Im looking for some ideas on ammo storage. Im currently using milsurp ammo cans, but the problem is that I filled them all up, and cant seem to find any in stock online or at my local Army/Navy shops. Anyone using something other than cans?

Yeah it was that way here for the longest time, but I started seeing much more coming on to shelves locally. Not sure if its a fluke or not, but Ive been picking up what I can, while I can before it goes away again.

Thats not a bad suggestion. The ammo is boxed, but Im just sick of having my other ammo in this small 3 tier dresser thing. Its not very stable and is made of plastic and getting heavier with every purchase, and it wont sustain the weight worth a shit now lol.

Another thing I've done is head down to a marine/auto battery shop, lots of times guys will buy a marine battery and leave behind the waterproof enclosure, they usually have handles and are watertight. About the size of a MK19 ammo box. Should be free or only a few bucks.

• Like 1

I use the 40mm cans. I like them because the are made to stack. Ammo in the bottom loose mags on top, unless I have battle packs.. I dont open those. You can go 4 to5 tall before the get unstable IMO. Would like to have an idea for the WW bulk packs...currently I have them staked across the top of the safe...3 high and 2 deep. Not sure how much more it would hold....and I will be adding more. Buds had some 40 mm cans online at a resonable price last week. We had a GS last weekend and the were going for 20 so not too far off by the time u figure in admission, gas, and time.

Good call. Im going to a gun show next weekend and will look for larger cans there. Or if I can get them at a reasonable price, I'll pick up some more .50 cal cans. Im considering just building one out of 1x8's or as large as I can get, and lining the inside with some caulk or silicone in the corners, and spray the inside with left over duracoat that I have. I was going layer it on pretty thick and let it cure. Or do the inside with a rattlecan bed liner. For the corners of the box itself, I was thinking of using some prepunch angle iron and painting the whole thing in a dark primer grey. I think I may just wait for the gun show first. lol.

Locally, Gander Mt has new .50's in stock for around $19.

Wish we were back in the good old days when I'd get a pallet of 100 .50's for $200, and a pallet of 200 .30's for the same! Also 2.75" rocket and 4.2" mortar crates with tubes for $1-2 ea. Miss the property disposal retail store at Ft. McCoy. The auctions now are shit!

I have three of these and they are very nice. Super tight o-ring seal, very strong latches that secure well and also have holes for locks. Are stackable and are .50 cal sized. Come in OD or FDE. Dense polymer walls. I stored almost 500 rounds of different pistol caliber in one with room to spare so there is plenty of room. The hinge is a metal rod so it is durable also, not weak and feeble.

http://store.smartreloader-usa.com/ammocan50mil-specm2a1-od-green.aspx

Edited by menace667
  • Like 1
Guys, I'm tellin you... Marine battery boxes.

Like this one: http://compare.ebay.com/like/290855091570?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

They practically give them away.

How would they hold up in the cold weather? Could they get banged around ok without cracking? It does look interesting.

you could alwase buy a section of large pvc pipe and some endcaps and eather glue both ends on or get screw in caps and make them what ever lenght you need and fill with loose ammo. easy cheap and durable stack them up like cord wood You clold also make some sort of rope handles for easy cary. wish I had your problem with too much ammo.

Edited by deadeye
  • Like 1