Hey i just got my new vepr super 308 from my ffl 3 days ago. I'm really stoked and can't wait to shoot it. I'm kind of new to the firearm community, and i just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on a scope to mount on my new rifle. I know nothing about optics and even less about a good scope for the vepr. I've ordered a weaver rail to mount to the top. Anyone have any good suggestions?? It seems like the vepr is rare in the states and there is very little info on them out on the gun forums. I haven't even fired a shot and i already love this gun. It's a work of art in my eyes. I bought a cheap red dot for my saiga and had to return it 2 times before just trading it in for ammo. I want something nice for this rifle. Something I can get my moneys worth. 300- 400 bucks maybe?

Edited by OHIOGROWN

depends on what you want to do with it. many have went for just a POSP type scope. I chose a Phantom Menace, its actually just outside the proposed budget but it does have its drawbacks. the lever on the top mount actually creates an issue with the size of the objective.

I am not clear on whether the OP has a side or top mount super?

I have a top mount version and am very glad I went that route, even though the mount was not cheap. Right now I have an old Tasco Super Sniper 10x in some ARMS QD mounts on it that was laying around unused. I will have to play with it some more to decide if I want to keep it on there or get something a little bit smaller. I am thinking 4-6x in a good quality scope would be plenty as I don't see myself trying to take shots that would require more than that with this rifle.

As far as I could tell the op mentioned a weaver for the top so unless he meant the TWS rail I would think he was referring to the Kalinka top mount.

With my scope, 4-14x is a bit too high on the low end and a bit too low on the high end. But that's where we run into limitations with whats actually available. For closer targets you actually want to get down near 1x, but at 100 yards I found 14x was almost not enough...

A 44mm objective is actually 53mm on the outside of the casing. so really for something that fits better with the lever you would want 38mm objective or smaller, downside is limited field of view in doing so.. I just had a wild idea inspired by of all things a bicycle.... the quick release levers for the tires and even the seat would be much more ideal.....

• 1 month later...

Yeah it's the kalinka top mount. I bought my rifle from K-var. Like i said, i'm very new to this community and most of the above suggestions are french to me. Any links would be appreciated. I just got my tax return and spring bonus, so i could go above my original budget.

I didn't buy scope rings yet. I see there are 1', 30mm low profile and 30mm super low profile. Can anyone help me with that?

What type of shooting do you want to do with your rifle? Since you are new think about that, Do you want to run around the woods with the rifle slung over your shoulder? or do you prefer setting up a portable bench and shooting for the smallest groups possible? Do you intend to shoot the rifle at long ranges? or mostly closer work? list what you want to do and we will gladly give our opinions on what scope and rings would work best for us in that situation.

Here is what I wanted out of my rifle and what works for me.

I wanted to shoot from a portable bench to get the smallest groups possible out of my rifle, I also wanted to shoot at 500 yards and beyond, I do not have the top mount, I have the side mount but that is moot, whatever suits you is what matters. with my side mount I tried a burris fullfield 2 scope with 3-9x36 i think, and it had a ballistic reticle and had a 1" tube. that setup is good for running around the woods with the rifle slung over your shoulder, the 3-9 zoom is more than enough for taking shots without support and shooting game at any distances up to 500 yards. The scope isnt too big and heavy and it is possible to mount it with lower rings to get a decent cheek/chin weld.

Next to assist me in obtaining my original goal of shooting smallest groups from a bench at long ranges, I turned in that scope and got myself a burris M-tac 3.5-10x42 scope with mil reticle and mil turrets. This scope has a 30mm tube. The scope is bigger and i had to modify my side mount to accommodate the scope and my mission, to remove the top cover without removing the scope mount from the rifle, thus the rifle sits fairly high and without a pad there isnt even a chin weld. but the scope is perfect for shooting the smallest goups at 100 yards and shooting long ranges from a bench. The reticle and turrets are both in mils and i will be able to dial in the dope for any ammo i reload.

So, list what it is you want from your rifle, and pick the scope and rings that will accommodate your desires.

Thanks man! I'm looking for the slung over the shoulder, running through the woods gun. I have a nice remington 700 on layaway, so this rifle isn't for crazy long distances. I wanted a good quality semi auto rifle in 308, and with all the craziness in the usa these days, this seemed to be a great choice, especially for the price i paid. I've noticed guys complaining that the scope rings are too high and i wanted to buy the best ones out of the three i have to choose from. I appreciate the very quick response with all the details. This really is the best firearm forum!

Edited by OHIOGROWN

For slung over the shoulder a scope with 3-9x36 or similar will be perfect, even a 2-7x32 will be just fine, and buy the rings once you have gotten the scope in hand, because there is no way to predict what height you need until you have the scope with you. A scope with duplex or with a ballistic drop chart would be best in my eyes, leave the bigger and more fancy scopes for the Remington, What are the 3 you have chosen?

if you kept with the small 32-36 objective than the "super low profile" would be a good fit.

The 30 mm and 1" refer to the scope body diameter. 30 mm tube will not fit 1" rings obviously

1" is kinda old school from what I have seen, 30 mm covers a large assortment of scopes, but make sure you verify the body diameter first before you buy your rings. most shops online if you choose to buy from an online retailer will have some sort of diagram or list of specifications on this. I would however suggest finding a local retailer instead. one issue you could run into is buying a scope with a canted reticle. and nobody likes a canted reticle place the scope flat on a level surface if it has a squared turret assembly(the place that has the elevation and windage dials) and look through it at something that is plum, if it lines up it should be ok if not its canted. It doesn't hurt to take a hunting buddy with you to help pick out a solid scope.

low profile and super low profile affect the height of the scope, the low pros are 10 mm taller than the super low profile.

I prefer mil dots or dashes but it all depends on what you are doing with it, for just general shooting its probably not a big deal and a traditional hunting reticle may get you to where you want to go.

Edited by Dracozny