Muzzle Brake Question

Apologies is this has been discusses so far however I cannot find an answer unique to my location. If I have a factory saiga 12 and replace the thread protector with a brake that does not change it's sporting configuration and does not make it fall under 922r correct? I have no intetion of using mags over 5 rounds or using a pistol grip due to my location. Thanks.

What is your location? If you want a specific answer to your location, we will have to know what it is...

If you are in the US and have a standard configured Saiga (they come from the factory with pistol grips and folding stocks sometimes), you probably have nothing to worry about. At least until the ATF or other authority having jurisdiction changes their fickle minds... Just make sure it is a US made brake and isn't considered a "silencer" (as some brakes tend to be considered so by the ATF).

That is as specific as I can get with no specific info from you. Enjoy the gun! big_smile.gif

*** Also, there are US made 5 round mags. To use these would violate 922r, since the mag counts as three compliance parts on an S12. USE ONLY FACTORY 5 MAGS. Personally, I suggest moving to a place with more liberty. I couldn't live in a place like that!

I don't follow your logic in thinking using US 5 rounders would violate 922r. The statute isn't triggered by presence or absence of foreign parts. When your gun is imported it is approved with more than 10 parts which would count if the act were triggered. However, because it has been approved under a "sporting" determination, the parts count doesn't matter. It only matters if the gun is substantially altered from its original form or it gets more than a certain number of naughty features. Recent studies have made it questionable whether a PG automaticaly triggers, but have clarified the still grey area that some where between 5 and 8 rounds mags are OK, and bigger trigger the act. The current consensus is that if it ever came to a test, 5 is the number that would matter. A US 5 rounder is not a new feature compared to a foreign 5 rounder. They both do the exact same thing.

They don't add any no-no features or substantially alter it from the form as imported. I personally don't think using US made 5 rounders in an OEM gun would cause any legal problems.

Then again, I am not a lawyer.

As for the Brakes, Tony Rumore has posted a few different ATF opinion letters confirming that a muzzle brake on a rifle constitutes a muzzle device for purposes of 922r, but not on a shotgun. So adding stuff on the end doesn't hurt your parts count right now, but it might if they ever change their mind about that.

• Like 1

The shotgun is a sporter configuration. No pistol grip, 5 round rus magazine, fixed stock. New Jersey cannot have pistol grips on semi auto shotguns nor can we have capacity over 5 rounds in a magazine. So the only legal thing I can swap out is the muzzle brake. Was going to put on an american made Molot GK-01 brake. Polish the bolt to make it feed better. I've converted 922 before but as it doesn't matter on this weapon.

I have a Molot style brake from CSS, I bought it because everything I read implied that it was the most effective. That being said it is also commonly understood that adding a brake on the end of an 18 inch barreled shotgun does not make a huge difference. The way I understand it the pressure in the bore is already dropping by the time it reaches that point so it limits the effect. I did not notice much difference in the felt recoil, a little but I did notice more of a difference in muzzle climb and the ability to reaquire the target for succesive shots. So my shot placement was greatly improved fast firing 3 round groups reduced the spread from about 10-12 inches at 25 feet to 5-6 inches

The more powerful the ammo, the bigger difference. If you are shooting wimpy shotshells, you won't feel a lot but you will be faster in timed runs of multiple shots.

So the consensus is as long as it doesn't leave the sporter configuration IE (5rd mags, straight stock) it does not fall under 922r correct? Gas Plug, Muzzle Device, handguard can all be swapped.

Yep.

And as long as your state doesn't have a problem with it, the izhmash saiganov stock was also an OEM import option on RAAC and EAA imports, so that is OK for those at least too.

If leaving it in sporter configuration I would swap out the plastic stock and forearm with some type of wood. You should be able to find a few options to suit your preference within your local laws. The basic factory plastic stuff is just too cheap feeling and has to go in my opinion. Even aftermarket plastic stocks feel much better.