammo box, stackable ?

We used to unlink M9 .50 rounds for our Barretts and they bounced around the back of a HMMWV with no issues. You should be fine. If you are really concerned, you could use cardboard for dunnage.

I store 520 x39 rounds in .30 cal. boxes. If you stack one row of them differently than the rest, you can get a 8x10x8 configuration and it fits much tighter to the top :beer:

Roger that. I will try that to get more in each can. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

16 Normal 25 round boxes of 12 ga 2.75" fit perfectly into a 40 mm grenade ammo can. There is about a half inch between the boxes side to side, two layers deep. I think there would still be a little space if you put boxes of 3" shells in, but I don't have any to check with. There is about an inch of space on top, which could fit (6) 5 shot packs of 3" shells. 

It works out to 400 rounds (or 430 if you use the thin boxes on top) in the boxes with just enough gap to get your fingers in and pull a box out. It's a nice size for bulk reloading and stacking. It's also more cost effective for storage, since (1) 40mm can is cheaper than (2) 50cal cans, and holds more. It's a convenient size and shape to carry too, with stout handles each end.

Obviously, you could probably fit in more if you were to stagger the shells in and skip the boxes, but to me this is just right. If I were planning for long term storage, or lived in OR, etc. I would slip in some of those coffee filter+ silica kitty litter home made desiccant packs. I may do sometime or another.

gallery_17871_1237_766296.jpg

Edited by GunFun

Here's a copy from the other thread.

1140 rnds boxed in a .50 the way the military does it.  (57 boxes of 20)  The American Eagle and white box Federal XM193F are what I've tried so far.  Haven't tried the brown box Federal XM193 yet.  It's a little larger box and may only pack 840.

First layer.

post-46782-0-07717100-1386786098_thumb.jpg

Second layer.  Note small gap upper right.

post-46782-0-07251900-1386786183_thumb.jpg

Second layer full.  Will be flush.

post-46782-0-80276400-1386786266_thumb.jpg

Final layer.

post-46782-0-96359600-1386786310_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

AWESOME JOB

I actually challenge myself to figure out the most efficient pack out for the different types of ammo, I don't always use them but it's like a puzzle that needs solving.

I have to admit that this is by far the best 556 pack out I have seen and way better then what I came up with

I would use it but I am content in getting 1000 rounds in a box.

Edited by Boba Debt

That's an interesting pack out, do you know how much it weighs

I don't have a scale that isn't calibrated in grains. The same as 4 bulk packs plus a bit is the best I can say. I would guess 30-40 lbs, but I am notoriously bad at guesses in that range. The lead alone in 400 1 1/8 oz loads is 28 1/8 lbs.So let's say 35 lbs total?

You've got enough spare time to tell us you are superior...

Comical coming from a serial poster. I mean no matter what people post on here you've either been there, done it, own it, or saw one of your relatives do it.

BTW, get some help for your inferiority complex...

Edited by Jpanzer

You've got enough spare time to tell us you are superior...

Comical coming from a serial poster. I mean no matter what people post on here you've either been there, done it, own it, or saw one of your relatives do it.

BTW, get some help for your inferiority complex...

I do post too much. I don't try to one up people. If I do, call me on it. 

Logistics! How much can you really carry when shit hits the fan and you have to move fast.

Has anyone vac-packed the cans you cannot take and buried them.

Well if one actually owned any guns or ammo it would be best not to publicize a cache wouldn't it? nothing.gif

BTW I really like those vacuum pack bags just avoid sharp corners.

Logistics! How much can you really carry when shit hits the fan and you have to move fast.Has anyone vac-packed the cans you cannot take and buried them.

That's why I have a metric shit ton of mags already loaded stored in ammo cans. My boxed/loose stuff is intended for resupply.

I stack them deep for convenience of loading in large batches and to beat cost increases. I have no expectation of carrying thousands of rounds of shotgun ammo in some kind of catestrophic scenario.

The 400 round pack is a nice size for a larger group of people who want to goof around shooting at clay on a Saturday. Figure 2-3 25 packs a person for a 3 hour range session. Plus, I'd rather bring extra and haul it back than go out and come up short if an extra friend or two shows up. A couple grenade cans extra if the friend owns more than 10 MD 20s ;)

• 3 weeks later...

400 rounds 12 ga 2 3/4" in a fat .50 (SAW) can.  5 rows x 8 wide x 10 high with dunnage on bottom and sides.  Mil grade buck fits tight without dunnage on ends.

Just to clarify, a .50 can and a SAW can are two different animals

• 3 weeks later...

So I had to pull this thread back up to see if anyone had any pictures of a .50 alignment for x39 boxes and figured since I was trying to consolidate my x39 I should take a picture of my 520 x39 load into a .308 can

post-38885-0-33391500-1390155845_thumb.jpg

This is what the top and bottom rows would look like

post-38885-0-70236400-1390155884_thumb.jpg

and this is the center row beer.gif