Looking for Ammo then buy a Gun to go with it.

Had the thought to find some odd ball yet inexpensive gun / ammo combination and buy some. Well that quickly changed to find some bulk ammo at a good price then find a gun for it. Simple put it’s just not out there in any ammo. Stuff that sat on the selves in warehouses for 50 years has been snapped up.

I’ve got the feeling if I buy a sling shot someone will come to my area and pick up all the rocks.

post-26137-0-79910500-1363790821.gif

• Like 1

Just buy what you want. Then you have what you want. There is always a few rounds for someone buying a gun and if they do not have it they will get it.

Thats Capitalism for you. Just this morning drove by the local gun store who had a message on the marque saying free ammo with every gun while supply lasts.

I wounder if it was the guns or ammo they were talking about?

Any reason you you do not like 12 gauge? I know the price is getting up there right now but IMHO I think you will move to one anyway.

I think he is refering to the fact that most of us are having a hard time even FINDING affordable 12ga at the moment. 20ga value packs seem to be plentiful at Wally-World right now, but little else...

• Like 1
7.62x54

Mosin Nagant

/thread

that was one of the ones I looked at the 7.62X54R seems a little rare / out right now at the places I looked.

What? Look harder... That caliber is the primary reason I want a VEPR chambered for it. I think right now it's the cheapest caliber I own to shoot... Surpassing even my .22s...

For the past several weeks, until I check just now, AIM has had Bulgarian surplus in stock for $80/440rds...

...it also happens to be steelcore. What I've bought of it is in VERY nice condition.

I was talking to a guy at Bass Pro Shop today and he says all the shelves across the country will be filled back up by May.

Things may be back to normal by summer, as long as you guys quit hoarding all the ammo smile.png

Edited by SHOTGUN MESIAH

i was at my bass pro this weekend. it was well stocked with all calibers of personal defense and some of the nicer rifle ammo, and they even had a little 223 left, but regular target practice and all .22lr were still vacant. was still nice to finally see some boxes on shelves though

.17 HMR is available everywhere around here too. Maybe you missed that one? You can easily pick up a rifle for it cheap, $100-150 range I think.

I have one, and I have to say, it is a GREAT rifle to shoot. I can drive nails with it at 50-75 yards, and I think maybe even at 100 yards. I wish I had some serious property just so I could pick off squirrels and stuff all day long.

Edited by Remek

I will refer to the post about "a do-all" gun when I mentioned the .17HMR vs. the SCAR 17 the OP was interested in...

well.. I guess I won't refer to it since google search hasn't found it yet..

.17HMR is a nasty little round... It's not glamorous like it's big brothers, but it is a bad MF for its carry weight..

I’ve got the feeling if I buy a sling shot someone will come to my area and pick up all the rocks.

Just out of curiosity, what would you be willing to pay for some nice rocks?

They are Mil Spec, BTW.

• Like 1
and whats the deal with all the 22 long hoarding?????? Not exactly a good war round.

I could do just about as much damage with a pellet gun.

The only thing I can figure out is that it started

disappearing when the doomday preper shows started

• Like 1

While granted I have not beat down the doors of every site on the web I have a fairly wide number I have accounts with and seems like a lot of other people do too. I wasn’t looking at getting a hoarding amount of ammo just enough to play with on a weekend now and then, in other words go out and shoot with the boys.

I not out of ammo on hand I have a little over 800 rounds of .223, 500 in .40 S&W, 400 in .357 and 45acp, 300 in 9mm, 200 in 22LR and about 50 each of 12 and 20 ga suitable for clay plus damn few hunting rounds. Part of it is I’m a cheap SOB and don’t want to buy at inflated prices to shoot a little skeet or plink with a 22 right now. I got 10,000 large and small pistol primers plenty of cast bullets for the pistol calibers and 8 lbs of W231 but next to nothing in brass.

But if I hit a few matches I’ll deplete pistol ammo pretty fast. I was looking for some stuff that I could just play / plink with and not worry if I got a wild hare and wanted to go shoot for score that I’d end up in a bulletless limbo.

Hey Tim what grain are those rocks and do you have any tracers?

I not out of ammo on hand I have a little over 800 rounds of .223, 500 in .40 S&W, 400 in .357 and 45acp, 300 in 9mm, 200 in 22LR and about 50 each of 12 and 20 ga suitable for clay plus damn few hunting rounds.

Dude, you ARE out of ammo!!! :)

Seriously though, what are you looking for? Just any gun that shoots something cheap and available?

• Like 1
Well, weekend practice is now 50rds instead of 500.

I went from using 308

... to 7.62x39

... to 22LR

... to dry-fire

Now I just go pew pew

Does make cleaning easier though.

So we wait. When this finally does slack up I am so at the range...

• Like 2

7.65x25 mm Tokarev is on the list, there are of course the pistols but there is also an AR upper chambered in it with a big drum available.

If I could get some brass I could fix a lot of the problem myself but I fixed my son up with ammo for a couple of Glock matches with multiple entries and they (range volunteers) keep the brass.

post-26137-0-98342600-1363962707_thumb.jpg

and whats the deal with all the 22 long hoarding?????? Not exactly a good war round.

I could do just about as much damage with a pellet gun.

People bought it up because they want to shoot recreationally. I don't believe it is being stockpiled as a "war round" like most other ammo. With the current price and availability of ammunition, having plenty of (relatively) cheap .22 on hand will allow one to shoot for fun until the madness dies down without digging into their "real" ammo cache.

Personally, I've been satisfying my shooting urges by taking out the old Mosin M44 with about 40 rounds of ammo at a time. (Bought a ton of it at the $80/440rds price.) I just take my time and shoot reeeeal slowly and make it last all afternoon.